GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it difficult to mount tires for the 1800 myself or should I have it done?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I watched a friend replace my rear tire last month in his garage. He did it all by hand, no automatic tools.

I wouldn't want to try it myself. Not terribly complicated, but a lot of hard work. I would, however, remove my wheels and take them in to a dealership to have them done in the future rather than letting them have my whole bike for a day. Unless, they would do it while I waited. Don't know the odds on that.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I bought a Harbor Freight tire changer,and did two sets with the help of a couple of friends.

It was difficult,but do-able,but since I found a local shop that would do it for 10.00 per wheel if I take the wheels to him,I decided it was worth 20 bucks to avoid the aggravation.
I sold the tire changer for enough to pay for the labor on a few tire changes.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I talked to a mechanic at the shop. He was hesitant to do the job, says last wing rear tire took 3 hours. says he had to remove saddle bags. That was my cue not to use him. The Honda dealer I bought the bike from is about a 3 hour round trip. Thought I might try it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The wheel removal is easy. If you need info, PM me. I'm not even that handy and can easily accomplish the rear tire. the front will take a little more work, but if you can do that part I would hope any cycle shop could mount the new tires.

·
Registered
918 Posts
My Honda dealer wants $40 per wheel, if I bring the wheels in or $80 per wheel if I bring the bike in and can't guarantee when he can get to it!

I found a guy who has all the good equipment and I bring the tires/wheels in hand he removes the old tire, gets rid of it, and mounts the new tire and balances on a computer balancer for $17 each while I wait.

Shop around.

·
Registered
418 Posts
First of all if you are going to do any wrenching on your bike i would advise you to get a set of fred harmons maintence dvd,s well worth the price.I got my courage to tackle the tires from freds dvd,s. i bought a brand new balancer off this board for $100.0 and harbor freight tire changer was $39.00 and the motorcycle adapter was another $39.00
and ijust recently found Nomar tire tools and changers they have. i bought
the bars for mounting the rear tire espically and i watched the video and i had the rear tire on in no time flat.

·
Registered
703 Posts
It amazes me that our dealers will not compete with other shops on jobs like tire changes. I remember when I worked at a service station (years ago), I could change all four wheels and balance them in 30 minutes. Even if you charged $75 per hour, that would be $37.50. They were not brought in, I removed them from the car.

If independant shops charge $10 or $15 bucks a wheel, why won't the dealers compete? I don't know.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. Pulled the rear-no problem. Did not have a torx but neighbor did and front came easy. I'll take to shop in the AM. Hopefully riding by weekend.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I get my MC tires from Hal, The rear CT from the local tire shop. Take the wheels off myself and take them to a local tire shop that has a machine to do aluminum mags. They change the tires for $10.00 each. I balance them myself with a balancer I purchased from http://www.marcparnes.com

When I was taking them to the dealer (off the Bike, $38.00 ea)(on the bike, $58.00 ea) plus the cost of the weights ($3.00 ea). Plus tax. It's a little more work, but well worth the savings.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Fred,
If you can get a job near Woodstock, Ga., I'll rent you a room really cheap.

P.S. Bring all you Goldwing tools :wink:

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Patriot,

You are a smart man and in business if I remember correctly.

$10 a wheel, will not cover the cost of changing and balancing a tire, not even factoring in the labor cost.

I suppose that some would like to purchase their tires elsewhere to save a few bucks as well. Ever hear of this?

Ins, Equip, Chem, Hand tools, Weights, Admin.

I don't like working for free. Does anyone?

When you changed those car tires so rapidly. were they steel wheels? Minimal caution required, used weights re used. 4 or 5 lug nuts each with an air gun.

If I could do your tires for 10 bucks, I would. But since I can't, I won't.

Bulldog

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well stated Bull Dog...a coats rim clamp changer RC 100 runs close to $3500.00 today and the coats solid state 700 computer spin balancer with motorcycle adaptor around the same...takes a lot of tire jobs to pay just for the good equipment that does not mark up your rims and properly balances your tire.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I got a new Bridgestone put on the front yesterday. I took the wheel to him. Charged me $139.40 for tire, mount and balance and a straight short chrome valve stem. Not as much as a finger print on the rim when I got it back. I was pleased!!

·
Registered
17,093 Posts
kudos to the BullDog. I demand an honest day's pay for an honest day's work and I demand a decent return on my my overhead investment..

IF you have a competent tire shop or such source avaialble to do the job; then pay the lady. I do the job myself. I relied upon Fred's good deads and hard work to get me started. THANKS Fred! I, too, had changed auto and equipment tires as a youngster; but these tires on the Harbor freight tool were a bear at first. Now its a piece of cake. I use the Harbor Frieght tool to break the beads and to serve as a work stand. I use the Harbor Freight long tool with duct tape wrap for protection to dismount the old tires slick as a button. I use the No-Mar GL1800 short tire irons to easily mount the new tire. No fuss, no strain. I balance with the Metzeler static balancer that Hal sells. Like many of us that do it ourselves, I take time to do teh little things that make me happy (cleaning the rims, replacing the valve stems, indexing the tires for balance with minimal weights, checking for bead leaks, etc.)

prs

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mounting tires

Took E 3's to shop at 9:00 AM got them out at 11:00 AM. Trip home and was riding at 1:30PM. BUT the front rim had a small ding I had to file, rear had some marks also. The tires really changed the ride of the bike. Really Great. I will definately buy the equipment and do the next job myself. [/code]

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Anyone know of a shop near New Orleans , Lafayette ... that will mount & balance tires if I bring my own tires and rims --for a REASONABLE charge?????

cosmic

1 - 19 of 19 Posts