GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I mounted my replacement KUMHO RF using my HF tire changer, Mojo lever, Ruglyde, finesse, and lots of patience. It's definitely a tougher tire to mount than a standard m/c tire, but I proved to myself it can be done.

My first KUMHO lasted 17k (it was used when I put it on so I don't know the total miles). I'm going to reduce the operating pressure to 32psi as the center of the tread wore significantly before the outer edge. But I really like the tire!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Nice job Tim...that's good to hear as I just acquired one of those changers. I have a shop that will do the BMT's for me, but between all the other wheels I have around here, I thought the changer would be good to have,

:congrats:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
You are one tough dude Timmer!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Today I mounted my replacement KUMHO RF using my HF tire changer, Mojo lever, Ruglyde, finesse, and lots of patience. It's definitely a tougher tire to mount than a standard m/c tire, but I proved to myself it can be done.

My first KUMHO lasted 17k (it was used when I put it on so I don't know the total miles). I'm going to reduce the operating pressure to 32psi as the center of the tread wore significantly before the outer edge. But I really like the tire!
Good job Tim, we are getting ready to put mine on hopefully this weekend. Maybe you can come down and give us some tips.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
You are THE man!!!

Using my HF, I got one side of a Kumho on, and after using three men and two boys trying to get the other side on, I gave up and went to Tires Plus . . . .

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hey TravelinLite,
It must be a Washington tough guy thing to mount a Kumho Run Flat.:nojoke:
Check out my thread about my experience of changing a Run Flat.

Timmer is a Tough Guy. Gooooooo Timmmmmmmmer:yes1: Timmer try 34psi

David
HondaMortch

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the compliments.

The first bead went on much easier than the second. The MOJO lever and lots of Ruglyde worked well. For the second bead I used the MOJO lever to get it about 7/8 on. Then, using the HF lever and much more Ruglyde, I pried it over the rim. It's not an easy task, but clearly can be done. And as those who know me, I'm not a particularly big person. I balanced the tire & rim using my self-built balancer before I practiced "Wing Tipping" to mount the rim and tire on the Wing.

Anyone who wants me to assist, PM me and we can probably work something out. My local riding area is a 3k radius around SEATAC airport. Those closer will get priority. :lol:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Anyone who wants me to assist, PM me and we can probably work something out. My local riding area is a 3k radius around SEATAC airport. Those closer will get priority. :lol:
I guess that puts me at the top of the list...LOL

·
Registered
883 Posts
My local riding area is a 3k radius around SEATAC airport. :lol:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:!

That should go into your signature line........

Sleddog

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the T-shirt to document it.

Tim in Burien, WA

·
Registered
419 Posts
Way to go Timmer. I just moved the tire from where the UPS guy dropped it off outside the garage and into the area where I work on the bike and thought I'd throw out my back and tear some biceps trying to mount it myself. It's one stiff tire.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I can't do it. You da man! :congrats:I can change front and rear mt fairly easy with my HF setup. I have always let my buddy install the RFCT on the big tire changer at work. . I tried to put my new RF on today with my HF setup for the wing ding trip next week but failed. I have the nomar demount bar and two of their spoon bars. I thing I need a couple more though. I had no trouble taking the old Kumoh off and putting the first new Sid back on. Guess I will take this one to work tomorrow.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Not that bad a job as long as you have a six pack to down and a couple of screwdrivers in addition to the HF bar. That and the ability to think clearly and be careful while you are half in the bag trying to put a run flat car tire on a motorcycle rim. Welcome to the club.:cool:

·
Registered
973 Posts
Hey TravelinLite,
It must be a Washington tough guy thing to mount a Kumho Run Flat.:nojoke:
Check out my thread about my experience of changing a Run Flat.

Timmer is a Tough Guy. Gooooooo Timmmmmmmmer:yes1: Timmer try 34psi

David
HondaMortch
I haven't mounted a Kumho RF but using a HF tire changing stand I mounted a 205/55 Continental RF. That was a a little tough. It was the first tire I ever mounted with a HF set up. I have also used it to mount a 195/65 Continental Vanco, three GW front tires and 10 (yes, ten) 245/45 17" automobile tires. The Vanco is not a run flat but it is rated for 1900 lbs and has some pretty stiff sidewalls. I don't think there is much toughness to it, its all about technique and the proper lubrication.

I have met Tim and like he says he isn't a big guy but he is pretty clever.

MM

·
Registered
99 Posts
Me and a friend tried to mount a Kuhmo on his cheep version of a nomar changer and got it half the way on ended up taking it to walmart they finished it for 5 bucks I tried a Dunlop e 3 on a HF and ended up breaking it so my hats off to you Timmer You Da Man:congrats:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

I see by your map that you haven't been to Michigan yet.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I read a thread a few weeks ago where the guy said that the bead of the run flat tire was damaged or broken and he did not discover that there was a problem until several days or weeks later.

Will soapy water detect a problem right away? Or is something else at work?

I had a Motorcity Powersports mount my Kumho and so far no problems.

:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts