GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the GWRRA trike board but thought although I have a 1500 you guys might be willing to help as well. I have a motortrike coupe conversion and am doing some winter PM. My question is what do you motortrike owners use to lube the heim joints and what is the procedure. I emailed motortrike and after the second correspondence was told to use white spray grease and not to use lithium. I was also told not to remove the ladder bars for cleaning and lube. I did remove them a couple yrs. ago, cleaned them really well and lubed. I feel that to clean and lube them properly that they must be removed. What do you guys do? I also feel that any grease will be a dust magnet and I would be much better off using a "dry" lubricant. Any suggestions for a product to use(silicone, etc.)? Thank you for any and all help.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
Roadhog,

I do it two ways and it seems to work for me I put a little over 20K on it this year and greased them twice. I use the RED water resistant lithium on a brush once and the other time I was in a hurry, and used the spray dry silicone on really heavy. I also check to see if I can move them back and forth ( with some effort not much ) If they move freely like they are loose I tighten them up just a little, Don't tighten them up so that they don't move at all though.

If you can find some stuff called "PDRP" Get it and use that. It is the best thing in the world for Heim's. You may have to go to an airport maint shop to find it and beg them to tell you where to get it. It is made for the heim, and is a corrosion preventer too. I had forgot about PDRP until recently while talking about air craft maint, and it hit me I used it on the heim's on the planes. Boink!!! :lol: :lol: Now I am on a quest to find some myself. I have a lead on it and as soon as I find out I will post it.

As far as the Ladder Bars, not me it is too much of a pain. I don't know about the 1500 but on the 1800 it is about a 7 hour job to do, and I just aint that motivated to get into that and take a chance on separating the body. That is what holds the whole thing together.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you George. I did not like the idea of lubing them when I did it because of attracting dirt. I still have some reservations about that. If you find the product you mentioned please do post it. I will be lurking. Thanks again Darrell

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
George Lewis found it for me on the web, and it wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be ( Web Price ) Store or Shop price may be a lot more, but we think that the price was per can by the case????????? of 12 cans. It is only $3.07 but X 12 + shipping is a bunch in my book. Here is the link.

http://www.protoolsdirect.com:80/product.asp?sku=20566

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I called several aircraft supply firms in San Antonio. None had heard of this product, but had what they thought was simular to it. I will call a one or two more here. Anyone else got any ideas?

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
The 710 is Lube/preventive. The 707 is just a preventive. The product in the link is the 710. I put 1 in the form and it came up as a single can with $4.95 shipping I think, about $8.02 shipped if I remember right. The Air Tractor Manufacture is in Olney about 35 miles from here and they use it, I am going to contact them to see if I can get it from them reasonable. If not I will just order a can of that and the "711" Penetrating oil it is also good stuff.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
George, I stopped by a NAPA auto parts store and they have a spray can of "waxy lubricant"....think this might be acceptable?

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
Well George, I'm not sure. I would think that if it is a comparative product it would be as good. As I understand it the waxy film properties of PDRP 710 has the rust preventive in it, the wax or paraffin base is the lube. If all else fails we can still get the Dry Silicone spray that they recommend. Just my luck that I used to use the PDRP around air craft and didn't stock pile some for myself. It can be bought off the web site that you found by the single can, but shipping is more than the product. Total cost is just over $8 from what I was able to see on their site. I don't know why I didn't think of looking for it before now ( now that I have it apart and working on it )

G

·
Here are a few web sites that carry the stuff...
The first one seens to be more consumer friendly with pricing.

http://rshughes.com/products/075577_90710.html
http://www.alphasourceintl.com/lub/rust_preventatives.htm
http://www.superkleendirect.com/browseproducts/SPRAYON-16-OZ-P.D.R.P.-GRADE-IV-PN--00710.HTML
http://www.qualichem.ca/item.asp?[C...Num=20&SubCatName=Lubricants&ProductIdNum=146

My question is what do you use to clean these (heim joints) things?
ANd do you silicone spray the airbags, or just leave them alone?

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
cjmitch, good work. I wonder if I could use on a motorcycle chain? It will be okay for my tractor as it says...I think I will order a couple of cans.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts