GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I are considering a move to Albuquerque. We are done wight he winters in Chicago and I need better roads and weather conditions for riding :) Snow and Ice slows me down. I'd like to visit some of the roads not too far out of the city on our trip out there in March/April. What are a few roads you would recommend to get a little taste?

·
Registered
273 Posts
The wife and I are considering a move to Albuquerque. We are done wight he winters in Chicago and I need better roads and weather conditions for riding :) Snow and Ice slows me down. I'd like to visit some of the roads not too far out of the city on our trip out there in March/April. What are a few roads you would recommend to get a little taste?
Remember that it snows in Albuquerque also, maybe not as bad as Chicago. There are a lot of neat places to ride, northern New Mexico around Santa Fe is beautiful in the summer.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Check out Cloudcroft NM beautiful area. Small village nice roads around it. Just got back from the area. I could live there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
1. Head east on I-40 out of Alb. to Cedar Crest take a left there onto Rt. 14 (the back road to Santa Fe). Go thru Santa Fe north to Pojoaque left there onto 502 to Los Alamos, get on Hwy 4 in Los Alamos & go to San Ysidro, go SW there onto 550 back to Bernallillo/Alb.
This is a nice circle ride with some 4 lane travel, some city travel but mostly two lane road thru some nice hills and mountains. Outside of Los Alamos as you top out (you'll know when you top out) you will ride thru the Valles Caldera which is a super volcano that erupted and spread ash all the way to Nebraska. Big herds of Elk abound there, so be very watchful. Remember, if you see one deer or elk on or near the road, there are usually several, and they will come across the road out of nowhere! When in any forest in New Mexico, be especially watchful for wild life.

2. Go east on I-40 to Cedar Crest turnoff and go south this time on Rt. 14 thru Tijeras to Tahique to Willard to Mountainair. Go West on Rt 60 to I-25 and back north to Alb. Another nice circle route, maybe not as good as no. 1, but worth doing to learn the neighborhood.

3. West on I-40 to Acomita or the turnoff south to Acoma Pueblo, the Sky City. An Indian Village built on a high mesa (700') with
sheer sides all around, from which the Acomas threw the Spanish priests to their deaths during the Indian Revolt of 1590. Take the tour from the visitor center, located at the bottom of the mesa. Good scenery, but not many twisties, mostly Interstate.

Don't know how far you want to ride, but there are some really great rides in New Mexico. If you want to know any more email me & I can tell you about most of the State. I was born here and am now living in the Southeastern part of the State, a desert region, but with mountains around us.

I'm sure you've looked at the map of New Mexico. If you see a national forest, there are good rides in all of them. Just pick out the route you want.

New Mexico is an Open Range state. This means there are roads that go thru areas and the roadway is NOT
fenced to keep livestock off the road. If you hit a ranchers livestock in one of these areas, it is your fault, and you are responsible for killing or injuring that animal. So if you see livestock near the roadway, SLOW DOWN and drive carefully. And if you see a diamond shaped sign with a cow on it, that's what it means. Easterners are often suprised at how things are done out here. Don't try to change things to the way it was done back home and you'll be welcome.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Caliche Kid,

Awesome routes that you suggested!!

It definitely does not snow near as much here as it does in Chicago,, I ride year around here in Rio Rancho/Albuquerque area, and yes it does snow,, but usually the snow is either gone that afternoon or the next day. Centrally located as well so it makes for an easy ride to get to either the West or East Coast or wherever you want to go.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey Zia, if you're ever down in Southeast NM, email me before & I'll give you a few rides down here in the Sacramentos & Guadalupes that are really fun! Of course you've probably ridden them before. Might be I could go with you.
We are really lucky here in NM because we have so many great rides.
I lived in Santa Fe for 17 years & rode all over that part of the State, but the OP wanted rides near Alb. so I gave him a few close ones.
He'll discover Raton, Abiqui, Chama, Ojo Caliente, Eagle Nest, Red River, High road to Taos, and others on his own the longer he lives in the state.

·
Registered
72 Posts
ZZ, going to be taking an Iron Butt ride to San Diego & will be passin thru Ariz. soon. What's it like down towards Nogales & the Southeastern part of your state? Or should I turn off the interstate toward Globe & head over into NM in that direction? I'll be taking it pretty easy on my way back and trying to see some pretty country. Probably going to stop in Phoenix & pick up some LD Comfort gear to use on the RAT ride 2014.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Albq Riding

There is a lot of good riding close to Albuq, and a lot of people to ride with.
mayb day ride out of here ,couplke hundred miles. it not like Chicago .Here 60 miles is about an hour or less

1 - 10 of 10 Posts