GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is good news for the owners of the Motorola Atrix with its dual core processor :thumbup:. The Gingerbread upgrade is now available for download.
I upgraded mine yesterday.
I estimate it makes this phone fast like lightning now. It has also opened up other sources to obtain Android applications like from Amazon.com.
It has made the Atrix a completely different Internet capable smart phone.
The keys and screen taps now work every time :bow:.
This phone works great as a wireless connection to my Scala G-4 power set headphone/mic system that I use as communications with my navigator (wife) and a third party has been connected to the G-4 with at least 1/2 mile range.
The phone will override any intercom communication with a short ring. I have discovered the Atrix fits perfectly in an Apple Iphone 3G cradle mount on my right clutch clamp. I just rotated the mount upside down on the standard 1" Ram ball and filed a notch for the on/off button and a small notch for the constant USB power source converter I have hidden under the bump inside the left cowl side. Just wrapped the little USB devil with Velcro and it jambed up in there and stays without falling. The wire is hidden under the cover on the bottom of the right handle bar.

I can now watch real time animated weather while using the phone at the same time.
No more lousy GPS weather crap (XM weather is a bad :joke:). JMHO
I do carry a small Zip-Loc freezer bag (in left cowl pocket) with the sliding lock thingy to cover the phone if it rains ;).

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
I'd sure like to play with one of those dual cores...

I'm holding off just another month (I hope) to see if the
Motorola Bionic "hype" is all that it's cracked up to be...

.. can't wait to try EMFB on it ...

Dennis

·
Registered
242 Posts
I also upgraded on Saturday morning and the battery life is much, much better. I used to be lucky to make it till 5pm before my battery was totally dead. Last night I had 60% left when setting my alarm clock. The speed is much improved, nothing hangs any more, UI is improved, can leave tasks running in the background now, etc. It made a huge difference for me. I was actually getting ready to take it back to AT&T, but am very glad I held out. I enjoy the Atrix much more than the iPhone. And yes, I still own my iPhone 3GS and my son has an iPhone 4, so I speak from hands on experience. Doubt I will ever go back.

I have a similar setup on my wing, but pair it with my Nuvi 760 and the Nuvi has the GL2WAY GPS to MIC connection. Finally got a noise isolator and now I can listen to CB, audio of choice (AM/FM or podcasts/music via the Atrix), make/receive calls, and don't have the annoying background interference any more. Plus I can use my GPS for maps and Atrix for radar. Last trip I took using EMFB I was able to stay just west of a line of thunderstorms the whole way from PA to NC using the combo. Life is good.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you have AT&T you can enable it as a WI-FI hot spot that can provide wireless access for up to 5 devices simultaneously. If you have any WI-FI capable devices on your bike with the WI-FI enabled, your other devices will connect :thumbup:. I carry a highly modified solid state ASUS 8" netbook in my trunk and use it for "Google Maps" and I even "Google Earth" Helicopter fly my routes that I create on the road using Mapsource to check the routes for errors. The same program I posted on the "Step by Step" board to check motorcycle routes for errors, then some confused slow study :shrug: moved it to the "OTB" so I deleted it. The BMW riders like it :shock:.
If anyone has an old Iphone that is out of service but still has a good battery in it, use it for internet:congrats:. It will connect to the Atrix WI-FI and all apps will function properly (can't waste the money you paid for the apps :yes1::lol:) however it will not function as a telephone :-(.
On AT&T it presently costs $45/Month to include 4 GIG's of data which includes the WI-FI hot spot feature.
Other services may have similar services but I like the coverage AT&T offers :bow:.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts