GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the garage asking questions as I work. I am attempting to mount a tubular luggage rack. It came with no instructions or template. I know the old saying about measure three times, cut once...in this case drill once. Measure from where? How far back from backrest? Or should I just eyeball it so that it sits correctly?

Thanks,

·
Registered
221 Posts
I put the BigBike (Show Chrome) rack on my '02. Just kept eyeballing it until it looked right. I tried to keep it as far back on the trunk (near the passenger backrest) as possible in case I wanted to add the spoiler later on (which has never happened after 5 years). I used masking tape on the trunk lid to keep from scratching the paint while positioning the trunk rack. Use star washers to distribute the load.

Ed W.

·
Registered
927 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Check all the legs are the same length. If not they will distort the lid.
Creats closure problems.
Jas

·
Registered
927 Posts
Here is the instructions for the Big Bike Parts luggage rack.

Ride Safe
Ken

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
don't forget to put a spacer between the outer an inner trunk lid. Many people over tighten the bolts and squeeze the two lids to the point where the outer lid has a high chance of cracking

·
Registered
822 Posts
rack

also if you are installing the riser kit tape the riser to the leg set in place then mark for holes the riser will change the hole alinment .

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I would use BIG washers on both sides of the outer lid, for support. Forget the spacers between the lids (inner and outer).

JMHO

·
Smoky
1,190 Posts
I installed a Add On luggage rack on mine. I put a small piece of masking tape on each leg so I could set on trunk lid to get an idea where to put masking tape onto the truck lid. After putting tape on the truck lid, I set rack (with out the masking tape off the legs) on the lid and mark around rack legs so I know where to drill holes. Removed inner trunk liner. Drilled holes. Used the Star Washers on top and used thin fender washers (can get at a hardware store) on inside of the trunk lid. Bolted rack down and then put inner trunk liner back on. Has been on over 15k miles with no problems.
Hope this helps!
:beer3:
Frosty

·
Read Only
851 Posts
Frosty, that is exactly the way I did mine and it works great. Star washers are a must and well worth the 10 bucks.

·
Smoky
1,190 Posts
Frosty, that is exactly the way I did mine and it works great. Star washers are a must and well worth the 10 bucks.
Yes, I agree! If you don't buy them and your truck lid cracks, $10 will seem like a small price to pay :cry:! I think the thin fender washers are very important part as well!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts