GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the EC IPod setup to hook it to the handlebar controls and want to mount it in the top box. The IPod is a HD based 120 gb Classic.

My question is "Should I build a foam "box" to isolate this thing from vibration or will a velcro'd in hard plastic case suffice?"

Also, is there any requirement to keep it seperated from the CB?

If you have any experience with this unit and installing it, advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would mount it with something to keep the vibrations from causing a problem. I have had my 30g HD lockup quite frequently

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Steve,

One of the most interesting and inexpensive mounting solutions for this type of iPod that I have seen is taking one of the cheap Glad or Ziploc storage containers and cutting a sponge to fit in the container and then hollowing out the sponge to fit the iPod.

This is the container I'm referring to:

Once you get everyting together, a small hole in the end will allow the cables to pass through and should provide good protection for your unit. How well the hard drive based iPod will work, you'll have to give it a try.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Before mounting it I would lay it on top pf the CB and then key the mic. while listening to music. You may discover you need some separation between the two devices.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I have my iPod in a gel sleeve that they sell next to the mp3 players everywhere. I just connect the audio plug to it and lay it in the left box. I used to connect a 12V power cord/adapter also but I would hear a buzzing sound with the power on so now I just use battery power only( lasts a very long time ).

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I have a 20gb 4th gen that would lock up when I had it hooked to the aux and placed in various locations.
Now I have it in the cd compartment laying on a piece of dense foam that I had laying around.I glued velcro to the foam to keep the iPod from sliding around.

I never thought about any cb interference.I will have to check that out!

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
This relic doesn't even have a hard drive but I mounted it in a foam package anyway. Another advantage to putting it in a foam shell is that you can work the controls. Dunno if your iPod thingy has a remote or not.

Attachments

·
Vendor
22,228 Posts
I have found that you will have less problems if the Ipod is able to move around a little, and is not rigidly mounted to anything. It needs freedom to be able to move when you hit a bump, and I think this is the key to keeping it from locking up. Just laying it on a soft cloth and letting it float in the glove box worked for me for many years on an older model.

I have now switched to the the flash memory based Nano, and doubt I will ever go back to an Ipod with a hard drive. It's just much more reliable. I am limited to 16gb of music, but I converted all my mp3's to aac format at 64bit, and I have over 500 cd's now loaded on my Nano and still have 5gb of space left. For listening to on a motorcycle, you don't need the higher bit rates anyway.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I keep mine in the left pocket w/12 volt plug in with velcro as a buffer on the bottom & never had it lockup on me. ELBANDO, Lewis at Electrical Connections has a great plug & play isolator that will keep any buzz or interference out of your tunes & it's cheap!:yes1:

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I keep mine in the left pocket w/12 volt plug in with velcro as a buffer on the bottom & never had it lockup on me. ELBANDO, Lewis at Electrical Connections has a great plug & play isolator that will keep any buzz or interference out of your tunes & it's cheap!:yes1:
sleuth, thanks for the info. I will get the filter from Electrical Connections.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts