GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen some posts on safety talk about moving over for emergency vehicles/police etc on the road.

I live in Illinois, and our law seems to track with most surrounding states anyway. It reads:

"When approaching a stationary emergency vehicle using visual signals, yield, change to a lane away from the emergency vehicle, and proceed with caution. IF A LANE CHANGE IS NOT POSSIBLE, REDUCE SPEED AND PROCEED WITH CAUTION." (all caps last sentence my addition for emphasis).

There have been many times on two lane roads, or multi lane roads when moving over was not an option or would have been dangerous. In that case, you can stay in the lane, slow down (how much? it doesn't say) and proceed with caution.

What gets me is people on multi-lane highways, that move over dangerously and SLOW DOWN A LOT, causing a very dangerous situation. The law allows you to pass in another lane at legal speeds. No need to slow down if there isn't any other reason.

My wife and a friend were towing a horse trailer on a two-lane road when they came upon a police car with lights on issuing a ticket. In this case, there was traffic in the other lane and they slowed from the indicated 50 mph to about 40, moved as far left as possible (not much with a two horse trailer) and proceeded. They were chased down by the cop who did not ticket them, but gave them a good talking too. In this case, the wind blast from the trailer surprised the cop who did not pay attention and did not notice the trailer slowing down. He also apparently did not know the law which allows vehicles to stay in the close lane if they slow down.

this law is VERY poorly written, and as such, nobody, including police knows how much to slow down, or how fast could trigger a ticket!

When with motorcycle groups on tw0 lane roads, we signal single file and stay in the left track, and slow down as much as possible without endangering the tail gunner with being run over. This should follow the letter and intent of the law in all cases, but maybe not with some officers.

So just be aware, that at least in Illinois, and many other states, you CAN stay in your lane if moving over is not safe.

Check with your own states rules of the road, but I suspect many will find the same poorly written law.

(edit) also in Illinois, the Funeral procession law confirms that stopping for a procession is NOT necessary or recommended, in fact there is no mention stopping, just yielding to processions in intersections, and not passing unless a separate passing lane is available. It may pay to print out the specific law in your state and carry it with you.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Most all laws are written vague.
That way the courts can use them anyway they see fit.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Guilty until proven innocent...

·
Registered
352 Posts
Was riding in Arkansas about three years ago. Unbelievable how people were moving over for troopers with stopped cars and creating unsafe lane changes. People were doing hard braking for them.
Why don't they say how slow we have to slow down? Sure isn't safe to move over sometimes.

RiderUSA

·
Registered
396 Posts
Why don't they say how slow we have to slow down? Sure isn't safe to move over sometimes.

RiderUSA
They do say in Texas.

What gets me is the people that just move over regardless of what in the lane left of them.

Very few that I see here slow down in the lane adjacent to the emergency vehicle. When I do it, it seems to piss people off.

Enforcement is lax.

..louie

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
40 when passing anyone standing close by is not slowing down!
While you are correct-how much slower is not stated- 15 to 20 would be more like it.
Having said that. The person standing there(usually a LEO) certainly has a responsibility to observe his/her surroundings. Most these days, if possible, approach the stopped vehicle from the passenger side. Or should use enough common sense not to stop a vehicle in an area unsafe for all involved!

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I seem to recall that Tennessee says 35 mph. This will still not help the LEOs killed by drunk, dozing, distracted and target-fixated that plow right into the flashing lights!
Yep they do it. Sunday morning 4.a.m. Going to meet a friend and go fishing I hopped on the bike and down at the end of the drive I see a car coming going all over the road.

Now I am sticking out a bit, so I put the bike in reverse right quick and backed up past the retaining wall and watched him. Here he comes right at me, even pulls up by the mailbox and stops, figures out that is not his driveway and goes on, to the next one , I watched him go up to that house and figure out , nope this is not my house either. Lol!

In the rear view mirror after I left him I see him going up the drive to the church, this guy is so drunk he does not have a clue where he is. But for sure he drove right at my headlights, but could not get me as there was a wall and mailboxes there first. I could have gunned it and left him but I was curious what he was up to.

Might have been the preacher for all I know, could have been out comforting a poor widow...........:lol:

Never needed any laws, always just figured it was common courtesy to avoid an emergency vehicle, switch lanes and slow down too. If a two lane slow way down. Not just for their protection but your own, anything can happen, even a dog can run out from under the car , anything can or could happen.

Only makes sense to slow down and or avoid, not just for their protection but your own.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
ok here is one i have a problem and its truckers

i will follow a truck,he come up on a cop with his lites on on the shoulder ,the trucker moves left one lane and goes on,he later comes up on a broke down truck with his flashers on on the shoulder and again he moves left
then a bit later he comes up on a car with their flashers on and on the shoulder and guess what?he does not slow down or move over"wtf"

i guess in his mind its ok to kill a car driver?

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Here's the Texas version, which seems appropriate:
The law states a driver must either vacate the lane closest to the stopped emergency vehicle if the road has multiple lanes traveling in the same direction or slow down 20 miles per hour below the speed limit. (If the speed limit is below 25 mph the driver must slow down to 5 mph.)

Look up your state or state traveling to or through:
http://www.moveoveramerica.com/

·
Registered
240 Posts
New Mexico law requires you to move left "as far as possible when possible", when an officer has traffic stopped on the right shoulder.

If there is traffic and you cannot move to the left, there is NO violaiton, however, if the left is clear and you do not move over, they will get you.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Most of our troopers here will approch the car on the right side as to avoid traffic and to see driver better.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Move over

If I am not mistaking, it says to slow down 20 miles below the posted speed here in Florida also.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Emergency Vehicles

Tow trucks are emergency vehicles too. Its simple move over! If you can't slow down. If you are unsure how much to slow down just slow to a speed you'd be comfortable with if it was you standing on the side of the road.

·
Registered
307 Posts
ok here is one i have a problem and its truckers

i will follow a truck,he come up on a cop with his lites on on the shoulder ,the trucker moves left one lane and goes on,he later comes up on a broke down truck with his flashers on on the shoulder and again he moves left
then a bit later he comes up on a car with their flashers on and on the shoulder and guess what?he does not slow down or move over"wtf"

i guess in his mind its ok to kill a car driver?

Now that I have seen quite a few times . You might find this weird but I move over anytime there is a vehicle on the side that I cant figure is
abandoned. I never know if someone will step out into the lane, or the vehicle will suddenly accelerate and pull in fron of me. And that is on the Wing!

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Ladies and Gents,
As an x fire truck driver, it's safe to say "I've seen it all". People will be people. That is, you can't fix "stupid" as I've seen on many bumper stickers. In driving code III, that is full on lights and sirens, air horns and anything else that we could make noise and be seen with, you'd be amazed at how people react in that situation. Now, if I recall, I know there's a question on every variation of the drivers licence test that California has to offer about what to do when emergency vehicles approach, either from behind or coming at you.

Well, it's simple in the rules. Pull to the right as soon as possible and when safe. Now it doesn't take a college professor to interpret what that statement means. But we had news reporters on board for a "RIDE ALONG" when many of our runs came in. They filmed some of the dumbest moves that people did when we were coming at them from behind with full on noise and vision attracting mechanisms were in place and being utilized.

People pulled to the LEFT, SPED UP, STOPPED DEAD-DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF ME, continued on without any regard to the lights and siren-at their rate of speed, and once in a while, they did what they were supposed to do, pull to the right in a safe manner.

And recently, in the last couple of years, California enacted a law that many of you already had in place for several years. That law states you must move to the left, when safe and or, slow to an appropriate speed when, passing an emergency vehicle, fire trucks etc while they are on the side of the road/freeway etc. Now, although I've not seen any videos of how people comply with that law, based on how they reacted to my driving of fire truck in code three situations, I'd be my life that over 50% of the people passing emergency vehicles on the side of the road, pay no attention to the new law and or the people on the side of the road.

I've been in many situations on the freeways in our area working traffic accidents, car fires, medical assistance needed incidents etc and, it's amazing that people are going 75 mph, not more than 2-3 feet from you with people on gurneys and helping others. Heaven forbid they slow their pace down around situations like that, it might put a damper on getting to the office party. Anyway, enough rambling.
Scott

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
A recent story in Tucson said 40% of drivers fail the written exam. Too bad they still get licenses.

Humans are some of the dumbest people on Earth. One of many examples: while working a fatal traffic accident I had the street blocked off curb to curb with cones, flares and my police car. Someone drives up to me and asks, "Can I get through here?" Do I prove my case? I often ask, "Why did God bother to make us?"

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
One of many examples: while working a fatal traffic accident I had the street blocked off curb to curb with cones, flares and my police car. Someone drives up to me and asks, "Can I get through here?" Do I prove my case? I often ask, "Why did God bother to make us?"
Don't ya just love it?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Ladies and Gents,
As an x fire truck driver, it's safe to say "I've seen it all". People will be people. That is, you can't fix "stupid" as I've seen on many bumper stickers. In driving code III, that is full on lights and sirens, air horns and anything else that we could make noise and be seen with, you'd be amazed at how people react in that situation. Now, if I recall, I know there's a question on every variation of the drivers licence test that California has to offer about what to do when emergency vehicles approach, either from behind or coming at you.

Well, it's simple in the rules. Pull to the right as soon as possible and when safe. Now it doesn't take a college professor to interpret what that statement means. But we had news reporters on board for a "RIDE ALONG" when many of our runs came in. They filmed some of the dumbest moves that people did when we were coming at them from behind with full on noise and vision attracting mechanisms were in place and being utilized.

People pulled to the LEFT, SPED UP, STOPPED DEAD-DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF ME, continued on without any regard to the lights and siren-at their rate of speed, and once in a while, they did what they were supposed to do, pull to the right in a safe manner.

And recently, in the last couple of years, California enacted a law that many of you already had in place for several years. That law states you must move to the left, when safe and or, slow to an appropriate speed when, passing an emergency vehicle, fire trucks etc while they are on the side of the road/freeway etc. Now, although I've not seen any videos of how people comply with that law, based on how they reacted to my driving of fire truck in code three situations, I'd be my life that over 50% of the people passing emergency vehicles on the side of the road, pay no attention to the new law and or the people on the side of the road.

I've been in many situations on the freeways in our area working traffic accidents, car fires, medical assistance needed incidents etc and, it's amazing that people are going 75 mph, not more than 2-3 feet from you with people on gurneys and helping others. Heaven forbid they slow their pace down around situations like that, it might put a damper on getting to the office party. Anyway, enough rambling.
Scott

:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
If you ever want to look for streaks in your jeans, stop at a 45 degree angle with the front out to protect the ambulance crew on the freeway. No this is with 40 foot of fire truck with 28 red white and blue lights three sirens two airhorns. Some idiot will blast by within 6 inches of the front bumper at at least 70 mph and never give up on the tunnel vision. Oh yea the driver has to get out the driver side door because there is a 450 hp motor between him and the passenger. Yep that what that volunteer firefighter gets all the big bucks for. 80% of the guys or gals driving that big red box have at least one other full time job..... Don retired as director of safety after 20 years... Now I ride my wing and try to stay way away from the freeways and 4 lanes when ever I can...:22yikes:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts