GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was almost comical.. In this month's issue.. Some guy who apparently doesn't ride Wings much gets sent to Marysville to pick up "the first air-bag equipped Gold Wing released to the media." He then proceeds to take off for California and two days later (you guys remember July this year?) winds up in an ER in Colorado with heat exhaustion...

He said a lot of nice things about Wing, but obviously doesn't know much about hot weather touring...

Anybody see it? It's almost worth the price of mag...

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
yellow wolf said:
yeah guy talks about the air susp. on the wing,gheez
Yep, I noticed that also. Obviously he's not very Gold Wing savy. :oops:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
While I feel bad the guy ended up in the hospital, it appears he exceeded his capabilities or he is not a seasoned rider. If its reason 2, I don't think he was qualified to write anything on any motorcycle. It would be like putting me in the kitchen at a 5 star restaurant....I've cooked before, but....

·
Registered
373 Posts
Frankly, I was quite disappointed in the article.
Very little coverage (maybe two paragraphs) of the Wing's capabilities while he went on and on about the heat and his inability to deal with it.
From the look of his jacket, it doesn't look to me like he was prepared for warm weather riding. And, if he was trying to squeeze off a series of 500 mile days, he sure was mistaken in his approach. Doesn't seem to me that he stopped for liquids often enough (or, at least he doesn't mention stopping).
When I first turned to the article, I was excited about the possibility of reading about a road trip on a Wing. Then, there was a big let-down.
Such is life.
I thought the airbag article later in the same issue was relevant and intereting though....

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Isn't this an indication of what we read about? We have a journalist that is great with a typewriter and computer putting out 'information' on some subject he may or may not have a clue about. Obviously, he was not a motorcyclist, he is a writer. Every once in a while we get lucky and find a motorcyclist that is a writer, but that is rare. So, accept what you read at its face value. But he stayed at a Holiday Express.

We all know bikers can't write, right?......... :lol: :lol:

And I will have the Pepper Steak al la Lewis with the EC sause...... :chef2:

·
Registered
238 Posts
I didn't like his referring to my bike as the "Great White Whale," I have a white 2004. It makes you think it is too big. I know the real story, but those who have never ridden the GL 1800 could be confused.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Agree

I agree. Most of the article was about the problems with heat. Funny thing is, my wife and I were out there in the same area about the same time and in the same conditions, and had no problems. As a matter of fact, we did 734 miles the first day.

I ain't saying we are anything other than "ordinary" GL1800 riders, but both the SO and I have our Iron Butt certificates, and we have alwasy planned on contingencies like heat. That's why we have drink holders, drink every chance we get, and ride reasonably.

I think the author wanted to impress us all on how dedicated he was adn rode through adversity. Funny thing is, most of us do it all the time, and don't make a big deal out of it.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Name on the subject line of the thread

Motorcyclist Magazine article about a bad Gold Wing trip....
:lol:

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
I also read that article and thought it to ba waste of time.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
maybe he had the 'Comfort Package' turned on and didn't know it :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts