GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi .a friend of mine worked a motorcycle wreck east of joplin mo today.Gold wing on I44 had a rear tire problem .He passed a car running aprox 80 mph and the driver said looked like tire was coming apart. bike flipped about four times and rider received some head trama. thats about all i know. What would have been the outcome if a runflat had been on the bike???????????????????

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I have known and still know three couples that had serious tire failure at speed on the interstate. I am 54 and have rode a long time and I am around many bikes and riders and several forum so although it is not a everyday situation it does happen . I had it happen to me one time quite a few years ago.

Normally the tire is properly inflated, at least on the morning check, exactly what caused it is very hard to determine once the tire is all separated and torn up, did a puncture contribute? Did the tread just peel off like it does sometimes? I only saw one tire up close after the accident and could not tell what caused the tire to blow out. I suspect some type of road hazard. But really not sure.

Where I got my new Run Flat mounted this morning they have the Run Flats on display, with two inch holes cut into them with a hole saw, as a demonstration as to their stability against road hazards.

Having never experienced a loss of air at speed with a Run Flat, I can only assume the result would be a lot different, for sure the tire is not going to fly apart, you would feel it a little squishy and stop and see what the deal was.

This new Dunlop 3D wintersport even though I have the flue and cannot go play has impressed me already, the bead fits perfect on the rim, no extra space, and I did play with it in the garage with no air in it, jumped on it, bounced it, broke the bead once to put the dyna beads in, and I am fairly sure it will not roll off the rim. It took a lot of force to break the bead and it had only been set 30 minutes, let it set for six months and it will be stuck big time.

I would hope that everyone who runs the interstate at high speeds would consider a Run Flat. Could very well save your life on one of those rare times a tire does delaminate.

Kit

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Someone told someone that told someone else.............until you know exactly what happened, this just looks like a whole lot of speculation ??????????

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

Three blow outs and two delaminations on this 2001 Goldwing in 223,000 miles. Pretty scary when it blows. I managed to keep from dumping it all three times, but I am sure it will eat the lunch of a few riders if it occurs with them..

With me on the bike, and stuff in the bags I am over 1100 pounds on a tire rated for 900 pounds (m/c tire) .. So, how safe is that tire at 85 mph ??

Now I run a car tire, it is rated at 1980 pounds, 15,000 miles on it so far, I feel safe, secure, warm and fuzzy thank you !!

JMHO :cool:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Someone the other day posted about the weight of the bike on the rear tire, It was pretty high, two up and pulling a trailer, I remember it did exceed the load rating of the tire. They went by one of those weigh scales and actually determined the weight on the rear, of course the trailer would weigh some too, just the same it is getting close.

Kit

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
With 60% of the 1100 pounds on the rear you would have 660 lbs on a tire rated for 900.
You are talking static weight, When you bring in Dynamic weight, acceleration, decceleration, G loads on bumps, G loads in turns. When that engine is putting torque on the rear of the bike, weight transfers to the rear due to the direction of the drive shaft !!

Now lets add in a hot summer day, say 112 degs F. Add in some rough roads.. Add in some speed !! Add in a slow leak !! Get the picture ??

I got that picture several times with this Winnebago I ride !! All three of my blow outs occurred on very hot days, driving very long distance, at some pretty good speed ~85MPH ..

One Metzler, One Avon and one Bridgstone, Bam !!!! Flop flop flop !!

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Man! I have heard more discombabulating tire stories than I should have heard. These motto tires scare me sheetless. I am planing to tour the US this Summer and one of my worries is what happens to those cementals when they hit that heat. Riding around on this rock I raise my air pressure as much as 5-7 lbs sometimes...I can't imagine riding in the dessert...

I just dont trust motto tires over the road. Then, where in the heck you get CT for your bike on the road, and mounted. Would I have to go on research-shopping spree?

I go right back to my perpetual bitch: This doggone motorcycle does not have an adequate tire built for it...its amazing!...

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

Nando, almost any town of size will have a tire store or shop, any shop will put it on the wheel, you lay the bike on its right side, pop the five lug nuts and hand them the wheel and tell em to do it.. Normally costs a whole lot less than a motorcycle shop... Any questions from them, Just tell em it is the trailer tire..... That covers their butt in any sort of liability suit !!

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
The 195/55/16 is available just about anywhere, in a small town it may not be available in a Run Flat, if not put it on there and air it up to 45 psi and continue to the next town. Or go on home, a regular CT with pressure in it will suprise you, they do pretty good. For sure it will get you home.

It would take something extreme to disable you in any event. I took the Kumho off yesterday to install the new 3D and I inspected the Kumho real good. It has right at 10,000 miles on it, just a bit less, and it is not even 1/3 worn out. It has a tiny bit of wear on the leading edges of all the first inside line of sipes. Cupping if you will, very slight and not a consideration as the sipes are so close together.

So if you start the tour with a fresh tire, barring running over a glass beer bottle or something, I think it is not a concern.

I do not know what the radials will do in the heat like arizona or mexico either, the 1800 is the first bike I have had with radial tires, but the old bias ply ones used to just melt. Little goo balls of rubber all up under the rear fender.

Kit

·
Love The DCT
11,781 Posts
The 195/55/16 is available just about anywhere, in a small town it may not be available in a Run Flat, if not put it on there and air it up to 45 psi and continue to the next town. Or go on home, a regular CT with pressure in it will suprise you, they do pretty good. For sure it will get you home.

It would take something extreme to disable you in any event. I took the Kumho off yesterday to install the new 3D and I inspected the Kumho real good. It has right at 10,000 miles on it, just a bit less, and it is not even 1/3 worn out. It has a tiny bit of wear on the leading edges of all the first inside line of sipes. Cupping if you will, very slight and not a consideration as the sipes are so close together.

So if you start the tour with a fresh tire, barring running over a glass beer bottle or something, I think it is not a concern.

I do not know what the radials will do in the heat like arizona or mexico either, the 1800 is the first bike I have had with radial tires, but the old bias ply ones used to just melt. Little goo balls of rubber all up under the rear fender.

Kit
Kit, I have MC tires on my bike and have crossed the Mojave desert many times without problems when the big thermometer in Baker, CA was reading well over 100 degrees F and the radial tires did not melt into little goo balls of rubber up under the rear fender. Properly inflated, your "Bstone" and Kumho won't melt either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts