GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was poking around in YouTube this morning and ran into this first link, then followed it to the second one.

Mr RLAP Jerry Palladino says the Goldwing DCT is the hardest ride for parking lot / cop cone maneuvers. I can understand that. The surprise to me is the 2017 & earlier Goldwing is second. After that, BMW K1600 in 3rd, don't remember what was 4th, and then Indians 5th.

He clearly has his brand preferences but provides some substantive reasons for it re wheelbase, rake, flywheel weight, throttle response, etc.

For those of you that have experience across brands, do you agree?

·
Registered
51 Posts
My F6B is the only bike I’ve ever actively tried to turn in tight spaces, use counterweighting, or really test the limits of low speed leaning. My prior bikes I just walked like a noob, but I think my old RoadStar would have been just as challenging with it’s more forward foot position

·
Registered
344 Posts
My GL 1500 is very hard to turn in tight spaces.
I can do it most of the time, but I always feel like I'm right on the edge of losing it.

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
812 Posts
I recently had to renew my driver's license, but was unaware that I would have to take the actual driving test again since I'm over 75. I did it with my SUV, and then was told that to keep my motorcycle endorsement I would have to take the motorcycle test as well. I went home and came back with the only motorcycle I owned, my 2016 Goldwing. The test is absurdly unsuited for a big bike, but I foolishly decided to give it a try. One of the tests is a u-turn in a space just inches larger than the locked steering wheel u-turn capability of the Wing. I gave it my best but dropped the bike, which was an instant "Fail". What was worse was that I could not pick the bike up and of course the State employee would not help me. Fortunately there were two workmen who saw me drop it, and came over to help. The three of us righted the bike, with both of the workmen commenting that this was a very, very motorcycle. My inability to pick it up is what made me decide it was time to either get a lighter bike or a trike, and I ended up trading in the Goldwing for a CanAm Spyder. Tight u-turns are now a non-issue.

Reactions: Crookster

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
There's always somebody who thinks this product or that product is the worse/best for whatever.
But if you saw it on the internet, it has to be true!

Enjoy life!!

Rayjoe

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Hey Vito,

The only reason you failed that test is they sprung it on you cold. If you had had a chance to practice with a knowledgeable instructor you can learn to do it. As far as picking the bike up that's a problem for anybody in our age group. After all, it's 900 pounds!

Enjoy your CanAm!

Rayjoe

·
Registered
805 Posts
Hey Vito,

The only reason you failed that test is they sprung it on you cold. If you had had a chance to practice with a knowledgeable instructor you can learn to do it. As far as picking the bike up that's a problem for anybody in our age group. After all, it's 900 pounds!

Enjoy your CanAm!

Rayjoe
Not just our age group, I'd like to see anybody right a wing and not be surprised and working real hard.

·
Registered
82 Posts
There is a simple and easy way to pick up a fallen Gold Wing. I have done it many times even helping someone on the road with one fully loaded for a long trip. There are several videos on you tube about this. Once you know how it’s surprisingly easy.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Hey Vito,

Enjoy your CanAm!

Rayjoe
I expect IL like most states have the rules for driver's license renewals clearly spelled out and don't spring much of anything on you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was poking around in YouTube this morning and ran into this first link, then followed it to the second one.

Mr RLAP Jerry Palladino says the Goldwing DCT is the hardest ride for parking lot / cop cone maneuvers. I can understand that. The surprise to me is the 2017 & earlier Goldwing is second. After that, BMW K1600 in 3rd, don't remember what was 4th, and then Indians 5th.

He clearly has his brand preferences but provides some substantive reasons for it re wheelbase, rake, flywheel weight, throttle response, etc.

For those of you that have experience across brands, do you agree?

Been on Harleys for many years prior to buying my 2013 Wing.
Paladino is 100% correct.
A Wing is longer, heavier, has a different turning radius, rake, etc.
As he stated, "It can be done, but takes a lot of practice."
The truth is, most pleasure riders will not devote the time necessary to low speed maneuvers to be very proficient.
I saw many professional riders who didn't take the time to practice and they always had problems with the course.
Still have my Harley and can put it through the 18' course with no problem and did that for many years.
Several of us would put several bikes in a pattern and ride it.
We would challenge each other until someone dropped their bike and then give em heck when they did.
It was fun but made us all better riders.
Semi retired now and am no longer required to ride that course.
The course for Wings is 20' and I am not sure I could ride that course without more practice.
Many of the men I rode with who had Wings would ride the course in 2nd gear.
I also saw several of them smoke their clutches on the course.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Tour
433 Posts
IMHO MY 2018 GW is only harder at tight u turns because:
1. I do not practice enough
2. Lack of experience with DCT vs Friction Zone

I miss using the years of experience with low speed friction zone when I ride my DCT. Otherwise love the DCT

·
Registered
317 Posts
Harley Davidson is the easier of all motorcycles that I have owned in a parking lot drill. GL 1500 was much easier than my GL 1800 in a parking lot.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Vito,
Did they adjust the space fo a U-turn on the test based on the size of your bike? Riding a small bike in a space that doesn't present a challenge can be next to impossible with a large bike like the Gold Wing. And what does the U-turn test prove? Most people don't do tight U-turns, they find other ways to deal with turning around.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I bought my wing to tour on over thousands of highway miles not do circles in parking lots. I can walk in circles in a parking lot.

I would think a Boss Hog or some of those Big Dog choppers would be the worst. But I’m not the expert.

·
Registered
17,303 Posts
What was worse was that I could not pick the bike up and of course the State employee would not help me. Fortunately there were two workmen who saw me drop it, and came over to help. The three of us righted the bike, with both of the workmen commenting that this was a very, very motorcycle. My inability to pick it up is what made me decide it was time to either get a lighter bike or a trike,

prs

Reactions: Big_Bird

·
Registered
40 Posts
I may be mistaken, but I don't think the motorcycle test in Texas includes a U turn as part of the test. I know when I got my license many years ago, it didn't. When I read that about the U turn being part of the test, I tried to remember the last time I had to make a really tight U turn on any motorcycle I've ridden, and couldn't. Scraped pegs in twisties many times, but making U turns, not so much. I have turned around in a highway after discovering I was going the wrong way which technically is a U turn, but not what I consider a tight U turn. hmmmm.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts