GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am looking for a little advise and guidance.

I want to add a apple phone mount to my handlebar area. Problem is I have a butler cup on one handle and my mount for my 595LM GPS on the other.

What is out there that I can use to add the phone on the handlebar either over the 595LM GPS mount or the Butler Cup? I don't want to put a holder on the front dash.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Dual ball on the left bar. One ball for Nav, other for a phone holder. I use a Ram X-grip

Greg
2004 GL1800
Rider 123, 2019 Tour of Honor
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Do you have a part number for the dual ball?

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I think I found what I was looking for.

A reservoir covered base ball, a double socket arm, and the X-grip universal phone holder with ball.

All for a low low price of $66.50 plus $17 for shipping. Hope it is packaged in gold for that price.

Order placed.

Hope the grip works fine...

·
Registered
933 Posts
How has the X grip worked? Any issues when falling off going over bumps, etc??
So far I have only about lost it once it about 70k miles. It was probably my fault since I had been taking out and putting it back alot that day taking pictures. Phone got cocked, one of the rubbers came loose and I hit pretty jarring bump. Cought it between my leg and fairing. Found that Cycle gear sells them in a package of 4 with adhesive for like $7.00.

Greg
2004 GL1800

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
X mount is junk.... get something else that screws and clamps.

JMHO...

:thumbup:

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the ram mount on the clutch side with the X mount. I forgot to attach the rubber tether to my IPhone 7 Plus installed with the Otter Box. On I-40 between Memphis and Jackson Tennessee after crossing a bridge I hit the bump and pothole at the transition off the bridge. It launched my iPhone out of the X-grip. No I did not catch it and I ran over it. Used my wife’s iPhone to pinpoint its location off the side of the road. Phone still worked, bent wavy like with cracked display. Otter box was destroyed though. Insurance bought me a new phone.
Lesson learned: If using the X-Grip, always use the tether!

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
If you use an Otterbox type protector on your phone, an extra belt holster can be used for a phone mount. It clips on securely, but I used a ponytail bungee pilfered from daughter's pile of them for a safety belt.

Use a Dremel tool to remove the belt clip. Then drill holes to match the RAM ball baseplate. The RAM ball mounts as it were to the back of the belt holster so it can be "faced up" while mounted on the bike.

Also, you will need to be able to bevel the holes in the Otterbox to take the screws that come with the RAM ball and baseplate.

Somewhere I have a photo that I'll find and upload later today.

Reactions: FTWingRiders

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I’ve used x-grips for years on everything from ATVs, motorcycles and vehicles. I put a piece of velcro on the center section (hooks) and then the soft loop section on the back of the phone. The soft loop section is good for the phone because it doesn’t interfere with anything and slips in to pockets well. Works wonderfully. I even have setups where I just place Velcro on flat surfaces on some stuff and just stick my phone to it.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
^ velcro is a good mitigation for the X-grip. Glueing on the rubber grip ends is a good idea, too. The spider web add on thing is very secure but too cumbersome IMHO.

I've had 3 friends lose phones on rides out of an X-grip. I didn't, but I tapped out.

Using the belt holster is a good idea @rickwinger. Instead of removing the belt clip, I mounted my ram ball diamond to the clip so I can rotate the phone between portrait and landscape mode. Not as if I do it very often, or ever really, BUT I CAN! ;)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I use a ball on the bars and a ball on the brake reservoir.
I’m happy with the “X-Grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I use a ball on the bars and a ball on the brake reservoir.
I’m happy with the “X-Grip.
I need to correct myself. I have one ball on the clutch res for my gps. I have one ball on my front brake res for my X-Grip and a butler system on the right side of the bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
90 Posts
I used the X grip until the other day. I read a post on here about a thing called quad lock. I switched to the Quad Lock with a ram mount 1 inch ball. It is great. It required me to buy a new case for my phone but the case I bought from quad lock is superior to the otter box I was using. The quad lock allows me to secure the phone in a quarter turn. And it ain't going no where. Easy on. Easy off. The x grip is too dangerous to risk the phone dropping out, and the arms where positioned so that they interfered with the side buttons on my phone. I used the rubber holder but it requires a lot of time and trouble to use. If you want an x-grip I will sell you mine very cheaply as I don't want it. It was attached to the clutch reservoir holder with two screws. Quad lock is awesome.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I believe it is this one RAM-B-309-6U

Greg
2004 GL1800
Both my MCs have this RAM mount - can use for phones, GPS, XM radio. Must have for ever bike.

Reactions: AOEsq

·
Registered
712 Posts
How has the X grip worked? Any issues when falling off going over bumps, etc??
No first hand experience BUT I've researched many, many posts here and on a H-D site. And I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

From what I've learned, the Ram X has some issues, with or without the rubber retainer/spider web thing. A number of people have indicated that yes, the mount can let the phone fall off when hitting bumps. For that reason I'm close to setting up a Ulanzi mount (#ST-02S) along with a short arm Ram connector. There is a guy from the H-D world who did a YouTube video of how to custom make one, too, but I can't locate it just now.

Search for "Cellphone Mount" posted by revrunt if you're interested. I was just in touch with him today and he indicated he might be posting some pix of what worked out for him.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Both my MCs have this RAM mount - can use for phones, GPS, XM radio. Must have for ever bike.
This is the two ball ram mount I bought. I also bought a short ram mount to hold the quad lock 1 inch ball mount.

·
Registered
666 Posts
My daughter had the X Grip & I never liked it. I think mine is a Kury one and I think it works really well. I've never had a problem with it, the phone stays secure, and it is fast & easy to install & remove the phone.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/182014448548677/posts/2632274696855961/

I just saw this link on Facebook. It is a brief video of replacing x grips with the quad lock and a ram mount. This is what I did, as stated earlier in this post. I am very happy with Quad. In fact I am going to get one for my tripod and desk at work. In the future if and when i change phones all i have to do is get a quad lock case that fits the new phone and I'm good to good. Very secure on my GL1800. No problem is the side buttons being pressed by the x grip arms, etc.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts