GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had previously made a thread about wiring up a tour seat’s heating elements to a non-tour and determined that I have a way to do it.

What I didn’t ask is will a tour’s seat mount up to a non-tour bike? I’m assuming that they both use the same seat pan...does anyone know for sure though? Anyone with access to both styles of bikes able to try mounting a tour seat onto a non-tour to see if it attaches?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help. Just wanted to confirm that before I buy a tour seat.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I would just buy heating elements and install in your present seat. They are readily available and really not that hard to install. You would save significant dollars and no worries about fit. (Although I think they are the same)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would just buy heating elements and install in your present seat. They are readily available and really not that hard to install. You would save significant dollars and no worries about fit. (Although I think they are the same)
One of the other reasons I’m planning on buying a tour seat is so that I have a spare seat. If/when I sell this bike or if I crash it I probably will keep the seat and switch it to another 2018+ Wing. I know my insurance didn’t pay out extra for my seat on my 2003 when I crashed it and this Russell Day Long seat that I’m having built on the tour seat pan is about a $1500 seat build. I can get a tour seat for not too expensive so I will just keep my non tour seat in a box in the event that I want to swap the stock seat back onto the bike and keep my RDL for another bike.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone else try it before? Any big dealers of Wings have the ability to try it and see if swapping seats works? Would be nice to know for guys that want to buy aftermarket seats (or stock seats) from tour owners and vice versa for your owners that want to buy a seat from a non-tour owner.

·
Registered
162 Posts
i just looked at the parts diagram on wingstuff and they appear to be the exact same. the part numbers between the two seats are different but i suspect that is because of the heat.

·
Registered
106 Posts
here is idea
ride down to astech seats 320 s main jonesboro ind 46938 765-674-7448
astech seats.com

if you make appointment and wait takes few hours

they will rework the non tour seat as follows

reshape if needed lower a little and slave sides

add heater that connects to accy on fuse box switch on seat

add gel pad for softer ride

otd price 350.00

i did it

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here is idea
ride down to astech seats 320 s main jonesboro ind 46938 765-674-7448
astech seats.com

if you make appointment and wait takes few hours

they will rework the non tour seat as follows

reshape if needed lower a little and slave sides

add heater that connects to accy on fuse box switch on seat

add gel pad for softer ride

otd price 350.00

i did it
Thanks, I’m having a Russell Day Long seat built though. I’m planning to control the of the seat heaters plus all my other electronics through two neutrino black box units.

Didn’t want to have RDL built upon a tour seat and come to find out in the end that a tour seat won’t fit on to a non tour though. Thankfully it looks like it will :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts