GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 108 years of building the same push-rod engine HD has finally decided it's time to step it up a couple decades into the 1980's.
Coming soon will be a new generation of almost liquid cooled engines. HD management is Leary of offering real liquid cooling as it would require a design change, something that would require help from Porsche.
There current option is to simple cool just the head and leave the century old cylinders overheat as usual.

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2011/06/20/harley-davidson-water-cooled-heads-patent/

Previously all major engine development changes have been done by outside engineering companies like Ducati and Porsche.

In 1981 HD tried to build a V-4 (with Porsche) which never got of the ground but they did spend 40 million

And who says Harley can't develop sophisticated technology - at the same time teamed up with another outside firm they came up with a reverse trike called the Penster. Of course it failed and was scraped but it was failed technology ten years ahead of Can Am success.

And then there is the Vrod which again designed by Porsche did make it although sales are lack luster due to it's "too rice burner" current day design. They did spend 80 million on design 8 million on trying to get it to sound right.

So how well will the new "Hydro Glide" do? Well it all hinges on sound engineering - no not good engineering, sound engineering, will they be as loud or louder. Who cares if it actually works. :doorag:

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Another Harley bashing news thread on the GOLDWING forum. How special.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Harly has been pretty successful building that motor for years because thats what their customers want.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Am unaware that a air cooled V twin will "overheat as usual"....seemingly to infer this is part of normal operation, that the engine will malfunction and "overheat"

Many of my friends have HD touring machines, yes they get hot, but do not "overheat"

A quick read of the posted link shows that it seems every poster thinks themselves a better designer/engineer/etc than those at HD...what drivel

Bottom line is that HD does deliver what their customers want....they are a very customer centric company...building an image, embracing their customers....and the benefit is that over the years HD has made a LOT of money.

One can bash HD, but HD customers are generally a happy lot and HD company is laughing all the way to the bank

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
After 108 years of building the same push-rod engine HD has finally decided it's time to step it up a couple decades into the 1980's.
Coming soon will be a new generation of almost liquid cooled engines. HD management is Leary of offering real liquid cooling as it would require a design change, something that would require help from Porsche.
There current option is to simple cool just the head and leave the century old cylinders overheat as usual.

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2011/06/20/harley-davidson-water-cooled-heads-patent/

Previously all major engine development changes have been done by outside engineering companies like Ducati and Porsche.

In 1981 HD tried to build a V-4 (with Porsche) which never got of the ground but they did spend 40 million

And who says Harley can't develop sophisticated technology - at the same time teamed up with another outside firm they came up with a reverse trike called the Penster. Of course it failed and was scraped but it was failed technology ten years ahead of Can Am success.

And then there is the Vrod which again designed by Porsche did make it although sales are lack luster due to it's "too rice burner" current day design. They did spend 80 million on design 8 million on trying to get it to sound right.

So how well will the new "Hydro Glide" do? Well it all hinges on sound engineering - no not good engineering, sound engineering, will they be as loud or louder. Who cares if it actually works. :doorag:

Good information. Thanks for posting.

2W

·
Registered
128 Posts
Am unaware that a air cooled V twin will "overheat as usual"....seemingly to infer this is part of normal operation, that the engine will malfunction and "overheat"

Many of my friends have HD touring machines, yes they get hot, but do not "overheat"

A quick read of the posted link shows that it seems every poster thinks themselves a better designer/engineer/etc than those at HD...what drivel

Bottom line is that HD does deliver what their customers want....they are a very customer centric company...building an image, embracing their customers....and the benefit is that over the years HD has made a LOT of money.

One can bash HD, but HD customers are generally a happy lot and HD company is laughing all the way to the bank
Yup! He's right. I do NOT like 'em, but HD does build what their customers want! I've got a good friend who rides a V-Rod and tells me that he's shunned more by the HD faithful on it than when he rides his BMW GS...Go figure?

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I buy my Harleys BECAUSE they are air-cooled, pushrod motors.... and I like the styling and the chrome and some other stuff.

I like it.

:shrug:

I also like my (2nd) GoldWing and my (3rd) VTX and that Moto guzzi Breva, and...and...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Interesting article., but I'm puzzled by your interest and knowledge of HD. Judging from your posts where HD is the subject it's obvious you despise the company and its customers. Comment?

Sent from my Droid

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No not really the important thing to note is that HD does not design or engineer much of what they sell or attempt to sell. They build a air cooled Vtwin and that's it. Porsche does all there specialty design work.
The article comes out of common information available via internet search and by common magazine articles.
None of it is made up - just search and you will see.

And yes HD does give the consumer what they want - Fashion and noise. As stated it doesn't matter if it actually works the consumer will purchase it as long as it keeps the same 108 year old tractor design intact and makes lots of noise. I think this speaks for the buyers mentality or lack of.

BTW porsche designed the current model of water cooled heads for the proposed Hydro Glide.

·
Registered
345 Posts
No not really the important thing to note is that HD does not design or engineer much of what they sell or attempt to sell. They build a air cooled Vtwin and that's it. Porsche does all there specialty design work.
The article comes out of common information available via internet search and by common magazine articles.
None of it is made up - just search and you will see.

And yes HD does give the consumer what they want - Fashion and noise. As stated it doesn't matter if it actually works the consumer will purchase it as long as it keeps the same 108 year old tractor design intact and makes lots of noise. I think this speaks for the buyers mentality or lack of.

BTW porsche designed the current model of water cooled heads for the proposed Hydro Glide.

:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

The mind set of those that have HD is something else....I would say a MAJOR case of ( L M S ).

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I could care less who does there design, or engineering. I like em. So if that speaks ill of me so be it. I also like Honda Vtwins as well as Yamaha, Victory and many others. I do not tend to research who does any of their engineering either. It simply doesnt matter to me.

Hey its my money, I'll spend it how I see fit. I would hope everyone does the same.

·
Registered
297 Posts
hey Storm..

Hey Storm, as I walk around here at work, (Ford Motor Co. test labs) I see Ford spending a dumpster load of cash on Harley Davidson branded product. Would it surprise you if I told you that H/D also have their engineer's here inputting what is important to Harley Davidson? It isnt just their logo going on our truck, the performance and sound are ok'd by Harley before we sell a one of them. Did you know that Ford has sold over 70,000 Harley Davidson Pick-ups since 99'? Did you also know that Harleys Engineer's and designers were also working in partnership with Porsche on the VRod motor? Porsche doesn't get all the credit for the design of the VRod powerplant. Nothing was built without Harley's Engineering team signing off on it.. Oh and did I tell you about the time a few years back when I watched Harley Davidson doing high speed testing (over 100 mph) at Fords Arizona proving ground in 110 degree heat? They rode the bikes, at speed for weeks, only stopping for fuel and rider changes. Does a Harley get hot? Yes they do. Overheat? Iffy. Do their riders care? Do you care that your Goldwing has the worst friggin dealer network on the planet? Harley Davidson is second in sales only to Honda and if Honda doesn't improve their customer service skills, Harley just might take over..

·
Registered
419 Posts
Harley Davidson is second in sales only to Honda and if Honda doesn't improve their customer service skills, Harley just might take over..
If you look at road bike sales in the US & Canada (what we're all interested in on this forum) I'd be surprised if Harley weren't already #1 by a wide margin. As for worldwide sales I'm sure Honda sells more bikes, but almost all of them little, small displacement units such as seen in Asia.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Wasnt it back in the 80's that Harley was not in the financial shape that it is now. I know of a few dealerships in Alabama that were on the very brink of filing bankruptcy. The economy improved with the internet coming to mainstream. A lot of baby boomers made their wealth during this age and began buying the motorcycle of the 50's/60's, the Harley, as a status symbol and a emblem of freedom and independence. If they had not had a Harley in the teens, they could dang sure have one now! Harley took off, the dealerships that could not pay their bills before, were now adding on showroom and work bays. You had to take a number to get a Harley and they were selling them well over list price. The turnaround was amazing.

I wonder what the future holds for Harley. Will the next generation have the same zeal as the wealthy baby boomers? Will they want the outdated look of the classic? I doubt it, but you just never really know.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Jeez Storm. Who pissed in your Wheaties this morning? I'm no fan of Harleys. But why are you trying to stir up a hornet's next? Just let it die folks. Go for a ride or something.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wasnt it back in the 80's that Harley was not in the financial shape that it is now. I know of a few dealerships in Alabama that were on the very brink of filing bankruptcy. The economy improved with the internet coming to mainstream. A lot of baby boomers made their wealth during this age and began buying the motorcycle of the 50's/60's, the Harley, as a status symbol and a emblem of freedom and independence. If they had not had a Harley in the teens, they could dang sure have one now! Harley took off, the dealerships that could not pay their bills before, were now adding on showroom and work bays. You had to take a number to get a Harley and they were selling them well over list price. The turnaround was amazing.

I wonder what the future holds for Harley. Will the next generation have the same zeal as the wealthy baby boomers? Will they want the outdated look of the classic? I doubt it, but you just never really know.
In 1974 HD stock was at 5 cents a share and they were bankrupt. AMF bought HD and saved them from ruin.
Some time in the 80's Willie and the boys scraped up the cash to buy it back and Willies grand daughter introduced the fashion idea which to this day has been the big financial genius behind the HD name.
The bikes took on a "major" upgrade with the evolution engine - replaced the cast jugs with aluminum.
The current proposed water cooled cylinder head will be the next "major" leap forward (thanks to Porsche and their design crews)

Isn't it silly a big money filled company like HD and they can't even design a cylinder head. But they can design doo rags all day long :doorag:

If you read the book "Rise and fall of the British Motorcycle Industry" BSA was just like HD is today. Arrogantly pushing brand name rather than improving their product. Then came the Japanese and down went BSA, Norton, Triumph, Royal Enfield, Vincent, Ariel and all others who were tied to BSA.

I predict if law enforcement ever does it's job and starts to enforce noise restrictions riders will bail as the thrill and machoness will be gone. What they will have left is a 108 year old tractor design and $12,000 of clothing.
In the meantime they will have outside contractors to continue to prop up the dying horse.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts

Those projects didn't fail, management didn't have the balls to bring them to market.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts