GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, Getting ready to pack up and move to Fla. I am needing to trailer the CSC cobra trike down. Has anyone ever used uhaul trailers, Trying to keep from driving 25 miles to go measure the trailer myself because they wont do it. (to busy is what they say). The diagram on thier page says the ramp is 4'9". but they dont say how wide the opening is for the trailer other than 6' x 10'.. but it looks like in the picture there are supports sticking out which might make the opening smaller than 6' Was just wondering if the CSC trike will fit. I know CSC says they are 61" wide with chrome fender well trim. But I measured it and its actually 59 3/4".

If you might have used a different trailer rental place that I can use that will work to..
Thanks for any information you can give...

Charles

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
First Don't Trust U-Hauls measurements.....!!!

To get a good measurement of the back of the Trike If you have a carpenters square ( the big one ) put the short side on the floor and against the widest part of the body , and mark the floor on both sides. Then when measuring the trailer opening add at least 4 inches, preferably 6 for more actual clearance, and if an enclosed trailer don't forget the guide/ support wires out on the door/ramp. If you can find a 7X12 open with ramp that will work. I don't know if I have ever seen a 7X10,,, but there nay be some out there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that is what I did to get the measurement.. used a level and marked the floor. Thats how I know its 59 3/4 inches wide.. I was just wondering if anyone had used a uhaul trailer to haul a trike since I didnt know the exact measurment of the opening of the trailer.. they do say 6 foot wide.. but.. it looks like there might be a brace that might cut down on that opening to drive it in. They do make a 6'x10' trailer but I just dont have the money to dish out to buy one with the move and all.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Another way would to see if you can find a used one to buy fairly reasonable and then sale it when you move,,,,:shrug: trailers sale fairly fast in most areas, with good return or little loss.

I have had the opportunity to whiteness just what you are talking about, when a guy went to pick up his new Trike,,,:-( it was 3/4 to narrow. He had just measured the door. That one was an enclosed trailer though, which he had to return, with out using.

This one may do it, but would check it first if possable....

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/EquipmentDetail.aspx?model=HO

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes .. that is the exact one I was looking at using. and the gate is only 4'9" but that will work for the tires to hit. Its where the gate meets up with the trailer there looks to be to angled supports.. I am wondering if those swing out of the way or if they are fixed.. if they are fixed.. well then the trike wont fit.. but if they swing out of the way it will. These yahoo's here in Fredericksburg Va are just lazy. Im thinking Im am just going to have to make the 50 mile round trip to measure it to see. Thanks for your input... :bow:

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have had to haul my trike on a U-haul one time. I think it was the 6X10. The MotorTrike fit between the supports, but there was less than an inch on each side as I went up. Once in, there was a little more room. Make sure if you go this route, that you have the front of the trailer plenty high as you load the trike. If you don't, you will scrape the bottom when your front wheel is in the bed and the rears are still on the ramp. If you have a belly pan- you're fine. YMMV.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Since I have a U-Haul place not 1 mile away, I looked at U-Haul to haul my bike on some long trips. Their motorcycle trailer gate entry way was too small for my CSC Trike. Missed it by 1/2 an inch or a little more I believe. I measured about 5.5 feet wide on the trike to be safe, and the entry way with the little back wall of the trailer made it too small for what I measured.

This was about 6 months ago, so I don't think they have a newer trailer as of yet...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts