GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moving to the DFW area. Am I required to take a safety course before I'm issued a motorcycle license?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Moving to the DFW area. Am I required to take a safety course before I'm issued a motorcycle license?
If you take the safety course, then it waives the "driving" test. Likewise, if you don't take the course... then all you have to do is complete the driving/written test and your done.

Make sure your "ride-along" vehicle is inspected and insured. :)

Requirements for All Applicants

All first time applicants for a Texas motorcycle license must:

1. Apply in person at a Texas Driver License office.
  2. Complete the requirements for an original applicant.
  3. Present a completion certificate of the Motorcycle Safety Course (MSB-8 or MSB-8R), approved by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. This completion certificate waives the driving test if you are 18 years of age or older.
All that said... if you already have a Motorcycle License from NY, then it's an automatic transfer to Texas. No Tests. I just did that a few years ago when I moved from Maine. Pretty painless.

Bob

·
Registered
569 Posts
Check with the DMV on line. Don't forget to bring a passport. ;) & don't tell anyone you are a Yankee. There are some in Texas who haven't heard the war is over.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
What part of DFW are you moving too?? Lots of great "wingers" in the area. We will have to meet up and introduce you to some.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will be working in Fort Worth and looking north. I would appreciate the introduction to the wingers in the area. Trying to sell house here, what a PITA. Bike is being moved with my household goods, that has me a little nervous. :eek:4:

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I will be working in Fort Worth and looking north. I would appreciate the introduction to the wingers in the area. Trying to sell house here, what a PITA. Bike is being moved with my household goods, that has me a little nervous. :eek:4:
Let us know when you get here!! we will put a raid er meeting together!!!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
CV Rider,

Welcome to North Texas! I'm just up the road from Ft Worth in South Denton!

Here's some info that may help you.

DPS Motorcycle Safety Unit Contact Info:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/msbcontact.htm

FAQs
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/msbfaqs.htm

Motorcycling in Texas Handbook
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/InternetForms/Forms/DL-8.pdf

When you go to the DPS Office, make sure you tell them which licenses you are wanting to transfer. Car, Motorcycle, Other.
TX DPS Offices take cash or check only, no CCs. Since you're out of state bring cash. I wish I could remember the amount. You will also need to provide proof of insurance.

BTW - My other half was raised in the Bronx and Long Island - I know, another world from Syracuse. But... to Texans ya'll are all Yankees. He can fill you in on all the places to get close to NY Food facimiles as possible in this area.

·
Registered
169 Posts

a guy i work with just got mc license and you have to take the bsc, or if you have a out of state mc license it will transfer , but about $200 per vehicle, for all transfers, tags and title, $150 fir the bike, they will take debit card, just did it 2 years ago.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Over my Arse and to give him directions NORTH

NB 35 accross the big river and junk up there STATE. JK welcome to DFW:22yikes:
What part of DFW are you moving too?? Lots of great "wingers" in the area. We will have to meet up and introduce you to some.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts