GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Contemplating my May trip to southern Utah, and Bryce is 1100+miles from Seattle. Has anyone got info. on the Wal-mart in Mt. Home. Size of parking lot, store hours etc. It is a long days pull in the RV towing the bike trailer and I was wondering on the feasibility of getting in late, taking a couple hour nap, picking up groceries (we always forget something) and continuing on.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Most Wal Marts are now Super Centers and open 24 hours a day and have ample room for a camper rig. Have you tried calling the store direct and talking to a member of management and asking them for information. I looked up the information at WalMart.com The store is located on American Legion Boulverard here is the number 205-587-0601

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
The area code for Idaho is 208.

The Wal-Mart in Mt. Home, ID is easily access from the interstate. However, if you want to knock about 50--55 miles off your drive that day, consider the Wal-Mart just off the interstate in Nampa, ID. Exit I-84 in Nampa, at the Garrity Rd. exit, go under the freeway overpass. You'll see a large auto dealer complex on your right, and the Wal-Mart is just past that on the right. You can turn directly off Garrity into the WM parking lot or turn right at the traffic light at Garrity & Franklin Rd, just a block down Garrity, for easier access to the upper part of the parking where no one parks. There's a gas station there as part of Sam's Club (if you're a member) as well as a Sams Club store. Across the street there is also an overpriced Chevron station. There are several fast food restaurants across Garrity from WM, and Nampa has a number of decent restaurants nearby. Meridian is just a few miles to the west and you don't have to get on the freeway to get there. Meridian has some great restaurants to choose from. Might be a good way to unwind after a long day driving.

·
Vendor
22,510 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Gents,
It's been suggested and I concur. If any of you are going to RV it to any destination across this great U.S., and you're planning to use a Walmart for an overnight lay-over, please, please go direct to the store manager and ASK for permission to stay. Many of the Walmarts have changed their policy on RV stays. It's for various reasons too. There's people out there that stay for a week, dump some holding tanks, (I and many others have seen it in person) leave trash, set up camp: cloths lines, plants other odds and ends etc. Walmart was gracious enough to grant us RVrs to stay in the beginning but as usual, there's always someone to ruin a good thing.

So, not to drag this point out but, if you go direct to the store manager or, someone of high rank in the store, and ask, and, tell them your only staying for the night, 99.99999999% of the time, they'll grant you permission. My wife and I always buy something even if we don't need it as a courtesy for their help in letting us stay. We use the Walmart in Mesquite NV every year on our trip to Moab UT for the Easter Jeep safari, all 15 RVs towing jeeps. The signs in the parking lot say no RVs but the manager and I have talked several times and he says those signs are for the reasons stated above, not the overnighters. 'Nough said.
Scott

·
Registered
1,792 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Overnight camping in many Wal-mart parking lots is not a Wal-mart issue, but a local municipality zoning issue.
The Wal-Mart here in Clermont, FL is posted by the county with "No over night parking" signs.
I also have seen a Wal-mart in Lancaster Co. PA with similar signs, posted by the local township. Many are at the request of local campgrounds, who feel they are loosing the revenue of the parking lot campers.

·
Registered
596 Posts
This just frosts my balls. People who go out and buy a high dollar motor coach and bitch about paying 20-30 dollars for an overnight stay.:wrong:

I own a motor home and have NEVER overnighted in a wall mart lot. I have stayed in a truck stop for a few hours of shut eye. The wife and I once saw a million dollar or so Prevost with a country couch conversion CAMP in a wall mart lot for the entire week we were at that vacation spot(can't remember the location). And I mean CAMPED OUT, all slides and awings out,bbq set up, chairs and tables set up, etc. What a cheap azz.

Plan you trip corectly and you won't be part of the problem that makes it hard for the rest of us that need to swing in for a few minutes to pick up supplies and get back on the road because the store or city ban coach parking there.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
The wife and I once saw a million dollar or so Prevost with a country couch conversion CAMP in a wall mart lot for the entire week we were at that vacation spot(can't remember the location). And I mean CAMPED OUT, all slides and awings out,bbq set up, chairs and tables set up, etc. What a cheap azz.
Kinda brings the term "trailer trash" to mind :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Having caught a snooze several times over the years and picked up odds and ends of goodies at Wal-marts I consider it a brief respite. Having talked to managers and some LEOs over the years the municipal signs often provide pc for officers to make contact with undesirables that truly are camping out, dogs included. My wife once bought a 50lb sack of dogfood for some such, I told her if she gave them money(meth-heads)the dog would see none of it. After camping out these folks were going to the mission for free breakfast in the AM. Also major urban areas are to be avoided in my opinion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts