GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be changing my tires with a HF changer. Have done this on other bikes, but first time on GW.

I have seen a couple YouTube videos of sport bike riders using zip/tie wraps around the tire to keep it compressed, keep in the center of the wheel and make mounting easier.

Anyone tried this on a GW tire? Looks like it might be easier than wood block spacers.

Comments?

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I will be changing my tires with a HF changer. Have done this on other bikes, but first time on GW.

I have seen a couple YouTube videos of sport bike riders using zip/tie wraps around the tire to keep it compressed, keep in the center of the wheel and make mounting easier.

Anyone tried this on a GW tire? Looks like it might be easier than wood block spacers.

Comments?

Thanks
Mike
A ratchet strap will keep tire from spinning but the blocks of wood are the best and easiest i have found.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A ratchet strap will keep tire from spinning but the blocks of wood are the best and easiest i have found.
Thanks for the reply... think I will scrap the tie wrap idea.

Just went out and tried to compress the sidewalls of the new rear tire.

Little to no give on the sidewalls and I would need a come-along to get tie-wraps tightened. :shock:

Wood blocks - yes.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Thanks for the reply... think I will scrap the tie wrap idea.

Just went out and tried to compress the sidewalls of the new rear tire.

Little to no give on the sidewalls and I would need a come-along to get tie-wraps tightened. :shock:

Wood blocks - yes.
If its a run-flat it can be hard anyway you try it.

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
take wheel n tire walmart $10 and then go ride !:bow:;)

·
Registered
16,862 Posts
The GL18 tires are tougher than any others I have come across, the E-3 and Avon Venom R are/were particularly stiff. The Avon Cobra are not as troublesome and the B'stones and Metzelers are relatively easy. Warm the top side of the tire in the sum very well before mounting. Use a strap or other device to keep the rim from spinning in the HF MC adaptor, use a good tire lube, and use a MoJo Lever. If using the HF tire bar, use the rim protectors or at least cover the bar's contact areas with Gorilla Tape. No Mar Spoon Bars work well on tough rear tires, but the MoJo will do them well too. Wood blocks (I use three orange plastic chain say bucking wedges instead, put fat end toward center of rim) help. Get your tire bar set, push the area behind the bar down and in and go as far in that direction as you can, setting the blocks as you go,before levering and then the MoJo will do the rest. The first bead will force on by hand and no need for lever, just lube and getting the angle right. The excessive height of the HF with adaptor is a major drawback unless you are 7 feet tall. Bon courage!

prs

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Another tip...Wait for a warm / sunny day and put the tire in the sun for about 3 hours before you start and it will be a lot easier to work with.

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
2 or 3 blocks, a ratchet tie strap and a Mojo lever works great for me, it's sort of a learning experience the more u do the easier it gets :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
2 or 3 blocks, a ratchet tie strap and a Mojo lever works great for me, it's sort of a learning experience the more u do the easier it gets :thumbup:
Same here and I use liberal amount of NoMar tire lube. Without the Mojo lever It will be a tough job.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I prefer using UHMW blocks (3/4" thick) over wood blocks. Readily available at most wood working stores/sites. You can machine it with regular wood working tools. It is more slick and tougher than wood blocks (no splintering). Ease the edges and they make for very nice spacers to keep the tire down in the drop center.

Comments?

Thanks
Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts