GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

We took our annual motorcycle vacation, this time to Durango a couple weeks ago.
It went great for the most part, with one possible exception.

Driving up Hwy 160 into the mountains out of Walsenberg, we ran into extremely heavy fog.
The westbound lanes, (going uphill), converted into two lanes with signs for slow traffic to keep right, except to pass.
The oncoming eastbound traffic had only a single lane.

I moved into the right lane, and slowed to around 40 Mph in the heaviest fog.
At that point the visibility was down to about a car length ahead.....
In the blink of an eye, this fool, in an oncoming car, had crossed the double yellow line into the westbound inside lane, passing a car at about 60 mph.

It was so instant that if I was not already in the right lane, we would have been hit head on without even time to let off the gas!

I would like to think that this idiot saw us in the far lane, and thought that there was enough space to fly around the car in front of him safely, and get back over.....but I know that is not the case.

I could not even see him coming in the fog until milliseconds before he flew past me, so I know he didnt see me either.

I guess it just wasn't our time to go......glad of that!

Other than that thought provoking event, the trip went great.
We made the 550 loop, Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Telluride, and never hit any rain the whole trip.

We did 2700 miles in 7 days.

Beautiful part of the US!

Mike

·
Registered
443 Posts
What does XM weather have to do with anything? :shrug:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Too bad you didn't have XM weather.

Forgot an 's' in the title.

..louie
So if there is fog, rain, strong winds, surface glare, setting sun, darkness, excessive sun we shouldn't ride? Guess you missed the point of the post. If you are a fair weather rider, your choice. But to call a fellow rider who doesn't make that same choice an idiot, really?

·
Registered
86 Posts
glad it went the way it did.
The last time I was in the fog I tried a trick I had read about. Wearing polarized sun glasses. It works, works real good, I also use them in heavy rain.
Give it a try. :doorag:

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
This happens all the time in the mountains if you ride
enough and you don't need fog for it to be close to
a sudden death expierence. Consider yourself lucky
and enjoy riding.

My wife & I were going into a tunnel on the BRP once
on our Kawasaki Concours going the speed limit and all
the sudden here comes reverse lights about 40MPH
straight at us. Was it a close call? You bet your azz, but
it is all part of mountain riding and you just learn to take
it in stride.

Don't let it ruin your riding, just enjoy" :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
What does XM weather have to do with anything? :shrug:
XM weather could have warned about thick fog. Once you're in fog, pulling over and stopping is dangerous in itself(perhaps more dangerous than continuing). If I knew that there was fog that thick I would do whatever I could to avoid it, but I wouldn't pull over to the side of the road once I was in it either. A car behind you may be following your tail-lights and you could end up a statistic. Unlike Louie:wrong:, I'm not going to call you an idiot because I don't think you were. I'm glad you made it out OK. I'm glad I have the XM weather feature on my bike though. I know there are times where I got into very strong winds that I likely would have tried to avoid. Once I hit them I had no safe way to avoid, just deal with them and stay as relaxed as possible for the remainder of the trip.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Not to start a flame war but does it seem that some people from the gw board are now over on this one? I seem to remember when most were rather civil and did not put others down quite so strongly!

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Don't know I'd be doing 40 with 20' visibility.

But that's me...

On the other hand, the D.W. passing in the fog needs a boot up the keaster.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Foggy!

Hey Mike, glad your trip was a good one! Sounds like a great ride! :thumbup: We have also been in some pea soup fog in the mountains and it was not the most fun part of the trip!
Lets hope "louie" keeps an eye on his XM weather so we dont have to share the road with him if it is foggy again. Or raining, cold, windy, overcast, humid, dry...

·
Registered
293 Posts
As long as you remember "people are stupid" you"ll at least have a head start on being OK. In any given situation just think "What's the stupidest thing anyone could do?" and react accordingly, even money says you'll be ahead.

·
Registered
19,462 Posts
Guys,

We took our annual motorcycle vacation, this time to Durango a couple weeks ago.
It went great for the most part, with one possible exception.

Driving up Hwy 160 into the mountains out of Walsenberg, we ran into extremely heavy fog.
The westbound lanes, (going uphill), converted into two lanes with signs for slow traffic to keep right, except to pass.
The oncoming eastbound traffic had only a single lane.

I moved into the right lane, and slowed to around 40 Mph in the heaviest fog.
At that point the visibility was down to about a car length ahead.....
In the blink of an eye, this fool, in an oncoming car, had crossed the double yellow line into the westbound inside lane, passing a car at about 60 mph.

It was so instant that if I was not already in the right lane, we would have been hit head on without even time to let off the gas!

I would like to think that this idiot saw us in the far lane, and thought that there was enough space to fly around the car in front of him safely, and get back over.....but I know that is not the case.

I could not even see him coming in the fog until milliseconds before he flew past me, so I know he didnt see me either.

I guess it just wasn't our time to go......glad of that!

Other than that thought provoking event, the trip went great.
We made the 550 loop, Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Telluride, and never hit any rain the whole trip.

We did 2700 miles in 7 days.

Beautiful part of the US!

Mike

Glad it worked out. When I have to ride in THICK FOG I put on the flashers

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Rode that same route a couple of years ago, fortunately not in the fog.

Had two seperate cagers pass on the yellow line coming toward us (group of three bikes) near Durango. Luckily we had enough room to move over because they sure didn't. Later one traveling beside me, just decided to come over in my lane.

Folks out there must just hate Motorcycles, or they are in a hurry to die. :shrug:

As for the fog, sometimes in the mountains you just cant avoid it.

Glad you made it through safely.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
The one thing you can count on in mountain riding is some fool is going to pass in a curve. No reason for it really, they just do. But the one thing for sure is they are going to do it.

Coming home last night I watched this happen.

Left hand turn, one of those Ford SUV, the big Expedition coming at the intersection from the opposite way and this toyota camry in the lane ahead of me. The light is green, the Expedition did slow the camry signaled started to turn, though better of it, almost stopped, then just turned right into the Expedition. No one was hurt, just a fender bender, so I just shook my head and went around them.

They are all crazy. And that is a fact.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for your responses guys.
It was a great trip anyway, even with the situation that didn't happen.

I know you are right, you can't let things worry you that didn't even happen, you just got to prepare to avoid putting yourself at risk as much as possible.

Within less than a minute it went from dense fog, to crystal clear visibility.

Take care,

Mike

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Well, my wing has a weather radio... direct from the National Weather Service... where they all get their weather anyway, including XM. That is to warn me if I don't see the fog as we usually go whether it's foggy or not as do other long distance riders. Usually do not particularly care what the weather is anyway. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Glad it worked out. When I have to ride in THICK FOG I put on the flashers
In fl thats against the law because it means you are off the road and in need of assistance. If a vehicle coming up behind you sees the flashers they will move over thinking you are on the shoulder.

·
Registered
522 Posts
If this happened on the morning of 7 Sept on Hwy 160, I rode thru the same fog, I was down to 15/20 mph. That was some thick fog, I had a +10 pucker factor.....lol

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
We have a 2 lane twisty road about 10 miles long not to far from my house, It's a major road between 2 cities, speed limit is 55MPH, There are several head on crashes on that road all the time because people don't want to drive behind someone going 55. They pass over a double line on a curve and POW, head on collision.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts