GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2008 GL1800HPNA Dark Metallic Red
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I was a little concerned with the size of the openings in the mesh I used. I've put everything back together however so will consider an "upgrade" next time I dive in. I'm certain this contribution was from a prior owner since I don't have insulation in my shed as a source and I've just had it a short time.

Funny stories about the cats (I'm allergic) and the candy (Mrs. HooWing has largely outlawed that).

I don't have a ton of experience riding it yet for comparison but I took it out last night for a short run. It was snappy. Will see how the MPG goes with some long rides I'm planning for next week. The existing filter was a K&N which is what I have in my BMW. I replaced it with a HiFloPro (or something like that). I never know if these have any impact.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
...and I figured out where to update my location, bike, etc. Virginia Beach is known for it's lovely rats. I've had them in our crawl space (which I encapsulated last year) and had one get it's head stuck in the bird feeder because it got too much birdseed in its mouth and couldn't pull its head back. Died there with its body and tail dangling from the front.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Yes, a cat! I'm not sure how many litters a pair of mice can have in a year, but I suspect it's a considerable number. So when my "Mouser" kills one mouse I credit her with killing thousands of future mice.
And, you will know when they kill one because they will leave it at the foot of the door to the garage! HEY, LOOK what I got for you, DAD!!!!!!!!!

You got to love those little kitties!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I was a little concerned with the size of the openings in the mesh I used. I've put everything back together however so will consider an "upgrade" next time I dive in. I'm certain this contribution was from a prior owner since I don't have insulation in my shed as a source and I've just had it a short time.

You can also consider using as others on the forum have, the screening on the bottom of an old air filter.

Reactions: jlbc212

·
Registered
7,929 Posts
And, you will know when they kill one because they will leave it at the foot of the door to the garage! HEY, LOOK what I got for you, DAD!!!!!!!!!

You got to love those little kitties!
We've got a house cat by day and a fierce mouse 🐁 killer at night. Sleeps all day and howls to go out at night. Every night he deposits a mouse or 2 at the patio door. Wants to let us know that he's doing his share to keep the mouse
population down and for the last 2 1/2 yrs the garage is mouse free also.
He sleeps in that baby stroller that was given to my wife to use when she takes her small dog with bad legs for a walk. They start out walking and when the dog gets tired in the stroller she goes. I know rough life. :D

Reactions: jlbc212

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Be careful with those aftermarket air filters, they can supposedly mess up the airbox and let air in around the edges.

·
Registered
881 Posts

Funny stories about the cats (I'm allergic) and the candy (Mrs. HooWing has largely outlawed that).

I don't have a ton of experience riding it yet for comparison but I took it out last night for a short run. It was snappy. Will see how the MPG goes with some long rides I'm planning for next week. The existing filter was a K&N which is what I have in my BMW. I replaced it with a HiFloPro (or something like that). I never know if these have any impact.
One small problem with the K&N filter installation is that the seals that are in the air cleaner housing are removed to allow the filter fit properly. Then, when an OEM style replacement is installed, the seals need to be reinstalled to properly seal the air cleaner housing. Unfortunately, these seals do not have a separate part number. I do not know how they can be procured unless the prior owners kept them and you can get them from them.
GL1800 Air Cleaner.jpg

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
One small problem with the K&N filter installation is that the seals that are in the air cleaner housing are removed to allow the filter fit properly. Then, when an OEM style replacement is installed, the seals need to be reinstalled to properly seal the air cleaner housing. Unfortunately, these seals do not have a separate part number. I do not know how they can be procured unless the prior owners kept them and you can get them from them.
Of course. Guess I will fish the K&N out of the trashcan. Thanks for the heads up. I was hoping to remove the top shelf again. 😐

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
good rule of thumb.....if you can pass a dime thru a space, the mouse can get it's head thru...the body will always follow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So, @tamathumper you were saying to be careful of aftermarket air filters. @MichaelB explained the issue with installing K&N. I installed a Hiflofiltro HFA1921 I got from Amazon but is offered by a few reputable Goldwing suppliers. Frankly, I only ordered it from Amazon because I knew it would arrive before I take off on a trip on the bike next week. It seemed to fit fine other than the issue of not knowing to look for the gaskets. I did notice that the K&N was a more rubber-like frame where the Hiflofiltro was harder plastic. Is this a big problem?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The K&N flows too much dirt through the filter media for my taste. I used to run them on the Porsche 968 platform, but started using K&N socks on them to keep the dirt down - I didn't have much choice because the supercharger kit I installed required taking the stock airbox out and using the K&N conical style. Flowing more air at the filter doesn't help the GL1800 anyway, as the two little 40mm throttle bodies are the limiting factor, not the filter.

The K&N also, if memory serves, has a rubber flange that degrades badly over time, and there are some posts showing warped air boxes caused by aftermarket air filters as well. That's not my direct experience, but you can probably do a search for the relevant terms and come up with several posts from the last 12 months on the topic.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
... and here's a post on HiFlowFiltro

·
Registered
83 Posts
this was mine this spring. They were under the gas tank too. The intakes are now screened. Years back they packed the air box on my Valk and chewed up the vacuum lines. That was fun to deal with.

·
Registered
7,929 Posts
This thread reminds me of when I was Automotive Supervisor for a County Agency and we would put wrecked vehicles in a fenced in field to salvage parts when needed. The first time I went to pull some parts off a Ford Tempo and when I opened the hood 3 rabbits jumped out and startled the he11 out of me. They ate the spark plugs wires right down to the boot. They loved to eat those plug wires. :D It reminded me of a magician pulling rabbits out of a hat.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I've seen a couple of photos of this but thought I'd share mine. Recently acquired '08. Had the top shelf off working on a heated grip problem and was reminded to take a look at the air filter. Glad I did!
View attachment 375356

That led to this...

View attachment 375357 View attachment 375358
I would use the screen off of your old air filter. It has been proven that if a rodent can get it's head through an opening, it will get it's whole body in.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
We've got a house cat by day and a fierce mouse 🐁 killer at night. Sleeps all day and howls to go out at night. Every night he deposits a mouse or 2 at the patio door. Wants to let us know that he's doing his share to keep the mouse View attachment 375394 population down and for the last 2 1/2 yrs the garage is mouse free also.
He sleeps in that baby stroller that was given to my wife to use when she takes her small dog with bad legs for a walk. They start out walking and when the dog gets tired in the stroller she goes. I know rough life. :D
I know about that howling to get out. My male cat howls to get out every night. I don't know what it is about the night and that cat, but he sure likes to roam around after dark. Then he scratches at the windowscreen at my office in the morning to come back in and eat. LOL.

·
Registered
75 Posts
For many years I owned a Honda TransAlp. My son-in-law now owns it. One day I was in my building and noticed movement on the frame of the bike. A small snake, pencil size and maybe 10 inches long was crawling up my bike! I freaked out. I turned to find something to Whap him with. Stick in hand, I found he had disappeared. Removed side cover and seat. No snake. Opened up airbox and there he was, eating one of the several baby mice who were living in the air filter. Yeek! Got rid of all of them and put hardware cloth on the intake. I have often thought about riding down the road and having a snake suddenly appear on the gas tank.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts