GL1800Riders Forums banner

Mounting a Pelican 1620 to my luggage rack.

11K views 61 replies 24 participants last post by  gkarasik 
#1 ·
In what you all will learn is a never-ending series of bad ideas from me, I’m going to attempt to mount a Pelican 1620 case to the luggage rack on my 18 Goldwing. It’s bigger than the trunk I had on my Harley, and I think will meet all my storage needs. I’ll post updates as I inevitably fail miserably, and take pictures as it goes. I’m not crafty, mechanically inclined, or even that smart. Here goes nothing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
I plan on mounting the 1607 air to the top of my rear aux fuel tank. The air is a few inches smaller diameter but a bit lighter due to it being the air series. I specifically bought a non tour because I can have an aux cell and a pelican box with more storage that I can wheel into a hotel room compared to the tour trunks.

Good luck mounting it!

#4 · (Edited)
#6 ·
Looks like those are smaller than the pelican box? My wife’s FJR has a givi 52l box...the lid doesn’t like to shut right and feels clunky and thin plastic. I had to take the lid apart to fix the latch and it still shuts poorly. It also jammed and trapped a whole bunch of my stuff inside right before a rally and I had to use a screwdriver to basically pry it open.

The pelican is much more bulletproof and dependable. It has more room. It has wheels and can be wheeled into a hotel room compared to the givi/shad boxes that need to be carried. Also, I plan on mounting a luggage rack to the top of the pelican box that can hold my backpacking sized tent and sleeping bags (not heavy stuff but definitely bulky). Sure, the shad/givi boxes look better...but in my case function/form.

#7 ·
Like I said there form and then there is function. No disrespect was meant. I have used the Givi E55 with outstanding results, adding the Admore lighting. I do not know if Givi has a kit for the 18 Wing. I had a Shad but prefered the Givi for its quality. I just remembered seing a member here who had added a Shad. If you want to bolt an ugly black rectangular box to your bike I am definitely not telling you what to do. Its certainly your bike and you should do whatever makes you happy and satisfies your needs.

#10 ·
All good, didn’t take it as any disrespect. The FJR givi just turned me off from them because it just feels clunky and cheap for how much they charge for them. The Goldwing tip boxes are much higher quality feeling with their latch mechanisms. Just a bummer they are not large enough to fit a bit more inside.

For what I intend to do with mine and rallying the pelican box will do well. It will keep my rally computer safe inside too. I especially like being able to pack stuff in it and wheel it into the hotel at the end of the day. I intend to pack everything I need for the night in the pelican box so I can walk away from the bike without needing to even check the side boxes and be in the room within minutes with everything I need. Every minute during a rally is important.

#11 ·
It definitely sounds like the Pelican will provide you with options that no other box is going to. Are you attaching to the base plate under the rear cover? You mentioned some CNC brackets. Interested to see how that case detaches, it sounds like a quick release install is what you will be using. Post up when you get things going.

#12 ·
Another long distance rally rider/fabricator is building my setup...but yes, I know it anchors under the rear plastics and I believe it goes to the baseplate bolt locations. It’s super sturdy the way he did his (it needs to be since it is about 55lbs for the aux tank and another 25+ for the loaded pelican box). He figured out some quick detach mount for the pelican box.

I will post some pictures when it’s all done :)

#17 ·
IMHO the Pelican gives the bike a BMW GS-ish, utilitarian look. Some GW riders may sneer, but I'd run it if needing extra storage space. It only takes a few bolts to install/remove, so its not like its a permanent mod, or something was modified on the bike in order to accommodate it. Your bike, your decision. Enjoy!

#16 · (Edited)
This is all in good fun so don't get too upset....

You took a beautiful motorcycle and gave it a "Bubba" makeover and now all I can see when I look at these pics is a pelican case.

Here is another mod you might be interested in, they claim it will extend the range of your current bike for at least another 100 miles:

In all seriousness, I understand the limits of the storage options for these bikes; however, I could never bring myself to going to the extremes of adding a pelican case for more storage unless it was for a specific situation. As a general storage bin....no. Granted, your bike and you might need the space but I think I will stick to taking the truck if I need the space before doing this. Props for throwing caution to the wind and fabricating something that works for you.

#25 ·
I like the look of the Tour trunk but the size and difficulty in quick removal makes me wish I had bought a standard model at times. I see Max has an option coming but its not as fast as removing a Givi or Shad. I guess the Honda trunk provides more comfort to my wife though. Guess good with the bad.

#29 ·
Did you see Max's video of his trunk removal kit that is coming out...it was just under 10 minutes to remove the trunk after his kit is installed. The tour trunk is by far the nicest looking and with only 10 minutes to install or remove thats the best option if you want to remove the trunk and reinstall the trunk as needed.

#33 ·
I hope that all is well and you never overload with weight you put into that trunk. If you do you will feel the front end being light or not solid in the ground. Could make for an interesting handling.

#37 ·
That’s Awesome! I can’t wait to see how you set up the quick disconnect! The look is rugged and functional! Love the sticker plan! My daughters are all into the sticker thing (and motorcycles)

The average age of the Goldwing crowd shines through on a lot of the comments...

“takes away the nice lines of the bike”
“beautiful motorcycle and gave it a "Bubba" makeover”
“Practical but ugly. I don't know whether that Pelican box can be painted or,...”

Seriously, leave the guy alone! Some folks on this forum are all concerned about their PRETTY BIKES and the next generations not having an interest in motorcycling... maybe we should be more encouragingi... just sayin

#38 · (Edited)
...........The average age of the Goldwing crowd shines through on a lot of the comments.......
I couldn’t agree more...

Honda has redesigned the wing to attract a new demographic....... and it’s working.

Dipping the bikes in chrome and LED lights has finally run its coarse. No more half ton fishing lures.

#39 · (Edited)
I will not dis anybody about what they want for their bikes.
I applaud them for their creativity.

I personally don't like the look, but that's me.
If I need extra storage, I'll just throw a bag on the rear seat or pack lighter.:smile2:
For the Goldwing folks, I like this one.
https://www.shadusa.com/collections/goldwing-f6b/products/goldwing-f6b-18-top-mount
https://www.shadusa.com/collections/sh59x-expandable/products/d0b59100
https://www.shadusa.com/collections/sh59x-expandable/products/d0b29kl

#43 ·
Hey, Good for you! You re-purposed something you already had and solved your luggage problem. Maybe someone could give you some ideas on how to construct a base in which you can quickly mount or dismount that box depending on need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.