GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm picking up an '08 with nav next weekend. I want to mount a cell phone, radar detector and cup holder. I want to use the Ram magnetic mount for the RD, have it now and really like it. For the phone, I'll either use a Ram finger mount, or a wireless charging mount I just ordered. My issue? With "conventional" bars, you can use the u-bolt mounts to attach a Ram ball and mount as many as you have room for. Not so with the GWs clipon style bars. I know you can get Ram ball mounts that mount off the controls (brake and clutch lever assys). But that only provides 2 mounts... Has anyone tackled this before? Thanks.

This cup holder base has an offset-it might be possible to mount it on top of a Ram ball-not sure. https://smile.amazon.com/Ciro-Holde...le+cup+holder&qid=1568565093&s=gateway&sr=8-7

This is the Ram ball mount I anticipate using: https://smile.amazon.com/Mount-Moto...t+motorcycle&qid=1568565672&s=gateway&sr=8-21

·
Registered
785 Posts
RAM makes the same mount but with two balls; one as shown and one pointed back toward you.

Butler makes a great cupholder/cup combo that mounts to the handlebars similar to the RAM and CIRO.

Or put a RAM double ball holder on each side. I have used both styles of RAM cupholders and prefer the adjustable height model unless you only use 12oz cans, The regular one is top heavy with taller bottles.

In the end though, I bought a Butler cup and mounting ring then bolted a RAM ball to the Butler ring.

Reactions: PastoT

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RAM makes the same mount but with two balls; one as shown and one pointed back toward you.

Butler makes a great cupholder/cup combo that mounts to the handlebars similar to the RAM and CIRO.

Or put a RAM double ball holder on each side. I have used both styles of RAM cupholders and prefer the adjustable height model unless you only use 12oz cans, The regular one is top heavy with taller bottles.

In the end though, I bought a Butler cup and mounting ring then bolted a RAM ball to the Butler ring.
Thanks for mentioning that, I hadn't seen that in my searching. I found it after looking more carefully on Amazon-it's on order.

·
Registered
888 Posts

·
Administrator
3,726 Posts
Looks like that would work well. Unfortunately both the links they provide to buy them are broken... Wonder if they are still in business.
Right now it is touch-and-go. Tom Finch is in very poor health, and the future of his company is in the air.

Glen

·
Registered
888 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I have a Farklebar with a power box for sale on this board.. Has 3 RAM ball mounts on it..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts