·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[No message]

·
Registered
313 Posts
Nice video! I'm still not a big fan of a car tire on a motorcycle but, this video shows that there is a good amount of tread contact with the road in turns.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
But we do not ride in the parking lot, none of the forces that are present at 60 mph on hwy. Your bike your choice.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My only comment is that I really thought that more of the tire would be in contact with the ground on turns. This dispells that myth completely.

O.K., I just can't help myself.
Look very closely at my avitar. My rear tire has double the contact area as the car tire did up on its side. Also, the rubber on my race bike is Danged Sticky! You could put your fingernails in the tread and they would make an imprint. Car tires don't even come close it terms of traction no matter what some opinion tells you.

You know what would be a great test?
Get two wings one with car tire and one with moto tire. Lean them both till hard parts are just barely NOT touching the road surface. Tie a cable to the bottom part of the wheel (around a spoke) on both bikes. Then measure with a pull scale, how much force is needed to drag the rear across the pavement sideways. That would be a good start. But it sure would tell the whole story.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
I am just not sure that a car tire is designed to be ridden on the shoulders of the tire like that. I would not feel safe doing it.

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
I don't understand what the compelling reason is for folks to continually try to convince everyone else it is safe to run a car tire on a motorcycle.

If someone wants to run a car tire on their motorcycle, fine, but they have no business trying to convince others to do it. It is one thing to risk your own safety, it is quite another to encourage others to risk their lives too.

Stop for a minute and think how you would feel if someone read one of these threads and was convinced to try a car tire because of them, and then ended up in an accident because of it.

And don't think it can't happen, cause a few years back a bunch of Iron Butt riders on the COG list started encouraging others to run an H rated bias ply GoldWing tire on the Concours (which is designed for a Z rated radial) because of the long mileage they got. Recently one of the folks who took that advice died when his rear wheel slid out from under him in a corner in a low side incident. I can tell you first hand, it is not a fun thing to watch a rider die as a result of trying to save a few bucks on tires.

So feel free to use whatever tires you want, but take care about encouraging other folks to follow in your footsteps.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Kinda makes you wonder why a manufacturer would spend all that money to develop and produce specific tires when all they had to do was just take 'em off the car line. Oh wait, I know. They just want to charge more money. It's all a conspiracy to bilk motorcycle owners out of lot's of money!!! :banghead:

KA7W said:
Interesting to note, That particular thread has been looked at over 33,000 times, wonder if its a record for this board ???

JMHO 8)
It's just like people stopping to look at a wreck...they just want to see who's gonna get killed.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Not for me! The tread pattern of a car is simply not designed for such use.

Just for grins, it would be interesting to see the exact same video with a real motorcycle tire on it!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Fred H. said:
I don't understand what the compelling reason is for folks to continually try to convince everyone else it is safe to run a car tire on a motorcycle.
I think it is the same compelling reason that others without any personal experience or knowledge of the matter try to tell us that running car tires is unsafe.
I know that the tire I am running has higher load and speed ratings and from my nearly 2000 miles experience on the tire so far it appears I have better traction under all conditions. Even in the mud I found off the side of the road when I pulled over to get the info sheet from a real estate sign.

FYI: I have never wrecked a motorcycle on a car tire. I can't count the number of crashes I have had while riding on the manufacturers suggested tires. An old Paul Simon tune comes to mind when I think of all my old motorcycle tires in the rain, Slip slidin' away
Slip slidin' away
You know the nearer your destination
The more you're slip slidin' away

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
MotorcycleBoy said:
Fred H. said:
I think it is the same compelling reason that others without any personal experience or knowledge of the matter try to tell us that running car tires is unsafe.
I know that the tire I am running has higher load and speed ratings and from my nearly 2000 miles experience on the tire so far it appears I have better traction under all conditions. Even in the mud I found off the side of the road when I pulled over to get the info sheet from a real estate sign.

FYI: I have never wrecked a motorcycle on a car tire. I can't count the number of crashes I have had while riding on the manufacturers suggested tires. An old Paul Simon tune comes to mind when I think of all my old motorcycle tires in the rain, Slip slidin' away
Slip slidin' away
There are plenty of people who have smoked two packs of cigarettes a day who are still alive - for now!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
jjsC6 said:
MotorcycleBoy said:
Fred H. said:

Slip slidin' away
There are plenty of people who have smoked two packs of cigarettes a day who are still alive - for now!
Based on your logic, all of us are going to die from skin cancer. It is just a question of when.

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
MotorcycleBoy said:
Based on your logic, all of us are going to die from skin cancer. It is just a question of when.
Based on yours, I have to to actually poke myself in the eye with a stick before I can state that it probably isn't a good idea to poke myself in the eye with a stick.

Some things are just common sense. I don't have to go jump off a cliff to find out if it will actually kill me or not.

The following statements are fact.

1. Motorcycle tires have rounder profiles. Car tires are flat across the tread.

2. Cars have 4 tires, motorcycles have two.

3. Performance motorcycle tires use much stickier rubber compounds than mainsteam car tires.

4. Motorcycles have two small contact patches of rubber that connect them to the road. Cars have four.

5. Cars do not lean like motorcycle do in corners.

6. Your Honda GL1800 came from the factory with radial motorcycle tires mounted on it.

It does not take a rocket scientist to look at the facts and draw some common sense conclusions from them about using a car tire on a motorcycle. Sure, they both are round and both will roll down the road, and you might actually get away with running one on the bike. But in an emergency situation where you need every ounce of traction you can get, there is simply no way that a car tire will provide the same level of traction and stick to the pavement that the proper motorcycle tire will. The rubber compounds in the motorcycle tire are softer and will provide more adhesion to the road, which is why they wear out faster. Not to mention that they are not flat across the tread, so if you are leaned over you will have a larger contact patch on the road in the first place.

This is why folks get hurt doing this stuff. It works fine 90% of the time, until they get in an emergency situation where they need max braking, or avoidance capability, or go into a corner a little too hot and need to scrub off some speed in the turn or lean the bike over further than they normally do. This is where that car tire is going to let you down in a real bad way.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
MotorcycleBoy said:
jjsC6 said:
MotorcycleBoy said:
Fred H. said:

Slip slidin' away
You might want to study the statistics!

I guess maybe I should have just commented on what a fine rider you must be that you "can't count the number of crashes I have had while riding on the manufacturers suggested tires." I cannot imagine having had so many crashes on a motorcycle that I can no longer remember them all :lol:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Fred H. said:
MotorcycleBoy said:
Based on yours, I have to to actually poke myself in the eye with a stick before I can state that it probably isn't a good idea to poke myself in the eye with a stick.

Some things are just common sense. I don't have to go jump off a cliff to find out if it will actually kill me or not.

The following statements are fact.

1. Motorcycle tires have rounder profiles. Car tires are flat across the tread.

2. Cars have 4 tires, motorcycles have two.

3. Performance motorcycle tires use much stickier rubber compounds than mainsteam car tires.

4. Motorcycles have two small contact patches of rubber that connect them to the road. Cars have four.

5. Cars do not lean like motorcycle do in corners.

6. Your Honda GL1800 came from the factory with radial motorcycle tires mounted on it.

It does not take a rocket scientist to look at the facts and draw some common sense conclusions from them about using a car tire on a motorcycle. Sure, they both are round and both will roll down the road, and you might actually get away with running one on the bike. But in an emergency situation where you need every ounce of traction you can get, there is simply no way that a car tire will provide the same level of traction and stick to the pavement that the proper motorcycle tire will. The rubber compounds in the motorcycle tire are softer and will provide more adhesion to the road, which is why they wear out faster. Not to mention that they are not flat across the tread, so if you are leaned over you will have a larger contact patch on the road in the first place.

This is why folks get hurt doing this stuff. It works fine 90% of the time, until they get in an emergency situation where they need max braking, or avoidance capability, or go into a corner a little too hot and need to scrub off some speed in the turn or lean the bike over further than they normally do. This is where that car tire is going to let you down in a real bad way.
Nobody is trying to make you use a car tire. If you don't like the idea then why do you feel so compelled to force your opinion on others? Do you have any experience on a car tire? I didn't think so. This makes your last claim about scrubbing off speed in a corner an unproven assumption based on fear. Fear of the unknown. Where would we be today if the Wright brothers had listened to all the skeptics who said they couldn't fly? Can you name one person that can claim, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that they crashed there bike because of the car tire they were running. So far no one has made that claim. All we have heard is a bunch of irrational doomsday claims without any hard evidence. We hear of motorcycle wrecks everyday and they are all, assumingly, using the correct motorcycle tire.

I agree with your facts, they are indisputable. However I can ad a few points. Fact 1 - Duh. Fact 2 - Duh. Fact 3 is irrelavent. The GL1800 is not a performance bike it is a sport tourer. Fact 4 - My GL1800 still has two contact patch areas. The rear contact area is now much larger and provides more traction than the stock tire. Fact 5 - Duh, again. Fact 6 - The GL1800 appears to have come from the factory with an inferior rear tire mounted on it, based on what I have read on this board about the high number of tire failures.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
jjsC6 said:
I guess maybe I should have just commented on what a fine rider you must be that you "can't count the number of crashes I have had while riding on the manufacturers suggested tires." I cannot imagine having had so many crashes on a motorcycle that I can no longer remember them all :lol:
When you ride dirt, mud, loose sand, snow, and ice, for several years you will crash numerous times. Try watching some motocross or cross country races and you will see. The brand of tire does not come in to play. I can count the number of crashes I have had on the street in the last 30 years on 1 hand. The number is 4 and they all happened in my inexperienced teens and early twenties.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Here's another data point for you all.

I use ultra high performance tires on my car, which comes from the factory with 320 hp stock. I normally get 18-32k miles out of them, depending upon how badly I abuse them. Normal driving for 95% of the time gets me the 32k.

Anyway, on a set of tires that had 5k miles on them, I went to an autocross school for a weekend. At the end of the weekend, all 4 tires had to be replaced due to wear --on their edges---. That was slightly more than 100 miles for the whole weekend. This was all in an old airport so we had plenty of room. The center tread was hardly reduced but the edges were down to the nubs with some steel showing in a few places. Too, the car weighs 4,000 lbs so load is about double what it would be for the Wing. However, the Wing can get much larger lean angles than the car can. :)

So beware of overdriving the car tires on a bike. You'll have no traction in a curve or a blowout, and probably much shorter tire life if you ride in a fun manner.

It would worry me lots to put a car tire on my bike.

David M.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
[No message]

1 - 20 of 71 Posts