GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Lots of misinformed people think Harley farms out engine design work to Porsche, In reality, its a joint effort involving engineers from HD and Porsche, which is different than paying someone to design an engine for you.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Seems to me that NASCAR produces some pretty state of the art motors with pushrods and the Motus sport tourer has a brand new state of the art engine using pushrods. Any technology can be called old, they had overhead camshafts in the 1920s.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Isn't that the same thing? :shrug:
It could be, but you can look at it two ways.

The designs may have been great, but management didn't have the guts to put them on the market. In that case the designs may have not been a failure, but the project certainly was.

On the other hand, the designs may have been poor and management decided to pull the plug and cut their losses. In that case both the product and project would have been failures.

In this case we know that management didn't bring either to market because their research told them what we know today. Harley buyers want to buy an air cooled v-twin so they killed the project. You have to wonder why they even commissioned either.

Its interesting to ponder what might have happened if they'd released either. Would they have had the extreme growth of the 90's or would it have been even better?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Harley in its hey day not long ago sound as many units as Honda in USA.
Now factor in that Harley doesnt offer a sport tourer or dirt bike. And consider all of the models that copy harleys american cruiser look.

I for one think the motor company has done a great job. Its time for them to take the tech jump needed to attrached the upcoming younger market.

Motorcycle for me is being able at will to knock a bunch of miles in a well mannered dependable machine. The wing is my choice.

I will respect others choices as well.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Damn! I hated reading that.!!!

Good grief!!! God awful!!!!

That grotesque aberration just may be the proverbial straw which broke . . .

Those old Harleys dudes can't take much more of such "designs" made for the purpose of pleasing the feds.

·
Love The DCT
12,598 Posts
Jeez Storm. Who pissed in your Wheaties this morning? I'm no fan of Harleys. But why are you trying to stir up a hornet's next? Just let it die folks. Go for a ride or something.
Deep down I think Storm makes these posts to stir the pot and he's sad E-H went "belly up" and the Super X really never became the bike it could have been. :doorag:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I don't make this stuff up - it's all out there all you have to do is look.
And just think if it wasn't for this there would be 50 oil postings :roll:

·
Love The DCT
12,598 Posts
No not really the important thing to note is that HD does not design or engineer much of what they sell or attempt to sell. They build a air cooled Vtwin and that's it. Porsche does all there specialty design work.
The article comes out of common information available via internet search and by common magazine articles.
None of it is made up - just search and you will see.

And yes HD does give the consumer what they want - Fashion and noise. As stated it doesn't matter if it actually works the consumer will purchase it as long as it keeps the same 108 year old tractor design intact and makes lots of noise. I think this speaks for the buyers mentality or lack of.

BTW porsche designed the current model of water cooled heads for the proposed Hydro Glide.
I remember the Super X's with obnoxiously loud straight pipes E-H reps were riding around at the Sturgis 2000 rally. They were blipping the throttle every few seconds. Wonder what their mentality or lack of was? :doorag:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Well that really has nothing to do with the lack of competent engineering on HD's part does it?

EH took a Westlake engine and completely re-engineered it for the SuperX. Unlike HD they had engineers that actually designed the bikes. Of course EH did not survive however they did build a factory and produced OEM bikes. Other notables like Indian never got that far and spend four times the money before tossing in the towel.
The only MC company to ever resurrect a product name has been Triumph.
Indian tried 4 times before Polaris finally purchased the rights to the name.

Interesting the biggest opposition to ventures like this one is not HD but rather Honda. Although HD did play hardball with it's dealers at the time.

I will agree with the loud pipes etc but keep in mind they were going after the segment of the sport or the "bikers"
I guess to sell to the sheep you have to emulate a sheep herder. :frown:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I don't make this stuff up - it's all out there all you have to do is look.
And just think if it wasn't for this there would be 50 oil postings :roll:
Storm, read your posts. . . read them again trying for the "feel" of your words. I think I may be getting a bit of feel . . . but . . .

May I ask if you have suffered (mental/physical) at the hands of the Company or the riders of Harleys. I know that such things have happened. Much too often.

If you would answer . . . it might help some of us understand what these Harley hate threads things are all about.

Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You all know the only reason they are doing this is to try to meet upcoming emmison standards, right?

same reason they have made the Vrod engine. Soon, like in the next 5-10 years, they will be forced by the .gov to go liquid cooled.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Storm, read your posts. . . read them again trying for the "feel" of your words. I think I may be getting a bit of feel . . . but . . .

May I ask if you have suffered (mental/physical) at the hands of the Company or the riders of Harleys. I know that such things have happened. Much too often.

If you would answer . . . it might help some of us understand what these Harley hate threads things are all about.

Thanks.
There you have it - no logical defense so now it's molested by tractors at a youthful age. :p:p:p:p

·
Registered
345 Posts
I predict if law enforcement ever does it's job and starts to enforce noise restrictions riders will bail as the thrill and machoness will be gone. What they will have left is a 108 year old tractor design and $12,000 of clothing.
In the meantime they will have outside contractors to continue to prop up the dying horse.
I for one HOPE and WANT the cops to DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE NOISE and start handing out $500 fines for noise. I am sick to death of all the F'en noise there A$$ Holes are making and for what....??? Look at me...I am riding a Harley...look how COOL I AM. Well I have news for you...your NOT cool...your a IDIOT...plan and simple. And it is thanks to them...YES THEM...that we...the NON harley guys and all others that ride have a bad name and are seen as thugs by John Q. Public in most cases.

I am sick of going deaf just so some "A" hole on a pig...sorry HOG can think he looks like gods gift to the motor cycle world...or so they think... I live in a peaceful place a small little town...more like a Village that is resort because of the hot springs that bubble out of the ground here. So a large number of riders DO come out this way and most are not a problem at all, however them comes the cool dudes...or so they think...on that pile of junk. And they seem to take great enjoyment in waking the whole town up...all 1,857 of us....at last count... We have this wonderful lake here more like a in land sea is more like it...as its that big..! 10Km wide 80 Km long. And in the middle of the lake is large island called ECHO ISLAND...and its named that for a reason! On each side of the lake are tall mountains. So I am not joking when I say ECHO chamber...! And these A holes know that and will go out of there way to put this effect to there own personal use.

How much of a problem is it, enough that our local paper if FULL of people writing in to complain about it, so much so that as I understand there was to be last year like a motor cycle event here...almost like a mini sturgys here....canceled due to locals not wanting to deal with the noise. So what has harley done for the world of motorcycles....I will tell you...its given all of us a big black eye as far as the public goes. Thanks Harley..!

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
For many years HD made the sweetest sound there is to many of us. The sound of Money..... If you didnt make money on them in the market... then I guess I'd be P. Off too.

And say what you want about marketing. You can only drive a company with good marketing so far. You need a good product to keep it going. Now on the other hand you can have a great product and lousy marketing and end up with little. It comes down to a good BOD and strong leadership to do it all these years. And with all the hate threads I see on this board for H.D it's amazing the company can keep the lights on. Wait, could it be they have done a good job at knowing how to run a business?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I love the sound of a Harley, they just sound great. Just like I like the sound of a sport boat with twin V-8s and thru hulls..

But man, I wish those offending guys would just practice some manners and realise the world doesnt want to hear the obnoxious bikes.

Its just a simple matter of acting like your Mother has told you to.

·
Love The DCT
12,598 Posts
I for one HOPE and WANT the cops to DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE NOISE and start handing out $500 fines for noise. I am sick to death of all the F'en noise there A$$ Holes are making and for what....??? Look at me...I am riding a Harley...look how COOL I AM. Well I have news for you...your NOT cool...your a IDIOT...plan and simple. And it is thanks to them...YES THEM...that we...the NON harley guys and all others that ride have a bad name and are seen as thugs by John Q. Public in most cases.

I am sick of going deaf just so some "A" hole on a pig...sorry HOG can think he looks like gods gift to the motor cycle world...or so they think... I live in a peaceful place a small little town...more like a Village that is resort because of the hot springs that bubble out of the ground here. So a large number of riders DO come out this way and most are not a problem at all, however them comes the cool dudes...or so they think...on that pile of junk. And they seem to take great enjoyment in waking the whole town up...all 1,857 of us....at last count... We have this wonderful lake here more like a in land sea is more like it...as its that big..! 10Km wide 80 Km long. And in the middle of the lake is large island called ECHO ISLAND...and its named that for a reason! On each side of the lake are tall mountains. So I am not joking when I say ECHO chamber...! And these A holes know that and will go out of there way to put this effect to there own personal use.

How much of a problem is it, enough that our local paper if FULL of people writing in to complain about it, so much so that as I understand there was to be last year like a motor cycle event here...almost like a mini sturgys here....canceled due to locals not wanting to deal with the noise. So what has harley done for the world of motorcycles....I will tell you...its given all of us a big black eye as far as the public goes. Thanks Harley..!
Don't forget to include all the Harley wannabe metric cruiser riders with straight pipes blipping their throttles, "Hey look at me, I'm a bad a$$ rice burner rider!" :doorag:

·
Registered
168 Posts
There you have it - no logical defense so now it's molested by tractors at a youthful age. :p:p:p:p
Thats good . . . I enjoy humor . . . perhaps to a fault.

Jocularity aside.

Would you care to . . .

Hey . . . man . . . I ain't trying to argue . . . I really am willing to learn. Others also . . . you know why . . . we can only speculate why.

Thanks!

·
Registered
345 Posts

Thanks.
I can tell you from my view point where I hate harley and everything it stands for. It stands for motor cycle GANGS…ie..The rock machine…hells angles…mongols…Shell I keep going…???? And what do they all ride….well I am waiting…

What I see and have found over the years is those that own and ride those…all have a attitude that is just….lets not even go there. And then there is the my S*** does not smell and I will do as I please….and if I want to blow you out of bed at 2 am with my loud pipes…I will do it…and what are you going to do about it…type attitude.

I can honestly say these types…and they are all harley types…have given all the rest of us a bad name….and the public tars and feathers us with the same brush…putting us in the same class as them. Why…? Because most to the public is sick of this crap and anything on two wheels with a engine is fair game.

Honda once had a very long running TV ad…and I think it was in news papers as well back then…not sure I think it was the mid 60’s or so. There slogan was…You meet some of the nicest people on a Honda. I think this was Honda’s way to counter the motor cycle thug image that was taking over back then from those that have NO LIFE.

No one did this to them....the harley guys did it to themselves...and the rest of us....us that ride...end up paying for there attitudes and what they do...and how they piss everyone off with the noise..that they make.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Don't forget to include all the Harley wannabe metric cruiser riders with straight pipes blipping their throttles, "Hey look at me, I'm a bad a$$ rice burner rider!" :doorag:
Ya....I know...there is always a few nut bars in every bunch.... I think Forest Gump said it best. Life is like a box of................... You know.

And I think this applies here as well...

21 - 40 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.