GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard something last night on the news about a car hitting a motorcycle from behind on a highway.
Not sure where it happened, but a woman died in the accident.
If I heard right, the car driver fled the scene.
Does anyone know where this happened ??
does anyone know of a news link about the story.

Ride Safely
and Watch behind you...

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
NM, Dallas News finally posted the story this morning..

1 dead as car hits bike, sets off chain reaction

08:29 AM CDT on Monday, September 18, 2006
The Dallas Morning News

Police were looking for a black Mercedes convertible that investigators believe clipped a motorcycle on LBJ Freeway near the High Five interchange early Sunday, setting off a chain reaction that ended in the death of a woman.

Tasha Lumpkin, 23, of Dallas, died at Baylor University Medical Center. Police said that the 24-year-old man she was riding with was in critical condition at Baylor.

When the car hit their bike, it in turn struck a motorcycle driven by a 41-year-old man who was in critical condition at Parkland Memorial Hospital.

Police said the driver of the Mercedes was antagonizing the motorcyclists by speeding up and driving erratically before the collision.

The driver faces charges of failure to stop and render aid. Anyone with information can call the police department's vehicle crimes squad at 214-670-5817.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yellow Streak said:
NM, Dallas News finally posted the story this morning..

The driver faces charges of failure to stop and render aid. Anyone with information can call the police department's vehicle crimes squad at 214-670-5817.
That's all?!?!?! WHat about one count fo murder and two counts of attempted murder and whatever else we can throw at them taht will ensure they never see the outside world again!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
All the cops generally will say before investigating who said what is the charges they KNOW they can file... Hopefully they'll catch the SOB and some real charges will be made..

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Police said the driver of the Mercedes was antagonizing the motorcyclists by speeding up and driving erratically before the collision.
This should be the deciding factor on just how high a tree to hang the ******* from....

·
Registered
679 Posts
Don't need that high a tree, eh? Just a stout limb an inch or so taller than the driver. And a short rope.

Ride long and safe..and sometimes I think the old Testament had the right idea..an eye for an eye...

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I had a similiar happening this weekend. Woman was 5' from the rear of the bike at speeds from 45 to 75 mph. Told my SO to hang on in case I had to make some quick actions. Slowed down, woman would not pass. Sped up, she followed. Finally almost came to a stop in the middle of the road. She stopped right behind me. Started up and she followed again. She finally pulled pass me and made a left turn. I went after her, pulled in front of her and had SO get off and when I got off, she tried to run me down. Did get the plate, called 911 of course cell phone reception sucked. Finally got NJ State Police. They told me I had to "call the local municipal court office". Right... This was on a Sunday. I can honestly say I was glad I was not carrying a weapon because I would have put one right in her windshield. Never realized how furious I was untill my SO reminded me that I had kicked the side of her car when she tried to pass on a double yellow and pulled into us. It was almost like she was seeing just how far she could push. Cannot get a plate lookup for the address from PO friends as the system is very closed now. If I do, I will pay her a little vist just to express my opinion of her......

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
No topster,

That is the exact reason to have a weapon. :D :D

Sure beats kicking in the door with your boot and risking you and your S.O. to a bad wreck. :cry: :cry:

Oh, I see you live in NJ, the 2nd amendment doesn't apply there. :shock: :shock:

later..Randy

·
Registered
113 Posts
INTHEWIND said:
No topster,

That is the exact reason to have a weapon. :D :D

Sure beats kicking in the door with your boot and risking you and your S.O. to a bad wreck. :cry: :cry:

Oh, I see you live in NJ, the 2nd amendment doesn't apply there. :shock: :shock:

later..Randy
I agree. Guns would make for an interesting interchange. Seems like a great idea to me.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Let me clarify something. I was refering to a LEGAL carry weapon. I did not say anything about illegal weapons. As for the 2nd amendment in Jersey, In NJ, criminals are allowed to carry weapons without worry. I can pick up a machgun within 1-2 hrs if I want. Sure beats a hunting rifle or shotgun. We don't need the 2nd amendment in Jersey, we have the "Soprano Attitude".... "It's not just a TV show" :shock:

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Jerry,

Whats involved in getting a concealed carry permit in NJ?

I understand it is difficult. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I know they won't honor the Utah permit. :cry:

later..Randy

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Very difficult. You have to have a REAL need. Takes a long time. If you are politically connected, not as long a wait. If the local PD doesn't like you because you didn't buy tickets to the policeman's ball, forget about it, you will never get a CC. On the other hand, the criminal elements as usual can get ANY kind of weapon without a lot of effort. All you need is the dough and where to go. 9MM? all over the place. Tech 9? No problem. Sub mach gun? A little bit more money. .45? Easy peasy. Weapons are very easy to come by in the NYC/NJ area. Can get then any time of day within about 12 miles or so from where I live. For the smaller hand guys, within 1 mile or so. It is a shame the average citizen cannot protect himself and family, yet the criminals do the crime, do the time, and do the same crime over and over. I support the death penalty. You may waste a few innocents, but you will get most of the bad guys. Remember, the laws of society are not meant to protect everyone, just the majority...

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
That is a shame Jerry,

That's what we get for trying to be law abiding citizens. :oops: :oops:

I don't understand why the state can take away our right to defend ourselves.

The University of Utah tried to ban concealed weapons by permit carry, on campus, even though they are a state funded school. Well after 4 years in legal battles the Utah supreme court ruled that they can't do that. It is legal to carry concealed on campus with a permit now. :D :D

later..Randy

·
Registered
416 Posts
Sorry I'm late on seeing this. All involved parties had just left a club and one of the bikes had spun rocks on the Mercedes as he was leaving. Next thing you know, high speed antics on the freeway. The bike that was hit actually "brake checked" the guy in the Mercedes. Stupidity all the way around.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Todd Graham said:
Sorry I'm late on seeing this. All involved parties had just left a club and one of the bikes had spun rocks on the Mercedes as he was leaving. Next thing you know, high speed antics on the freeway. The bike that was hit actually "brake checked" the guy in the Mercedes. Stupidity all the way around.
I have brake checked a few in my time.
not too long ago, a woman was driving too close for my comfort, I hand motioned for her to back off, she didn't.
As I entered McKinney, from the South, I gave myself enough room to accelerate just in case things went unlike what I planned...
I locked it up .. stop and go traffic in that area.. she responded by hitting the ditch on the left of the highway ..
She decided it best to stay back after that ..

IMO the guy in the Mercedes should have stopped after hitting the bike, if it was just a foolish accident .. him running makes it look intentional ..
so on to the Hangin' Tree .. 8)

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Yellow Streak,

Why on earth would you brake check a 4000lb. car, you being on a 900lb. motorcycle?

Are you mental? :wink:

later..Randy

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
INTHEWIND said:
That is a shame Jerry,

That's what we get for trying to be law abiding citizens. :oops: :oops:

I don't understand why the state can take away our right to defend ourselves.

The University of Utah tried to ban concealed weapons by permit carry, on campus, even though they are a state funded school. Well after 4 years in legal battles the Utah supreme court ruled that they can't do that. It is legal to carry concealed on campus with a permit now. :D :D

later..Randy

IN NY state it is illegal to carry your CCW on to ANY educational campus, it's also illegal to carry in Queens, NY ( New York City ) but everybody does anyway. :roll:

·
Registered
19,443 Posts
topster said:
I had a similiar happening this weekend. Woman was 5' from the rear of the bike at speeds from 45 to 75 mph. Told my SO to hang on in case I had to make some quick actions. Slowed down, woman would not pass. Sped up, she followed. Finally almost came to a stop in the middle of the road. She stopped right behind me. Started up and she followed again. She finally pulled pass me and made a left turn. I went after her, pulled in front of her and had SO get off and when I got off, she tried to run me down. Did get the plate, called 911 of course cell phone reception sucked. Finally got NJ State Police. They told me I had to "call the local municipal court office". Right... This was on a Sunday. I can honestly say I was glad I was not carrying a weapon because I would have put one right in her windshield. Never realized how furious I was untill my SO reminded me that I had kicked the side of her car when she tried to pass on a double yellow and pulled into us. It was almost like she was seeing just how far she could push. Cannot get a plate lookup for the address from PO friends as the system is very closed now. If I do, I will pay her a little vist just to express my opinion of her......
I would have followed her sorry butt until she stpped and kicked her face in

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
INTHEWIND said:
Yellow Streak,

Why on earth would you brake check a 4000lb. car, you being on a 900lb. motorcycle?

Are you mental? :wink:

later..Randy
Some would say I am mental .. 8)
I had the room to throttle and get out of her way if she didn't get to the brake in time...

This brings up another Question .. Just how do you get someone off yer azz when they are following too closely, and won't pass if you try to let them ???
The left hand down, palm facing the car behind you, tap the brakes lightly a few times to flash the lights so they can see them... does not seem to work..
Cagers need to realize they can not stop as fast as we can.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts