GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting ready to go on a trip this week and after I pulled the wing outside of my shop (never had a mouse in there before) I opened my trunk and discovered a nest made up of yellow fiberglass insulation. I cleaned that out and started the bike. As I was getting ready to leave, I walked past the front of the bike and noticed my headlights weren't on. I tested all other lights, and everything else electronically seemed to work fine. I had high beams, just no low beams. Any suggestions on where I need to begin looking for a chewed wire? I still don't know how it got into my closed trunk??

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,191 Posts
Ummm. If you put it into reverse, will the low beams come on? This will tell you if the bulbs, fuse, and relay are OK or not. If they don't work in reverse, then check fuse #27 and then swap a bulb with a good one. If the fuse is good and the bulb swap doesn't work, then pull the seat and look for wiring damage.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I would start by pulling the seat off and looking under there. Good luck:eek:4::eek:4:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
check the bulbs they have been known to blow around the same time.

·
Registered
88 Posts
check the bulbs they have been known to blow around the same time.
:agree:
Check the bulbs first. Was recently looking at an 08 for sale. Same problem. Both bulbs were blown. (Funny part is seller didn't know it because he always rode with his fog lamps on. But he did think his lows were a little dim at night...!)

Here's what's out of the Service Manual for troubleshooting:
NOTE:
• The headlights go off when the starter/reverse switch is pushed for starting.​
• The low beam headlights remain on when the starter/reverse switch is pushed for reverse running.

Low beam headlights do not light with the ignition switch turned to “ON”
• Faulty bulbs
• Faulty HEADLIGHT LO relay (page 20-16)
• Faulty starter/reverse switch (page 20-35)
• Faulty diode (D21)
• Blown No. 9 fuse or No. 26 fuse (Check for a short circuit in the related wires if the fuse is blown again.)
• Loose or poor contact of related connectors
• Open circuit in related wires

Beyond this I suppose you'll have to make a very good visual inspection for evidence of rodent damage and if you don't find anything obvious, then work with techdude2000. He's the man when it comes to something like this, highly thought of on this forum, and he knows his chit!

Good luck!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Tip, for next year, Moth ball cakes in the trunk, hang on to engine guards, all four, steel wool up in the mufflers, small pan of anti-freeze under the engine, take old socks put moth balls in them put in your pockets & cubbies. OR GET A CAT, and remove the anti-freeze, but keep everything else

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,191 Posts
:agree:
Check the bulbs first. Was recently looking at an 08 for sale. Same problem. Both bulbs were blown. (Funny part is seller didn't know it because he always rode with his fog lamps on. But he did think his lows were a little dim at night...!)

Here's what's out of the Service Manual for troubleshooting:
NOTE:
• The headlights go off when the starter/reverse switch is pushed for starting.​
• The low beam headlights remain on when the starter/reverse switch is pushed for reverse running.

Low beam headlights do not light with the ignition switch turned to “ON”
• Faulty bulbs
• Faulty HEADLIGHT LO relay (page 20-16)
• Faulty starter/reverse switch (page 20-35)
• Faulty diode (D21)
• Blown No. 9 fuse or No. 26 fuse (Check for a short circuit in the related wires if the fuse is blown again.)
• Loose or poor contact of related connectors
• Open circuit in related wires

Beyond this I suppose you'll have to make a very good visual inspection for evidence of rodent damage and if you don't find anything obvious, then work with techdude2000. He's the man when it comes to something like this, highly thought of on this forum, and he knows his chit!

Good luck!

Thanks for the vote of confidence! By the way this info is from the 01-05 service manual and the fuses and diode that it talks about have changed numbers in the 06 and later. :thumbup:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for the vote of confidence! By the way this info is from the 01-05 service manual and the fuses and diode that it talks about have changed numbers in the 06 and later. :thumbup:
OOOPS, :oops: yup I should've caught that! Like I said, you're the man!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
263 Posts
The seat and the top shelter are definite to remove. I'm sure you will find the issue under the top area front to back. Likely, your air filter is jammed with the same stuff. Use some 1/4 opening screen and bend it over each inlet tube as you put it back together.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mothballs

Tip, for next year, Moth ball cakes in the trunk, hang on to engine guards, all four, steel wool up in the mufflers, small pan of anti-freeze under the engine, take old socks put moth balls in them put in your pockets & cubbies. OR GET A CAT, and remove the anti-freeze, but keep everything else

Have used the mothball trick for years and thought it worked. Had put my bike in a shed with cover on it and had put moth balls on seat on rags and in trunk. The little rodents actually crapped right on the mothballs. Also trtied Irish Spring soap and that didn't work

FYI

·
Registered
434 Posts
I still don't know how it got into my closed trunk??
I don't know how they get up to the trunk from the ground; there are a couple of paths. Once the mouse is up in the area around the helmet locks, there are a couple of open areas just inboard of the tail lights. There is a vertical panel just forward of the trunk latch called the Trunk Catch Cover. At each end of that panel, there is a fairly large gap. That's how they get in.

I found a mouse in my trunk giving birth one day. As I tried to capture it, it made a beeline for the left opening (leaving seconds-old babies every 6 inches) and went out there.

I ended up making a couple of screens for that area out of the same hardware cloth I used on my air intakes. I did check a couple of other Wings, and they all had the same openings.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I was getting ready to go on a trip this week and after I pulled the wing outside of my shop (never had a mouse in there before) I opened my trunk and discovered a nest made up of yellow fiberglass insulation. I cleaned that out and started the bike. As I was getting ready to leave, I walked past the front of the bike and noticed my headlights weren't on. I tested all other lights, and everything else electronically seemed to work fine. I had high beams, just no low beams. Any suggestions on where I need to begin looking for a chewed wire? I still don't know how it got into my closed trunk??
If a mouse made a nest in the closed trunk most likely he got into your air filter area?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I don't know how they get up to the trunk from the ground; there are a couple of paths. Once the mouse is up in the area around the helmet locks, there are a couple of open areas just inboard of the tail lights. There is a vertical panel just forward of the trunk latch called the Trunk Catch Cover. At each end of that panel, there is a fairly large gap. That's how they get in.

I found a mouse in my trunk giving birth one day. As I tried to capture it, it made a beeline for the left opening (leaving seconds-old babies every 6 inches) and went out there.

LMAO! When I was a teenager when the married lady husband came home early I left stuff every 6 inches of something else getting out the back door.:eek:4:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Forget the mothballs, all that got me when I had an issue with mice building a nest in my airbus every weekend was a bike that smelled like an old man's bike. Cleared bike of all nests ( under seat and airbus ) then moved bike to basement of house and surrounded with snap traps and glue traps. Have not seen any signs of mice since knock on wood.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I keep my bikes in a climate controlled building that was built purposely to keep mice and rodents out. And I have 2 outdoor cats that are good mousers. I just can't figure out how the little b*&%ards got in there.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No word yet, I think he fixed it and left for his trip. :shrug:
I haven't had a chance to dig into it yet. Been out of town. I'm going to tackle this tomorrow. All my other bikes are sitting there unscathed. It had to pick the wing.....

·
Registered
334 Posts
LMAO! When I was a teenager when the married lady husband came home early I left stuff every 6 inches of something else getting out the back door.:eek:4:
:thumbup:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,191 Posts
I haven't had a chance to dig into it yet. Been out of town. I'm going to tackle this tomorrow. All my other bikes are sitting there unscathed. It had to pick the wing.....
Cool, When you do get to it, go thru my post #2. If the lights come on during that test you will have to troubleshoot why the current going thru your starter/reverse switch is missing for the low beams, but there for the high beams. :shock: Let me know if I can assist. :thumbup:

Is there a chance you picked up the rodent when the bike was parked somewhere else and hauled him to your garage?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts