GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I see now from the "related reading" links that this topic has gone around the horn here before. With a little more invective, some similar N/A tangents, and some balanced, reflective, "well, yeah, physics" concurrence.

IMHO nothing to get worked up about or debate. It just is. And I'll feel all the more powerful now and then when I do manage to pull off a tight turn within the 20' or 18' dimension.

Asked in the other thread, not here so far, but I'll answer it here: the reasoning behind the 18' turn as the coin of the realm is that's the width of a road with two 9' lanes -- sort of a common "reasonably small" standard. From there, it is what has been immortalized in the various motor officer training standards and competitions.

·
Registered
879 Posts
The Gold Wing is a big bike with a long wheelbase for a smoother touring experience. At speed, they handle exceptionally well for its size. A shorter wheelbase gets you better maneuverability - that's true. Great for the 3% of the time I'm in parking lots.

I spend 97% my riding time on backroads, twisties, boulevards, and highways. In the motorcycle groups I ride with, I hang just behind the sport bike and scrape pegs. You can ride the wheels off of a Gold Wing.

I'd rather focus on 95% of my riding and take more MSF courses than course where you feel like:

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

We all just need to be conscious that our bikes are heavy. Slow speed maneuvers require 110% attention.

BUT there are many motorcycle skills to master on the road and on the streets.

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have read many articles focusing on turning in a tight circle. I have had a Wing for ten years, a 2004 and now a 2021 DCT bagger. Both have reverse and the DCT has walking mode. What is the big deal about turning in a very tight circle? I understand stopping in a short distance and have set up a couple of buckets 18 feet apart and stopped from 25MPH between them. That is a valuable skill to practice. There just seems to be an inordinate amount of print devoted to turning in a parking lot when you have reverse if needed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It’s because of the dct. No friction zone= difficult for slow speed stuff. I tried to get good at slow speed stuff on a dct nc750x. Just could never get it down.

As cool as the dct is, I found myself desperately missing a manual clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have read many articles focusing on turning in a tight circle. I have had a Wing for ten years, a 2004 and now a 2021 DCT bagger. Both have reverse and the DCT has walking mode. What is the big deal about turning in a very tight circle? I understand stopping in a short distance and have set up a couple of buckets 18 feet apart and stopped from 25MPH between them. That is a valuable skill to practice. There just seems to be an inordinate amount of print devoted to turning in a parking lot when you have reverse if needed.
Her in IL at least, the MSF test now aligns to the DMV test, which means that more emphasis is placed on slow speed maneuvers than real world skills that will save your life (like braking). The old test was much more realistic to skills needed on the road....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yep. I don't spend a lot of time playing in parking lots. I've managed to navigate in them when necessary without any problems on any bike I've owned in my 57 years of riding. Having "tight turns" on driving/riding test makes little to no sense to me. Making a U-turn on a two lane road makes little sense to me in the first place. There are better places to turn around than doing a U-turn with the chance of on coming traffic at speed approaching before you complete the turn. Maybe part of the test should be "would you make a U-turn here or find a better/safer place to change directions?" If you answer U-turn, points taken away.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I have a 2020 DCT touring. The slow speed control is easier when in rain mode. Still use the rear brake and throttle for control. Can do the tight U turn quite easily.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It drives me crazy when I see guys make giant battleship U turns with their feet hanging down like a paper wasp. It’s a motorcycle. Not a tractor trailer. I think slow speed stuff is just as critical as high speed skills. Just an opinion from a guy who rides 40 hours a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 29 of 29 Posts