GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've bumped into yet another unhappy "my EZPass...." comment and it motivated to put this info together here for EZreference.

Put your EZPass under the front cowl. Set it and forget it. It takes all of about 10 minutes to do. It reads well/always, is totally out of your way, and away from prying eyes and hoodlums.

I ran into the idea here, c/o mhayes. Scroll down a few headings and there it is. Cowl removal is easy and you can get the idea from his pics and brief description. There's a more thorough treatment at the Windbender install instructions here.

These are mhayes' pictures of where it goes. I put mine on the left, rather than the right. Two sided tape is a little thinner than the velcro doodads that come with the transponder. Use two strips along the long dimension, top and bottom; I thought one strip in the center would be strong enough, but the curvature of the cowl prevents it from getting good contact.

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
also you have to take apart to change batteries ! throw it in front pocket ?

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can it be fastened to the bike instead of the cowl or will the windshield interfere?
Not sure. When I did this a long time ago, I remember some sliding bits for the windshield adjuster in the vicinity that I looked at to confirm clearance before copycatting. I bet you could avoid them and mount to the bike rather than the cowl if you really wanted to. I don't see what that gets you, though, and you'd then either be mounting the EZPass backwards, or be dealing with putting mounting tape on the stepped label side of it rather than the flat back to maintain the orientation they tell you to.

also you have to take apart to change batteries ! throw it in front pocket ?
Player's choice, UNCLEJOHN. Only an option, enjoy yours in the pocket. After a non-read there and another with it in my jacket pocket and then being waved around, I opted for this and it has worked well. Plus I've got one less thing in my pocket. My car EZPass is 10 years old and still going. I'll spend another 10 minutes on this a decade down the road to swap mine out on the bike if/when it needs replacement. BTW, mine are sealed and you can't change batteries, you replace the unit.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the transponder waterproof?
I don't think it is fully immersible waterproof, but it is certainly not delicate. Eminently humidity proof and splash proof, and it is fairly well sheltered up there. I've seen many folks with them mounted in the open on the back of their windshields (I did for a while and got sick of it), am not aware of any of them having problems, and it is more out of the wet under the cowl than it is there.

Thus ends the extent of my EZPass knowledge and advocacy. There are many options, this one is mine. No, correct that, it is mhayes' and I stole it for my own use and share it for yours.

Now I wish there was a clear How To for Sun Pass. I'll be transiting FL in the spring, it seems every other road is a toll road down there, and the nifty little stickers readily available for occasional use are advertised as no good for non-glass windshields.

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
Well, that seems like a neat place to put it. I mount mine on my farkle shelf now. Did have it in the left pocket. But after the second non-reading incident with traffic less than pleased behind me - I now have it where the transponder can get it, and if for some reason it doesn't like it should I can pick it up and wave it around till the dang thing does get picked up. I may be the only one with this issue, but I really don't want to get off the bike, lift the hood as it were and get the dang thing so the gate attendant can punch in the EZpass number printed on it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I keep it in the left pocket, my riding partner keeps his at home. They can read the plate and charge accordingly. One of our toll roads has a three plus lane that is free for motorcycles, we get charged a small fee each month.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I had mine on the windshield of my GL1500 and it never got me a green light there. I tried mounting it in the left rear side bag and it didn't work there. I now keep it in my left jacket pocket and I can't ever remember getting a green light with it there. One day last year I brought it to the EZ pass service center and asked to have it checked. The kind woman checked my account and said it may never get a green light because it is on a motorcycle. I've always been charged the correct toll and have never been penalized. Keeping it at home sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have an EZpass holder that mounts on my ram mount and has never had a problem being recognized . Don't know if anyone would steal it, can easily be traced.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I put mine under the cowl as in the OP, left side with supplied channel lock-type strips.
There are no changeable batteries in the EZPass transponder. The only time I've had to pull it in several years was when they upgraded and I had to switch them.
Has never not been read properly.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Register all vehicle with EZ Pass

We have one unit but have registered 2 cars and bike- i routinely drive thru EZ pass lane without unit- the toll gets deducted from our account. I do like the under cowl location out of sight and doest take up space in left pocket.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I keep my Sun Pass stuck to the left side in the trunk and have never received any notices. Works for me.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I place my EZPass under the windshield vent and spray it with black paint so it's not noticeable and kinda blends in with the dash.

Two years ago, due to weaken batteries it was replaced by Pennsylvania EZPass who promptly charged me $25.00 for defacing the EZPass with black spray paint.

It was $25.00 well spent!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I too keep mine under the windshield vent but I bought a black leather cover made just for the EZPass and it works great, but under the cowl is a very good idea also. ;)

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Mine has been mounted under the trunk lid for six years this March. I have had two or three misses but that's no big deal, my company fills out what ever paper work is needed. I have had it drop twice in real hot weather, but it drops in my trunk and that has never happened when I needed it. How hot would it get under the cowel? If it did drop, where would it go?

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Mine has been mounted under the trunk lid for six years this March. I have had two or three misses but that's no big deal, my company fills out what ever paper work is needed. I have had it drop twice in real hot weather, but it drops in my trunk and that has never happened when I needed it. How hot would it get under the cowel? If it did drop, where would it go?
I agree. Mine's been attached to the underside of my trunk lid for about 5 years. I used the 3M Dual Lock that came with the EZ-Pass. It has never dropped off and I rode through Nevada and Utah this past Summer in 100+ degree heat. I never have to think about taking it with me, because it's always there and if I ever need to replace the batteries or the unit, it is easy to get to, just open the trunk.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, here's a further dump of my arcane EZPass knowledge, jarred loose this morning by some single malt from last night that did some creative destruction and reopened a neural pathway.

Source: a few years ago I had to go to an EZPass service center to swap out a transponder. I had ordered a new one by calling in on the phone, and was sent by their rep what I was told was a "motorcycle" transponder. It wound up being nothing of the sort, a useless-to-me transponder for mounting on the front license plate that I needed to swap out for a regular EZPass. While waiting to get around to that, I had tried using one of the old ones on the bike in several different positions but it wasn't reading consistently. At the time I thought this was a problem, and I thought it was because its batteries were dying. So I took in my other two regular EZPasses, too, which were ~8 and ~10 years old at the time, to get them checked to see how they were doing in their old age.

What I found out from the grizzled but pleasant, talkative, and full of obscure knowledge little old EZPass matron was:

• the batteries on the two I had were tested and they were fine. After 10 years! Keep using them until they failed to read regularly. BTW, that was 2+ years ago and they're still reading fine.
  • if an EZPass fails to read occasionally on a vehicle that's registered to your account, no problem, it happens, their system is set up for it. They read your license plate, match it to your account, and bill you that way. They usually read the license plate anyway as a cross-check for, e.g. a stolen transponder, it's not a big deal.
  • if an EZPass fails to read regularly and they see a trend, they may eventually tire of it and issue you some warnings or penalty charges. It's more likely to happen out of state. That can happen on the backend from the photo and IT dudes, or in real life from some unlikely enforcement official who finds a pass missing or not mounted correctly. (see snippet below from their FAQ)
  • the failure to read that I experienced on the bike with a perfectly good EZPass was typical. It was not low batteries. It was mounting, pass orientation, etc.
So here's how I think this applies to what others are saying here.....

• Those of you that not getting consistent good reads either because of mounting choice or leaving the pass at home may be fine as long as your license plate is registered to your account. If you're on a discount plan, you probably will not see the discount.
  • You are taking a slight risk of some penalties. Probably very slight. But not zero. More if you are a regular traveler in an area away from your EZPass home state.
  • If you are worried about easy access for "changing batteries," you really are taking a long view. And hallucinating that there are batteries you can change. But if you are one who cross-decks your pass across multiple vehicles, then you need to have it somewhere very handy and under the cowl is not for you.
For a while, I mounted the new EZPass on the inside of my windshield with the included dual lock strips. I found it read ALL the time when there, and I never had any problems with it when I was experimenting with other locations. But I didn't like the look of it there, and it niggled at me that it would either fall off and bounce down the road, or get grabbed by some vandal (tough to steal because they're not much good unless you're in a stolen car, too). So I wound up carrying it in the right pocket most of the time and just putting it up when I was going to be riding through tolls. I thought about an aftermarket bike-specific mount but didn't want to bother with it. Then I bumped into mhayes' solution. I put it there, it still reads ALL the time, and those little naggy things I just listed went away.

It won't work for everyone. But it works for me because the 10-15 min time investment to do it has been more than compensated by no obsessive-compulsive worries about its security or incurring penalties, or Irish Catholic guilt about policy non-compliance. Yes, I have may have issues, but not with my EZPass! And because with one pass per vehicle I don't have to move it around. I will gladly pop open the cowl again in a decade+ to swap out the unit for a new one. As an added benefit, it's awfully close to what the mounting instructions direct so I think I could argue my way out of a fine in the highly unlikely event I ever got one. Heck, the reading system likes it better there than it does in my hand or my jacket pocket, correctly oriented; the only exception is that the cowl "windshield" is opaque, but not to RF.

CAC, re your
- if it dropped off the cowl, I think it would rattle around inside the cowl. I don't think it can escape.
- no idea or care how hot it gets in there, though I suspect a good bit cooler than the trunk. The 3M dual lock is good stuff, and I used a good industrial exterior tape that's solid, too. I'm surprised yours drops. Did you wipe with alcohol first?
- with the plate reads backup discussed above, I don't think there's any paperwork for a misread. Only in the unlikely event you get a citation for serial non-reading.

FYI, here's the snippet from the FAQ that speaks to non-placement penalties. I know each state runs their own program, I suspect there are some variations but on a common theme
Install the transponder exactly as shown in the instructions on page 3. Transponders installed incorrectly or not at all can result in toll-evasion violations, administrative fees or delays at the toll booth. In addition, customers subscribing to discount plans may be charged full fare for these transactions if their transponders are not installed properly, or are not installed at all.
OK. Enough said!! (for sure) There are many choices, to each his own, but now you have the flattened cat version of the issues behind the options.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
CAC, re your
- if it dropped off the cowl, I think it would rattle around inside the cowl. I don't think it can escape.
- no idea or care how hot it gets in there, though I suspect a good bit cooler than the trunk. The 3M dual lock is good stuff, and I used a good industrial exterior tape that's solid, too. I'm surprised yours drops. Did you wipe with alcohol first?
- with the plate reads backup discussed above, I don't think there's any paperwork for a misread. Only in the unlikely event you get a citation for serial non-reading.

FYI, here's the snippet from the FAQ that speaks to non-placement penalties. I know each state runs their own program, I suspect there are some variations but on a common theme

OK. Enough said!! (for sure) There are many choices, to each his own, but now you have the flattened cat version of the issues behind the options.[/QUOTE]

Big Bird,
I am not using the good 3M dual lock type that came with it. I removed it from a company vehicle and just used a black velcro. I'm sure that if I would ever put the good stuff on that it would never fall off. There is some paper work or atleast there used to be, because it got sent to my home and I just gave it to my office. They do take a nice picture that is tough to dispute...LOL. I'm not so sure that the times it happened that it wasn't a toll booth issue.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts