GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my friends new MT Adventure at my house helping install a CB. We ran it up on my ramps to check things underneath. I found an angle cross brace close to the reverse resistor that ran above the driveshaft from one side of the frame to the other and fastened with u bolts. It was drilled on each side of the drive shaft path but did not have anything around the driveshaft. I assume this is a safety that MT has installed to contain the driveshaft in case of u joint failure. If this is true, what does MT use around the drive shaft to the brace. It appears that it drilled for a u bolt but would like to know for sure.

As a side note I would strongly suggest anyone buying a trike either used or new jack it up and give it a GOOD check. You might be suprised what you find either not done or done incorrectly.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I don't recall for positive but think it should be a bent piece of flat bar about 3/4 wide.... Call MT and they will send you the piece, and the bolts. Or they should...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks George. I guess the flat bar has bolts or all thread welded to fasten it to the cross bar. I will relay this to him.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I had my friends new MT Adventure at my house helping install a CB. We ran it up on my ramps to check things underneath. I found an angle cross brace close to the reverse resistor that ran above the driveshaft from one side of the frame to the other and fastened with u bolts. It was drilled on each side of the drive shaft path but did not have anything around the driveshaft. I assume this is a safety that MT has installed to contain the driveshaft in case of u joint failure. If this is true, what does MT use around the drive shaft to the brace. It appears that it drilled for a u bolt but would like to know for sure.

As a side note I would strongly suggest anyone buying a trike either used or new jack it up and give it a GOOD check. You might be suprised what you find either not done or done incorrectly.

I have a 2010 MotorTrike Adventure Conversion on my 2006 GL1800. I saw some posts on a couple of forums about U-Joint Failure and a retrofit driveshaft retainer bar that MotorTrike produced. I called MotorTrike and they sent me one in the mail and I installed it myself. On my kit there is a piece that is made from flatbar that bolts to the cross piece you are referring to. It is bent to go under the drive shaft and bolt to the crossbar on either side of the drive shaft, keeping the driveshaft from falling down to the pavement in case of a front U-Joint failure. Also note that MotorTrike had a recall in early 2010 for replacement of the front U-Joint. The original front U-Joint did not have a grease fitting. The replacement U-Joint has a grease fitting. When you call MotorTrike you might ask them about the front U-joint also.

Sunman

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thought I would post an update. My friend called the installer with some of the issues he has. The installer is almost 300 miles away and offered to come get the trike and take care of any issue it has including the safety loop. They seem to be working everything out at this point. We are thinking about riding down for these repairs so he will be there to see what is done. Thanks again to George for the help and you Sunman for the helpful suggestions.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thought I would post an update. My friend called the installer with some of the issues he has. The installer is almost 300 miles away and offered to come get the trike and take care of any issue it has including the safety loop. They seem to be working everything out at this point. We are thinking about riding down for these repairs so he will be there to see what is done. Thanks again to George for the help and you Sunman for the helpful suggestions.
Good luck. Glad to haer that the installer is going to take care of it.

Sunman

1 - 6 of 6 Posts