GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pretty fresh set of Avon Cobras on the bike right now, installed late last fall. I have a set of spare wheels that had totally shot tires removed at that same time last fall, but they looked so lonesome all naked and just sitting there. So I had Shinhopples deliver their special free shipping pair at a great price. Ordered Thursday evening and arrived before noon today! The sun was not much help today in warming the tires, but the MoJo Lever did not mind. The B'stones are way easier to mount than the Cobras. The tires were practically in balance just the way they were marked, only the smallest Honda zinc weights required. So, barring too many nails and such, I should be set until late summer or fall.

prs

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Nice to have a spare set in waiting.

·
Registered
67 Posts
What do think about the Avons?

·
Registered
924 Posts
about 320 bucks shipped for both......shuinhopples or wingstuff.....great pricing compared to canada...300 bucks for the rear... :(

jer

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do think about the Avons?
Avons are relatively expensive here in the US. They are fairly stiff of sidewall, like E-3, so are more difficult to mount manually; but certainly not as tough as stretching a run flat car tire onto our rear rim. In my humble opinion, they have the best grip on wet, dry, or even dirty pavement of any tire you can use including the popular Alpin run flat car tire. The aggressive sipe pattern that lets them clear water and gravel also tends to let them develop the snow tire growl in sweepers after a few thousand miles , but not as much as the previous Venom R model. The Cobra tire is my favorite for fun in the mountains, but for slab touring and other more up-right riding I would choose a longer lasting tire for the rear, such as the posh riding Alpin. For all around riding, the B'stones are gonna be hard to beat for value and excellent grip/handling; draw back seems to be short service life if you push them hard.

prs

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
about 320 bucks shipped for both......shuinhopples or wingstuff.....great pricing compared to canada...300 bucks for the rear... :(

jer
WOW! Can you access Amazon, their price with PRIME is pretty decent, at least here in the US, not as good as BullDog's deal.

prs

·
Registered
924 Posts
import fees...taxes...more taxes..and then the tire service charge for the dump and our dollar being 10% less than yours because every country is trying to keep the US dollar from crashing and yes it's rediculous. That's why I try to put on the gear in the states before I come home....jer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts