GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Motorcylce cops are taught to do it on the right. I guess in case the kickstand fails (must be a holdover from the HD days).

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
wing-renter said:
Motorcylce cops are taught to do it on the right. I guess in case the kickstand fails (must be a holdover from the HD days).
Actually it prevents dismounts into on-coming traffic.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Whatever way is most comfortable and possible at the time. Doesn't really matter. When mounting, you want to end up facing forward. When dismounting, you want to end up with feet on the ground and the bike NOT falling over :oops: . Other than that...there are no style points...or a right/wrong way. :wink:

·
Registered
667 Posts
Any way you want to get on or off. Sometimes left sometimes right. When on my patrol bike i get off on the right to stay out of traffic. sometimes when my wife is with me and I want off first, i go right. There are no hard and fast rules except to land on your feet with the bike on the stand, or you rear on the seat.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Whether you go "Left" or "Right" makes little difference, aside from the safety aspect of rightside dismounts.

However, when mounting a Gold Wing, one must learn "The Gold Wing Hop". This is done by planting the left foot firmly on the ground to balance on one foot, while kicking out and up with the right foot in order to clear the rider seat, and not get hung on the backreat or, God forbid, the Co-Rider!!

It takes a little while to master this technique, but once you can perform it with skill and confidence, you can sit back at a rally point and watch all your Winger friends do this ritual dance!

The most important thing is that you get yourself seated facing forward! Beyond that, let your imagination runwild! :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
Your moto-cycle don't give a spit. The mount from the left is a carry over from horse riding days. Most horses get kinda usta to things being the same all the time, so folks saddeled-up from the left as a convention.

prs

·
Registered
19,048 Posts
No I think the mount from the left has alot to do with the bike leaning left on its kickstand, nothing to do with horses.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Left because that's where the side stand is, I used to ride horses and I have short legs. Getting on or off from the right would be about as awkward as trying to operate a right drive car.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I have always wished that Honda would put a side-stand on the right side also. I have had to park in so many situations that a side-stand on the right sure would have been nice. That way it wouldn't matter which side you dismount on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts