GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motorcyclemom is on the road again, headin' west. Depending on the weather, we may not hear from her until she has the 100,000 done.

This photo was taken this morning as she left with her rig all back together again.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
It is always great to see another Magenta Wing. And it is even better to see one that is dirtier than mine.

That tells me that she really does ride!

Have a fun ride but be careful!

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Harvey,

She just has not been by Fred's in the last few thousand miles. The Tailwind Trailer was painted Saturday, so it was clean when it left here this morning.

Earlier this month, it looked like the photo below, after she was hit broadside by an S10 in Seattle.

Sheila will probably make it rain somewhere today.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I know she is glad to get her trailwind back every time I see her it comes up in the conversation.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Snoppy,
She put 8,300 miles on mine this month, actually in the last 21 days. I rode out with her a little while this morning, just to be sure everything was OK.

Looked pretty good on the road. We made sure when she gets out west Texas way, that the 80 mph speedlimits would be properly utilized.

Her bike has lots of power. I can guarantee that her Tailwind was full when she left here, and then a shopping basket full from Wal Mart was added.

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,701 Posts
Snoppy said:
I know she is glad to get her trailwind back every time I see her it comes up in the conversation.
Snoppy,

When are you gonna put some miles on your trailer?

It's OK now that you are retired. :D :wink:

Bob E.

P.S. Anytime you are ready for a 100 mile day let me know......I'm game....I think I can ride that far now!! :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Tom, you did a great job fixing the trailer!!!! If you didn't know you would think it was a brand new Tailwind!!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Sheila... You Rock Girl!!!! I am constantly amazed at the way you have stayed focused on your goal.

Tom - Now get busy on mine!!!

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BlueWing
The Tailwind body is made in 9 parts. Only the right side panel was damaged and it was replaced with a new one.

The bent wheel spindle was machined out and a new one put in.

The aft portion of the draw bar was damaged and replaced with a new one.

One jay hinge was bent and we repaled both of them.

The latch was sheared and a new one put in.

Sheila requested a couple of mods in the lid storage area.

The adjustable height hitch was a part of the new Draw Bar, and a large pleated pocket part of the new interior.

LED type licens plate light was exchanged for the old filiment type.

New Stone guard, new Gator Guard, new lid lifts.

All new bearings and seals, new interior, new paint, and it is the same as new.

I do not know the total mileage on her Tailwind but I think it is 40,000 to 50,000 or so.

My Tailwind is at 97,700. She ran through some debris and got the back tire of the bike and one trailer tire which she replaced.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Robeth in June I have a little trip planned around 10.000 mile round trip and yes it will be with the trailer, wish you were man enough to run with us big boys. We know you could of retired in January so now what your excuse.

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,701 Posts
Snoppy said:
Robeth in June I have a little trip planned around 10.000 mile round trip and yes it will be with the trailer, wish you were man enough to run with us big boys. We know you could of retired in January so now what your excuse.
Hey, Buddy, you're getting slow in your old age. It took you over a day to respond.

Guess I'm just not man enough. Retire? Me? I'm just a poor working stiff trying to make my way in life. Anyone got a clue? I know I haven't! :D :D

I'll keep dreaming of the day and be content with my 100 mile days. :roll:

Stay warm down there.

Bob E.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I am curious about a few things on these long rides....Does she have planned stops for oil changes,air filter changes, and new tires ? It seems that these rides can be quite costly in terms of maintenance alone. ..Let me try this,,tires every 12,000 miles at $450.00, oil change every 3,000 miles at $60.00, air filter change every 24,000 at $100.00.....so lets see if I can add this up......That is about $5,900...not including gas,motel and food!!!YOWZA !!!!Oh and I forgot,,what about tires on the trailer ??........Good Luck on your 100,000 mile journey.......

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
goldwinghen3

Who changes their oil every 3,000 miles? Well I do know one that does. I would guess that Sheila goes at least the recommended 8,000 miles. I have gone as many as 12,000 miles on a change when that is a month of riding.

My last tires lasted 23,000 and had rubber left. Sheila also has E3s on but not the 70 series back tire.

The trailer tires are not very expensive and go about 60,000 miles.

When Sheila catches her breath she can answer those kinds of things and to be sure it is no cakewalk.

On the house, 3 fire places and two wood stoves.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Tom Finch said:
goldwinghen3

Who changes their oil every 3,000 miles? Well I do know one that does. I would guess that Sheila goes at least the recommended 8,000 miles. I have gone as many as 12,000 miles on a change when that is a month of riding.

My last tires lasted 23,000 and had rubber left. Sheila also has E3s on but not the 70 series back tire.

The trailer tires are not very expensive and go about 60,000 miles.

When Sheila catches her breath she can answer those kinds of things and to be sure it is no cakewalk.

On the house, 3 fire places and two wood stoves.
I don't change my oil at 3,000 miles either, I usually do it around 6,000-8,000...as for tires,,I change them when needed too...I have had good luck with the Metz 880's currently I am at 11,000 on the front tire and it still looks great,,,the rear only has5,200 on it and it looks great too..I usually ride solo ( my SO rides once in awhile) and I am not an aggressive rider either, so that may explain how my tires will last a long time......thanx for your input.........Henry

1 - 20 of 21 Posts