GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2008 GL1800HPNA Dark Metallic Red
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a couple of photos of this but thought I'd share mine. Recently acquired '08. Had the top shelf off working on a heated grip problem and was reminded to take a look at the air filter. Glad I did!

That led to this...

·
Vendor
17,372 Posts
Hopefully the rodent didn't start chewing on wire harnesses.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Wow talk about chucked full.
Lucky you looked it over.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Did you place the mesh screen on the intake? It doesn't look like it would keep mice out.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Like everything they do, they stumble across it foraging for food then decide it’s a good place to hide and live. Warm and dark fits the bill!
It's also as far as they can go. They always go as far as they can. And it happens to be a nice secure living space, or at least a place to store their means of living.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
You need some rat poison ASAP in that garage.
Place poison away from the bike, at the other end(s) of the garage/building. The poison is bait, and while it kills them relatively soon, it's still bait and an attractant. You don't want to lure them toward the machine to investigate.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for sharing this. Reminded me of a related “rodent” issue from a number of years ago.

I used to feed the squirrels in my yard years ago.. after my Dodge Ram wouldn’t start one morning, found out squirrels had chewed up the wiring harness on the warm engine components. Then a remembered squirrels were just rats with pretty tails. I traded the squirrel food for a pellet gun and never again had a problem. Go figure...

·
Vendor
17,372 Posts

For 2 mice, that looks like more fun then a water bed :)

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
IMG_0863.JPG
This what I found in my air filter, I must have a mice family with rotted out teeth, hiding in garage somwplace.....

Ronnie
I now have that same screen on my bike as well now!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Did you place the mesh screen on the intake? It doesn't look like it would keep mice out.

That was my first thought too. It's a close call. Adults can get through an opening the size of a dime.

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
431 Posts
We bought some "Hardware Metal Cloth" and had the place that replaced our air filter install the wire over the intake vents. Just to be on the safe side.
Can't remember if i got it at TSC or Ace Hardware or Home Depot.

·
Registered
91 Posts
That was my first thought too. It's a close call. Adults can get through an opening the size of a dime.
+1. And... not all mice are adult mice. Looking at the picture, the plastic might deform a bit when the little guy is forcing his way through it. Might not be a permanent cure if there are mice about.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I've seen a couple of photos of this but thought I'd share mine. Recently acquired '08. Had the top shelf off working on a heated grip problem and was reminded to take a look at the air filter. Glad I did!
View attachment 375356

That led to this...

View attachment 375357 View attachment 375358
I don't know where you live(hint: fill out profile), but the best protection you can have for your garage is a CAT or two. I'm serious. I have 2 cats and NO MICE. Critters don't last too long around my house and garage.

Funny story I've told here before, but since you're new I'll tell it again. Before getting the cats, when my wife was vacuuming our bedroom, she moved a chair that was against the bay window, and she found a surprise...a bunch of Hershey chocolate miniature candy wrappers! The dadgum little critter had taken them out of the Candy Bowl, in the KITCHEN, for crying out loud, and taken them UPSTAIRS into our bedroom and eaten them under that CHAIR! I had accsued my wife of sneak-eating my little chocolate treasures, only to have to apologize to her after finding the REAL STEALER.

After that, I brought in cat from the street and rescued him, got him shots at the Vet, and we NEVER had a mouse problem again. Not to mention, that cat became my best buddy, and HE TRAINED me to feed, water, and give him treats anytime he pawed me. LOL!! He finally passed away and I took in two more from the street, who are still with my wife and I. And STILL no meeses! LOL!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
We bought some "Hardware Metal Cloth" and had the place that replaced our air filter install the wire over the intake vents. Just to be on the safe side.
Can't remember if i got it at TSC or Ace Hardware or Home Depot.
That's what I used too. It is manufactured in at least two mesh sizes :1/4" and 1/2". 1/2" is too big.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, a cat! I'm not sure how many litters a pair of mice can have in a year, but I suspect it's a considerable number. So when my "Mouser" kills one mouse I credit her with killing thousands of future mice.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts