GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Motorcycles and Wildlife - how close have you come?

• Never had a close call

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 - 2 close calls

• 3 - 5 close calls

• 6 - 10 close calls

• 11+ close calls

• Never hit an animal

• 1 - 2 animal strikes

• 3 - 5 animal strikes

• 6 - 10 animal strikes

• 11+ - and let us know how you survived all of these

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It sounds like Fred H. captured a near miss with a deer on video. I've had my own fun sharing our roadways with the critters and am curious how many others have had this experience.

Use your best judgment as to what qualifies as a near miss.
I know a few riders have gone down without actually hitting the animal that caused an accident. Lets call these a Hit for the sake of this poll.

Feel free to share your stories.

For the record:
I clipped a dog when I was in my teens, a fox 2 years ago and a Raccoon in November (this caused about $1,500 in damage and I didn't even go down).
As far as close calls go, I've shared the road with a couple of deer that weren't close enough to qualify, but I had a really close call with a pair of wild turkeys this year that will definitely go on the list.

EDITED:
My Bad - I didn't realize the system would prevent you from voting 2 different ways. Guess you will just have to pick what is the most appropriate single answer for your situation.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
It's all about fate.

Years ago, my ex and I were riding back from Oregon to Montana, We switched bikes just to change seating around. She had a Yamaha Maxim 750; I a Kaw LTD 700. Mine had a radar detector so she was in front. We came around a corner and six deer were standing in the road. Three went one way, three went the other, she went in between. One of them changed its mind and turned in front of her. She nailed it, it went down, she went over it. Total damage to the bike was a bent shift lever with a little fur stuck to it. Later I found droppings around the spark plugs. The deer did not fair so well. Dragging it off the road revealed it was kind of small - maybe 100-120 pounds. A larger one might have been a bigger issue!

·
Registered
19,440 Posts
I had a coyote run within inches of my front fender recently on Hwy 6. Been lucky. Alot has to do with number of deer population in your area

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Hit a 50 lb. dog last summer. Managed to stay up (luck not skill :D ). The poor dog did not fare so well. About $1,000 to the bike, and some crap cleaner to get the stains off the seat :wink: Had a few close calls with deer and some smaller creatures.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I hit a racoon on one of our Blue Knight's Charity Rides. It was at night and the little guy came right out of the woods by the road. Had a guy on a HD beside me so I had no where to go to avoid it.

Dep

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I had a deer cross so closely and so quickly in front of me last fall on my VTX1800 that I didn't even have time to roll the throttle forward or reach for the clutch or brake. I couldn't have missed him by more than a couple inches. I could see the individual hairs on his hind quarters right in front of my headlight. I'm still amazed that I didn't make contact. Scarey!

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I answered 11+ because I've lost track. Fortunately, I've avoided hitting big game with my motorcycle even though I seem to have 3 or 4 close calls with deer every riding season. I have hit numerous skunks, raccoons, porcupines, pheasants and grouse without serious damage to my bikes or myself. That's just the way it is on the northern plains.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Tom, you forgot the Eagle in Yellowstone. Or was it a buzzard? Game warden is still looking for you and I'm waiting on my reward for turning you in.

·
Whiny Member
460 Posts
I've been very lucky, haven't hit any animals that I know of. Well there was the pygmy rattler I ran over in my parking space but I forgot about that until just now.

Came home the other morning on FL-19 through the Ocala NF and was on high alert, counted about 80 plus obvious animal kills on the road. Saw one deer feeding by the road but that was it. Thing that got me was even though I was trying to be careful I just couldn't keep it slow, was about 5 over the limit (55) which was about 35 too high for the conditions. Freaking tractor trailer passed me in the fog with 15feet of visibility doing about 85, couldn't believe it.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Did the GEICO squirrel thing. It ran out in front of me then switched directions and the back wheel caught it. This probably don't count as a true animal strike due to the size of the critter. This past New Years eve I did hit a beagle size dog that folded up the the highway bars and the foot peg. That gave the guys riding behind me something to talk about.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
No strikes thank God but countless near misses of, Buzzards, smaller birds, dogs, squirrels, a couple of deer. But the worse one was just as I popped over a hill on a skinny two lane rural road running some twisties. I was moving on at a good clip leading a couple of other guys on sportbikes when suddenly we found an 1000+ lb. steer weaving and loping down the road in our lane, scarey. :22yikes:

·
Registered
296 Posts
I was riding in my subdivision when I noticed my neighbors dog playing with a softball. At the right moment he tossed it and I hit it with my front wheel.

Almost hit a cow once. Had a near miss with a buzzard.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Close calls=0. Oh, a couple of dogs have come pretty close,& deer have crossed within a few yards,but luckily i've missed these. Once came within inches of hitting a goose that had just taken flight.

Confirmed Kills: Quail on U.S. Rt 2 in N.Dak. Hit the top of my windsheild @ about 75mph on my 1500. Did not break the windsheild,but pleanty of debris.

Groundhog on U.S. 29 somewhere West of Charlottsville,Va.. Riding a H.D. '72 Superglide. Feet on hiway bars. Hit GH with my left boot,kicked it under the rear wheel. Good sized GH,thought i broke my foot. Probably would have if not for heavy steel toed boots.

Raccoon on Rt. 522 between Culpepper & Sperryville,Va

Too many squirrels to count.
stay safe,
the hobo

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I live in an area not far from a state park with a lake and a lot of forest with deer, turkey, livestock and American Bald Eagles.

On a brisk cold winter morning a couple of years ago I was going around a blind curve on a country road on my '94 GL1500SE when there in the middle of the road was a full grown Bald Eagle having breakfast on a rabbit that wasn't dead yet.

The Eagle refuse to move or give up any ground on the narrow road, causing me to take the shoulder to get around it.

That was a beautiful magnificent bird.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I was coming around a bend on my 250 when a rabbit came out of the bushes and clunked the rear tire.

Took a few minutes of sliding my butt across the seat to counter balance the bike - went back to see if I could at least take the little bunny wabbit off the road. No sign of him just some hole in the grass beside the road - I travelled on.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
My first animal strike was a **** that had just been hit. My fault as I learned from that one not to tailgate the vehicle in front of me :oops:

The second one was a german shephard dog that broke away from its owner. I did not go down only because the lord took over for me.. I was on my 1200 at the time.

The third one was a squirrel that darted out in front of me. I was only going about 20 mph or so. Still with the timing there was nothing I could do but hit him.

I have had two close calls with deer but have been very lucky both times. I have had to say thank you each time...

Ross

1 - 20 of 43 Posts