GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 GL and I'm going to order a 595LM but I'd like to have it near the windshield up near the dash. Has anyone done this and how did you go about it?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, I have a couple good ideas here. Because I'm trying to get the GPS up and in front of me I'm going to try mounting it near the windshield. If, I come up with something useable I post it on this thread.

Thanks and ride safe.

·
Registered
373 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Does having the GPS mounted on the EZ-GPSMount help with reducing the glare on the shield? I am thinking maybe it would be cause if the sun were to your back the screen would be in the rider's shadow.

That is the biggest issue with my Garmin mounted on the left handle bar, even with a anti glare film installed and the unit set to night time it is still very hard to see much of the time.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Watching the video the GPS was washed out by the sun quite a bit. I do like the location of the GPS.
That was showing a NUVI so I'm wondering if the Zumo 595LM would be heavy enough to put stress cracks in the wind shield at the vent bolt holes.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
The glare on the GPS screen has a lot to do with you. It's much worse when I'm wearing my hi-viz than my black jacket. Same for helmet. Depending on your kit, angle it away from you.

+1 on high high high. I had it on the RAM ball on the left controls for a while, get the LONG arm. I have it mounted to a RAM ball stud in my Windbender now, high and top dead center, love it. Looking down sucks.

Sure, if you're a munchkin, you don't want it blocking your line of site. But unless you look through the vent, don't worry about it. And if you do, you've got other problems.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The glare on the GPS screen has a lot to do with you. It's much worse when I'm wearing my hi-viz than my black jacket. Same for helmet. Depending on your kit, angle it away from you.

+1 on high high high. I had it on the RAM ball on the left controls for a while, get the LONG arm. I have it mounted to a RAM ball stud in my Windbender now, high and top dead center, love it. Looking down sucks.

Sure, if you're a munchkin, you don't want it blocking your line of site. But unless you look through the vent, don't worry about it. And if you do, you've got other problems.
LOL, Big Bird do you have any pics of your install?
Dan

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Big Bird, do you have a pictures of the Ram Ball mounted on the wind bender? I'd like to see how you did it.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
RAM B ball with a 1/4-20 stud. Usually used for photography to put a ball on the bottom of a camera in the tripod mount. You need a 1/4-20 tap. Remove the top bolt from the windbender bracket, retap the hole, and replace it with the RAM ball.

Some of these are old pics. I've stopped using the RAM X-mount for phone and gone back to my hacked Otterbox cable on a long RAM arm off the handlebar controls. Also pictured.

For the GPS, a short RAM arm is great if you are OK with the screen being a little to one side. If you want it more centered, I found it best to use the weird RAM long arm that you can rotate in the middle, because the balls exiting the arm at 90deg get constrained in which way they can go and you can't get the angles right with the regular arm.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't have a pic, but I can go get one tomorrow if you want. I have a simple deck angle bracket (about 6" x 1 1/2") from Lowe's that I painted black after smoothing the edges with a hand file. Then I mounted a RAM ball on the 1 ½" leg, loosened the windshield clamps, slid the 6" piece down between the dash and the windshield, tightened the clamps back and mounted the GPS dead center and right on the dash. Rock solid and cost less than $4. Have moved this from my 1500 to my 1800 with great success. Can easily take it completely out if I want and throw it in the trunk. If you want pics, I'll get some, just let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Big Bird, thanks for the pic's. I like the idea of mounting high and near center. I have the next three days to work on something.

Weekendbiker, if you wouldn't mind posting a picture or two that would be appreciated. I would like to see what you came up with.
Dan

·
Registered
384 Posts
Similar to BigBird with a Madstad...

Similar to BigBird, with a homemade bracket with a Ram B ball mount. Unit shown is a 2757 Garmin (7")

Attachments

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The ram ball mounts bolted to the windshields looks like a great idea and a clean install.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the EZ Mount, too, and like it a lot. I did find that due to the extra weight on the windshield, it tended to loosen the windshield mounting screws and I added shims to snug it up. Other than that, it great.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts