GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi GL1800Riders, long-time lurker, first-time poster... :)

I've been enjoying my ST1300 for a long time now, but have been toying with the idea of making the move to a Wing, primarily for the comfort of my wife and kids who tend to join me a lot on ST1300 road trips. I think the things I'd be "giving up" with the ST1300 are things that aren't that big of a deal to me; it's a faster, lighter bike, but I still have youth on my side to be able to handle a heavier bike, and simply don't need the speed aspect of the ST1300.

I'd love to hear thoughts from anyone who has made the move from ST1300 to a Wing. :)

What I'm also wondering, are there folks here that would be looking to trade their Wing for my ST1300? I'm located in San Jose, CA, the bike is in excellent condition, and has just 22,000 miles on it.
  • Dealer-maintained with receipts
  • Electrically adjustable windshield
  • Heated grips
  • Heated Corbin seat ( $700 value )
  • Genuine Hondaline Pan European top box ( rare )
  • LED lights all around ( including switchback mod on front turn signals )
  • Fork mounted LED driving lights
  • Brake light flasher
  • Rear-facing signal indicators in mirrors
  • New lithium ION battery
  • Dual USB powerlet up front
  • RAM phone mount
  • Linked brakes
  • Genuine Honda ST1300 toolkit
  • Haynes workshop manual
  • New brake pads 300 miles ago
  • Clean title in my name
I've attached pictures for anyone who might be interested. :) Also, please let me know if there's a better place to put this, I was hesitant to put this in the "For Sale" forum.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
You should post it on the for sale board also. You'll get more exposure. Not everybody reads all the boards all the time. Good Luck and welcome on board.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should post it on the for sale board also. You'll get more exposure. Not everybody reads all the boards all the time. Good Luck and welcome on board.
Many thanks! I've gone ahead and posted it on the for sale board also, really appreciate the help!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just bought my first 2019 Goldwing Tour after having two ST1300's. There were awesome bikes but my new Wing is starting to grow on me. I love the radio, horn, suspension, big seat, trunk and sound of the 1833CC. The ST1300 was faster and more nimble but the new Goldwing can do pretty well in the twistys here in North GA. I'm gonna be 55 this fall so felt it was time to join the Goldwing club. :)

If you have not already sold your ST1300 try listing on ST Owners site. I sold my 2007 on Craigslist in 4 days. It had 22k miles on it. Gonna miss it but on to a bigger and better motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
In 2015 I purchased my Goldwing. I kept my 2007 ST1300. The reason I purchased the Goldwing was to allow my wife more comfort when we took long trips. The Wing is, in my opinion, a much better two up bike (but that might depend on the size and shape of the riders). The ST, I still have, I ride solo. The bikes are different. The ST seems, to me more nimble than the wing but the wing is just as quick.

The wing does have some additional audio options (even in the base model) which my ST did not have but the addition of a Garmin 665 and and J&B CB to the ST (using an Autocom device) makes the audio differences sort of irrelevant.

I also added the Traxxion upgrade to the wing. It is needed to improve the handling and made a major difference. Still, as you might guess, the ST feels more agile than the wing.

A couple of months ago, I took the ST on a 50 mile ride solo. The ride was on rural roads and, as such, were not in the best of conditions. I did not notice any issues on the ST. The next day I took the wing with my wife on the exact same route. There was a difference. The ST seemed more at home on those roads and there was little, if any issues. While the wing seemed to notice the road imperfections more (maybe the Traxxion upgrade makes it a little more sensitive).

So, in summary, one up, I'd always take the ST. Two up, I'd opt for the wing for my passengers benefit.

Oh, on more funny thing, a small point but still, the ST has an ambient temperature indication on the dash visible at all times. On the wing I have to punch some buttons to get the ambient temp. Just a thing. Not a big deal.

Oh, one more thing, I added a Hannigan trailer to my wing with a Bushtech hitch. I would not have done that to the ST. It makes long trips much more fun for the two of us since we can carry a little more stuff.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Not a far comparison as you're talking a sport-touring bike to a touring bike. From an ST1300 to an FJR1300 is straight across.

But after getting rid of my FJR300, I can say I really appreciate the Wing as it's designed for plenty of room and comfort for touring. More upright seating position and better foot positions for the rider and passenger. More accessories, factory heated seats and grips and most importantly cruise control.

But heck yeah!

·
Premium Member
1,801 Posts
Welcome from SE Idaho!!! Ride safe and keep the shiny side up. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts