GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
every winter mice make nest in the trunk and the engine area of my goldwing. i have seen electronic mouse and rodent repellant devices on amazon and elsewhere that supposedly put out ultrasonic waves that supposedly drive mice away. Have any of you used them? do they work? there are hundreds. any particular one better than the other?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
466 Posts
We’ve used them in basement.

I don’t know if they work.

Mice are opportunistic. Since I plugged them in, we’ve done a better job of controlling access too, so I don’t know what to attribute the reduction to.

The mice in the outbuilding like the insulated space over my shop better than the motorcycles. Metal snap traps baited with peanut butter controls them. If I see mouse sign, I put traps out and catch one at a time until the traps remain unsprung. I don’t put the peanut better baited traps out unless I see sign. No sense in drawing them in from outdoors.

Reactions: Jim Jackson

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
For the first time in many years my GW will be in the garage in Michigan while I enjoy the sunny weather in Florida this winter.
As I've done in years past, I'll have a 5-gal bucket with about 4" of anti-freeze mix in the bottom of it setting in the garage. Only this year it will be right next to the GW.

Just put a 1/4" wood dowel across the top about 1" down from the top, through a can that will spin. Put peanut-butter on the can (I use 'chunky' because that's what I eat) and a 1"X3" ramp to the top of the bucket. The lil critters run up the ramp, jump to the can and spin right into the pond.

The ASPCA doesn't seem to mind. At least none of them have shown up to try the critters corralled for me. :laugh:

Reactions: Hoopdc and Pooch

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Bounce type dryer sheets help repel them. We use them in our camper and under the hood of snowmobiles over the summer. But, given access to a comfy spot, they will get in and cause trouble. When the weather cools down they are looking for places to shack up in.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Glue traps....

OK,... but if your not around to dispose of them,... they eventually begin to STINK!

A good back up though maybe around your Wing.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Bounce type dryer sheets help repel them. We use them in our camper and under the hood of snowmobiles over the summer. But, given access to a comfy spot, they will get in and cause trouble. When the weather cools down they are looking for places to shack up in.

Dryer sheets never worked for us. I put them in our 5th-wheel once... They chewed them all up and made nests out of them. :wink2:

·
Registered
927 Posts
Dryer sheets never worked for us. I put them in our 5th-wheel once... They chewed them all up and made nests out of them. :wink2:
Same results with the dryer sheets here. I’ve gone with the snap traps w/peanut butter. Just need to remember to check them frequently...they work!!. B.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Hot to one metal strip, ground to the other I'd figure, so mouse completes the circuit.
Unsure honestly, not my design.
Jus' never seen anything like it, thought I'd share :thumbup:

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
https://youtu.be/MHGWBHgJoBo
(you know you can't stop watchin'>:))
Does anyone know how that trap actually works ?
I use the 5 gallon bucket , water with a steel bar and plastic bottle peanut butter trick that the cruiser mentioned, it works great.
Around here this is the time of year when mice are wanting to move indoors for the winter.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
272 Posts
The Hagerty.com article (above) mentions using Dryer Sheets and Irish Spring soap. I've heard several reports/articles/forums that mention both of those as being effective.
Since winters here usually allow riding year around (with proper gear of course). I think I'll make up about 5 or 6 small mesh bags with Moth Balls, Dryer Sheets and Irish Spring soap chunks and hang them around the trike.
JFI: I've never had a rodent problem, but the cost of this "solution" is small enough to give it a try just in case.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Cab Fresh works for me. Powerful peppermint smell that smells good to me, but mice hate it. I used it under the seat of the ATV where the little buggers kept chewing the wiring. Used it under the hood of the P-car where they were chewing the engine guards. Worked great in both of those situations.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We have used Irish Spring Soap for years in our camper and have never had a mouse. It has to be the original fragrance. We shave one brick and put the shavings in a dish and then cut 4 or 5 more in half and place them in around the trailer. We put traps in but have never had to empty them. Moth balls work but hard to get rid of the smell in spring.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
every winter mice make nest in the trunk and the engine area of my goldwing. i have seen electronic mouse and rodent repellant devices on amazon and elsewhere that supposedly put out ultrasonic waves that supposedly drive mice away. Have any of you used them? do they work? there are hundreds. any particular one better than the other?

Thanks,
Dave

Go to your local SPCA rescue shelter and get a CAT. You'll be helping out our furry friends AND keeping the MICE away. Two good things to do!

I have two kitties, both of which I took in from the street. My house may have to be treated by Terminex for roaches, but I NEVER have mice. LOL!!

·
Registered
711 Posts

Thanks,
Dave
Glue traps are inhumane and the 5 gallon bucket shtick? Why? Just buy a box of d-Con pellets and follow the instructions. Let it sit by a tire. Done. Ever since I began using this in my garage I've only rarely heard or seen a mouse (like once every 3-4 years, and only for a night). Good stuff, Maynard.

Attachments

·
Registered
788 Posts
Glue traps are inhumane and the 5 gallon bucket shtick? Why? Just buy a box of d-Con pellets and follow the instructions. Let it sit by a tire. Done. Ever since I began using this in my garage I've only rarely heard or seen a mouse (like once every 3-4 years, and only for a night). Good stuff, Maynard.

D-con is my favorite, but haven't seen it around for a while.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts