GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Copied from AMA Magazine, Nov 2006 page 20.

Another reason motorcycles are better than cars

This just in Americans are less likely to die riding motorcycles than driving cars.

That's the word from National Geographic magazine, which used stats from the National Safety Council to compare the odds of dying from all kinds of different causes, ranking them in order of likelihood.

First on the list was heart disease (1 in 5), followed by cancer (1 in7), stroke (1 in 24), and a motor-vehicle accident (1 in 84).

Tenth on the list was a motorcycle accident (1 in 1,020), which fell right between drowning (1 in 1,008) and fire or smoke (1 in 1,113). :shock:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hey Cap, would that be because less people ride motorcycles? :?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Statistics

Here's another stat,Cap'n.
Here in Virginia, you're much more likely to be a victim of a CARJACKING than a MOTORCYCLEJACKING,especially if you wear a helmet!!! :D
Motorcycles safer than cars? Damn right. I read it on the internet,so i know it's true. :p
Stay safe,y'all
the hobo

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I have now lost what little respect I had for the AMA if they are publishing that kind of garbage P.R.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Technically, it's not garbage. There is probably a certain probability that someone might die in a hurricane, though many people are never exposed to the danger.
I don't think the AMA would state that a motorcycle is safer than a car, per mile travelled, only that fewer people die in motorcycle accidents than car accidents overall.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I think the statistic is for the entire population. I am pretty certain that the odds change if you actually ride a motorcycle! I don't thnk I really want to see that stat, and I'm certain I don't want my wife to see it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The accident risk for motorcycles seems to be about twice that of automobile drivers. There could be any number of reasons for this; possibly it is because young drivers are more accident prone and motorcyclists are more likely to be young (the data compares all car drivers against all motorcycle riders without a breakdown by age or experience, etc). Intuitively I would have thought the risk to be much higher than that, seeing as the motorcyle is an exciting and vulnerable vehicle - so I am very happy to believe that the risk is only double.

Anyway, for what it is worth, that "double the risk" is what I discovered when reviewing accidents in the Ottawa Canada statistics some years back.

http://www.magma.ca/~nonimacm/collisio.pdf

Page 22

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I understand this correctly, one person out of every 84 (we're talking general population here) will die in a motor vehicle accident while only one person out of 1,020 (out of general population) will die due to a motorcycle accident.
Those are the odds these odd makers made, in the parameters they chose.

·
Registered
547 Posts
one person out of every 84 (we're talking general population here) will die in a motor vehicle accident while only one person out of 1,020 (out of general population) will die due to a motorcycle accident.
Using those numbers, the odds of dying in a motorcycle accident are 12 times higher than in a car. That's about what I would have expected.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Silverback said:
Technically, it's not garbage. There is probably a certain probability that someone might die in a hurricane, though many people are never exposed to the danger.
I don't think the AMA would state that a motorcycle is safer than a car, per mile travelled, only that fewer people die in motorcycle accidents than car accidents overall.
Silverback,
If they had stated it that way, I would not have had a problem with it, but they put a spin on it that says you are far less likely to get killed riding a bike than a car.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Silverback said:
one person out of every 84 (we're talking general population here) will die in a motor vehicle accident while only one person out of 1,020 (out of general population) will die due to a motorcycle accident.
Using those numbers, the odds of dying in a motorcycle accident are 12 times higher than in a car. That's about what I would have expected.
:?: :?: :?:

How ya figure.

For every 1020 people one dies in a motorcycle but 12 die in car accidents.

But that doesn't make it safer, because not everyone rides motorcycles, where pretty much everyone rides in a car.

How's the saying go??? 84% of statistics are worthless..

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Silverback said:
But, it's just the opposite in the quote above. 12 times as many people die as a result of a motor vehicle accident, compared to those that die of a motorcycle accident. So, other than the fact that 1,020 divided by 84 is about 12, how did you arrive at your conclusion?

As a motorcycle rider, exactly what your risk would be riding your motorcycle compared to driving a car cannot be determined from the information given.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I look at the risk of dying from a bike as 1-2 per 100 person years where
you are looking just at bike riders.

If there is a consolation, the 1-2% includes all bike deaths- including
riders that drink, untrained newbies, etc. I suspect I can improve those odds for myself quite a bit.

However, as stated above, statistics do not matter if it happens to you.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I just looked up the stats that I gathered from the US Bureau of Statistics a couple of years ago for an article that I wrote. Without going through all the numbers, you are 30 times more likely to be killed on a motorcycle than in a car. That was for 2003.

That number is based on deaths per miles driven for each type of vehicle, which is a far more accurate way of determining risk than using the entire population, which is what the AMA must have done.

Obviously, in the hands of a skilled rider, that risk is far lower. The agility and small size of a bike, plus the ability to see your surroundings better can do a good job of offsetting the exposure we have to being hit by vehicles far larger than we are. But statistically, riding is indeed more dangerous.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Gentlemen, I stand corrected. I ran the numbers through the calculator without looking closely at what they said. You're right, the numbers don't make any sense.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Silverback said:
Gentlemen, I stand corrected. I ran the numbers through the calculator without looking closely at what they said. You're right, the numbers don't make any sense.
I like your choice of bike color!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
If I never get on a motorcycle, my odds of dying on a bike are pretty much zero.

if I remember my statistics class........the problem with the numbers is the
exposure rate. That is what makes tons of quoted stats useless.

If I never get in an airplane......... I have absolutely zero odds of dying in a plane crash.

Exposure rates are everything when it comes to "truthful statistics"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts