GL1800Riders Forums banner
81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Nope ... doesn't bother me at all ... I buy Honda because the bikes do what I want ... and don't need to go to the dealers. I visit the dealer when I'm ready to write a check for a new Honda ... not because of recalls, or broken bikes. In 30 years of Goldwings ... the 3 that I had/have were in the shop twice ... once for a recall in 1983 to have teflon slides put in the carb, second time for a required check, in '03, to make sure the frame weld was ok (it was).

When I've been on the road and suddenly needed new tires, I've had no problem finding a dealership, nor getting the tires quickly mounted.

And just to put "final" on your snarky comment ... if your version of "worst" is defined by "not available" ... I'd say that BMW and other small volume Euro bikes are far worse; if your version of "worst" is dealerships with the smallest amount of clothes advertising "H-D", you're likely right.
Was not trying to be snarky, was trying to show OP that even our wonderful wings come with their own set of problems and from my personal experience and reading the forums, the honda dealer network is pretty weak. I really dont know where to go within 200 miles of where I live. and my 2010 needs warranty work. I have asked, but a solid reference is hard to find. I have said it before, I may just ride the bike 800 miles to the dealer where I purchased it and drop it off for the winter.
Didnt mean to sound snarky, but service sucks in my area..
Peace?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Didnt mean to sound snarky, but service sucks in my area..
Peace?
Of course.

Just because I pop in now and then to tender my opinion doesn't mean I have any animus. I wave at all bikers (whether they wave back or not) and the only ones that truly annoy me are those who attract the wrong kind of attention.

Sorry to hear about the lack of competent dealers in your area, and that you need service ... unfortunately, quality has to be a mindset and not an inspection process ... so "Friday Cars" creep up in every motor vehicle.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Part of the patent claim states "...wherein the inlet port and the discharge port include quick-connect fittings configured to be connected and disconnected with cooling liquid supply return lines without the use of tools."

I wonder what the motivation for quick-connect fittings is here? Do they want to give the hard-core air-cooled V twin guys the option to easily remove the liquid cooling (just after purchase - at the same time they are removing the stock pipes and adding their stage 1 kit) ?

Or do they need this wrinkle to keep the patent idea unique? There certainly doesn't appear to be any other new ideas here.
Yep, good point!!!

Also . . . they gonna stick some butt ugly quick-disconnect fairing on every model bike they offer?

Another thought . . . the V Rod . . . being water-cooled . . . provided Harley a bit of time.

Maybe water-cooled police bikes. . . . a water-cooled Ultra . . . leave the smaller bikes alone . . . a little bit longer.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Water cooled H.D.

Howdy - A few weeks ago I was at the GWRRA District Convention In Mammoth Ca. There we all received a briefing on upcoming laws and Motorcycles. Of the three that I recall. Noise of Motorcycles was top of the list for increased enforcement. 2. Was Licensing requireing MSF riding course completion required of riders under 18 years old. and 3rd. That the E.P.A. would not allow large Air cool engines to be sold in Ca. as they do not meet the new standard in air quality for next year. I believe that is why H.D. will be redesigning it's motors. Because they must, if there going to sell. here in Ca.not because they want to. All those who have older bikes, would be "grandfathered" except they must meet the new noise limit..... I do not recall what the Db. reading on noise was going to be. Oh and Your pipes had to be factory or be stamped CAB approved. I'm sure someone will do search for pending motorcycles laws and come up with what else I may have missed. Be sure to check with your own state as it maybe differnt then here....Best Wishes Everyone Mike Dory

·
Love The DCT
12,693 Posts
Howdy - A few weeks ago I was at the GWRRA District Convention In Mammoth Ca. There we all received a briefing on upcoming laws and Motorcycles. Of the three that I recall. Noise of Motorcycles was top of the list for increased enforcement. 2. Was Licensing requireing MSF riding course completion required of riders under 18 years old. and 3rd. That the E.P.A. would not allow large Air cool engines to be sold in Ca. as they do not meet the new standard in air quality for next year. I believe that is why H.D. will be redesigning it's motors. Because they must, if there going to sell. here in Ca.not because they want to. All those who have older bikes, would be "grandfathered" except they must meet the new noise limit..... I do not recall what the Db. reading on noise was going to be. Oh and Your pipes had to be factory or be stamped CAB approved. I'm sure someone will do search for pending motorcycles laws and come up with what else I may have missed. Be sure to check with your own state as it maybe differnt then here....Best Wishes Everyone Mike Dory
Despite CARB, EPA regs etc., the majority of crotch rockets, metric cruisers, and HD's in CA have aftermarket exhaust systems installed. :doorag:

·
Registered
416 Posts
THANK YOU for saying that...I am NOT a biker...I am motorcyclist...that enjoys riding one. Thanks for the huge complement....

:thumbup:
Geez, yuh gotta pay more attention when reading, anyway...by your initial diatribe I surmised you're not a "rider"...I know for a fact you're not a "biker" so labeling you such never crossed my mind...you self-label as a "motorcyclist" which just seems so...so...blah and indistinct...which probably makes it accurate...

·
Registered
20,024 Posts
Mike, I have no doubt this is what they told you at the meeting. But some of those things I would take it with a grain of salt.

The air cooled motorcycle engine is reaching the end of its life. We all know that. But even with CARB's insane regulations, I have never heard of any agency ever banning a particular engine design. I don't think they have the authority to do that. Engines have however been rendered obsolete because mfrs couldn't get them to meet emissions regulations, or doing so became too expensive. 2-stroke engines are a good example of that.

If CARB had banned air cooled motorcycles, it would have been huge news, and would have been widely reported by every major media outlet. This is not to mention that CARB would be essentially cutting off the head of the only major American motorcycle mfr. That isn't likely to happen.

There was a clever April Fool's joke that spread earlier this year saying that CARB had banned air cooled engines for next year, and it fooled a lot of people. I have a feeling that your District Director is yet another victim, and hasn't caught on to the joke yet.

With regard to noise, it is targeted every year, and next year will be no different. It is always not much more than lip service by politicians who don't realize the problems involved with enforcement. I hope it happens. But don't hold your breath.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
The noise regulations that everyone talks about are a joke at best, Denver Colo tried that a few years ago and all it did was get them a few fines until a lawyer, forget his name, proved in court that even the box stock Denver PD harleys could not meet the noise restrictions! That lawyer went as far as to take the Judge, Prosecuting Attorney and other witnesses outside and performed a DB test on one of Denvers fleet of HDs, and it failed by a fair sized margin.

I have noticed that , for the most part, HD riders are getting away from "Straight Pipes" and going more towards tuned pipes and slip ons, and the JAP CRUISER market is the guilty party when it comes to straight pipes.

Also, in my opinion, if you want to hear a ANNOYING sound, go ride with those kids on crotch rockets! They shreik and buzz like a pissd off bumble bee in a blender and sound like total S____ !

Oh, as to what I base my OPINION on for the Jap Cruiser set, I have three 1% club members here in my neighborhood, all three on Harleys, and they are all three much quieter (still loud, but quieter) than the six or so Jap cruisers that live near me too. . . . All the jap riders have straight "Drag Pipes" and the 1%ers have slip ons. . . . interesting huh? And no one of the jap riders belong to any kind of CLUB or GANG either.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I believe in the 1% clubs an american v twin motorcycle is required for membership. Barger also made real positive comments about a st1100.

There are alot of fine motorcyclist that ride a Harley. They are a great looking bike and I had a road king a thought it was a nice bike. Under powered, poor brakes( a 94 model) but they arent advertising a sport bike.

they are what they are. I wonder if the guys on the harley forums go flaming about goldwings all the time?? lol

Yes

81 - 91 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.