GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this question is asked from time to time but what the heck. I might just well ask it again..
I am looking for valuable input of the wingers.
I would like to know which unit they find the best on there Bike.
Either a Mp-3 or I-pod model, type and dependablity is really a must...
Looking to replace the satellite radio with it....I want to listen to music when I ride..Satellite radio now is alot of talk and some music...Heck I can listen to FM for free to get the same programming...

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have both, my mp3 only allows forward and reverse skip of tracks, ipod alllows you to pick exactly what you want to hear. I have heard of problems with vibration locking ipod up, but I have not experienced that problem as of yet. My pick would be ipod if price is not a factor. I agree with your statement about satelite radio, XM is soon to be history for me.

·
Vendor
22,218 Posts
There are more accessories available for the Ipod than there are any other brand of MP3 player. The new Ipod interface for the GoldWing that Electrical Connections has is a perfect example.

For this reason alone, I would suggest the Ipod above anything else. While there are lots of other good MP3 players around, the Ipod still has the best user interface and the most available aftermarket accessories, and though it isn't perfect, its pretty hard to beat in a lot of respects.

For use on a bike, I would suggest a 16GB Nano Ipod. The hard drive based Ipods have larger capacities, but they tend to have problems locking up due to vibration. The Nano uses flash memory instead of a hard drive, and the lack of moving parts makes it more reliable when exposed to vibration on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
408 Posts
If you don't have nav or GPS, get a Garmin Zumo. The built-in MP3 player is very nice and easy to operate with the touch screen. Also, you can expand your music storage with SDHC cards.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I prefer the iPod but since it's a hard drive based unit [and I've already killed one hard drive based iPod :oops: ] I am using mp3s in my Zumo 550. But that's a mixed blessing.

Good: solid state, less clutter on the handlebars, fewer remotes to carry.

Bad: limited storage [2/4GB SD card vs 8/16GB iPod], needing to alter the display on the 550 to change music, I can't use the mp3 SD cards in my 276C GPS, more wiring

I seem to have a lot of music on my iPod [somewhere north of 140GB] and listen to a wide variety of music, podcasts, and audio books. I also dislike hearing the same song twice but enjoy making playlists.

The 550 allows playlists, genre's, artists, and the ability to shuffle but I always seem to be either skipping the selected song or trying to remember what the title and artist are. ;)

I would not even consider a hard drive based mp3 player despite the nice ride of the wing.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I prefer the MP3 player. I don't have to select songs to play while riding and the one I have remembers where it left off the next time. Don't want to talk on a cell phone/no CB and the GL interface works fine for me. I think the Ipod is over priced (although I have one) for what u get. For me the only possible + is that the Ipod is rechargeable. But I have my MP3 player hooked up to a D cell battery which lasts about a year anyway. So that is not a big +.:lol:

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I use ipod, i have it stored with over a thousand songs, just start and play and get on the bike and ride and listen. If i ride for six hours she's still there playing the songs i like not ones that i hate (sometimes when we touch by dan hill). i have the jack in the left front pocket so it is just plug and play.

I have never had my ipod freeze up or ruin the hard drive.

The only down side is that the battery will eventually lose its charge after a while and although you recharge it the battery does wear out and you have to buy a new one. But heck at 160 dollars or get the cheap one for 89 dollars its worth price to listen to your favorite songs while in the mountains

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I've got a 20gb Sony HD MP3 player from 2004 with 6600 songs on it that plays 12 hrs a day every day and has been 100,000 miles on the road at least, but few on a motorcycle, but no problems so hard drive works fine for me.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I didn't know EC made an interface for the ipod, thanks. I have an iphone so I'll look in and see if the interface works with that as well.
The interface will work with the I-Phone but only the Music part, you can not hear or answer the phone,and it does not charge the phone, you can see the phone ring but not hear it, would have been nice but the interface was designed for the I-pod, my Touch works perfect.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have an iPod "Touch" that I plug into the AC outlet in the fairing pocket. It works well. I've used in on my Wing for almost two years and have never had hard drive issues with it. I used to have an iPod "Classic" On the Classic the hard drive would regularly freeze up.

·
GL1800Riders Founder
1,813 Posts
I have an iPod "Touch" that I plug into the AC outlet in the fairing pocket. It works well. I've used in on my Wing for almost two years and have never had hard drive issues with it. I used to have an iPod "Classic" On the Classic the hard drive would regularly freeze up.
I just bought a gen2 Touch and it's the best toy I've bought in a long time. With the wifi built in I use it to check my boards all the time.:thumbup:

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/guidedtour/tour/medium.html

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lewis web site info...

Looking for lewis EC connections web site....Interrested in reviewing / looking over there Ipod interface.....The Ipod seems to be the unit of choice with out alot of problems....

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I didn't know EC made an interface for the ipod, thanks. I have an iphone so I'll look in and see if the interface works with that as well.
Here's mine installed in the trunk: :p

·
Registered
306 Posts
Here's mine installed in the trunk: :p

Where did you get that step-plate in the lower part of the trunk? Mine doesn't have that.

Whatchou got under da plate?? CD changer? CB? Maybe the plate comes with that??

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Where did you get that step-plate in the lower part of the trunk? Mine doesn't have that.

Whatchou got under da plate?? CD changer? CB? Maybe the plate comes with that??
The false bottom came with the CB. The CB sits under the false bottom. You can see the three wires from the CB coming out of the right rear of the false bottom in the picture. I ran the EC cable through the same hole and grommet I used to install the CB.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
I like my nano ipod 2gig, it is plug and play, no hard drive, and holds about 500 tunes.:beer3:

·
Registered
306 Posts
The false bottom came with the CB. The CB sits under the false bottom. You can see the three wires from the CB coming out of the right rear of the false bottom in the picture. I ran the EC cable through the same hole and grommet I used to install the CB.
How tight is that grommet around those wires?

I drilled a hole and now need a grommet...

Any ideas on where to get one like you have pictured?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts