GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have MP3 files on my USB stick from several sources. The volume of the songs varies as to where it can from (or so it appears). Many years ago I found a piece of software that allowed me to equalize the volume of songs so I did not have to change the audio volume as the songs recorded volume changed.

I no longer have that computer and rather than do a web search I thought I'd ask if anyone on the forum had a similar problem and how they addressed the issue.

What I would like to have is a piece of software I could run the songs through that would equalize the volume in replay without changing the songs basic characteristics.

Thanks.

·
Registered
471 Posts
......What I would like to have is a piece of software I could run the songs through that would equalize the volume in replay without changing the songs basic characteristics.....
MP3Gain works great.

MP3Gain.Sourceforge.net
Download the exe file, then install MP3Gain.

After install,
Click add File (or Folder).
Click Track Analysis (shows the different actual levels).
Click Track Gain. Takes a few minutes to adjust an album of songs at once.
It will change and save the new levels.

Now click Clear All, then go add some more albums, and Track Gain the rest of your music.
Done.
Jefro.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
+1 on MP3Gain, works great.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys that might be the program I used in years past it looks familiar. I will update my post after I run the software on the music files.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Yup........MP3 gain.........been using it for probably 15 years, works slick.

What's nice is it's fully reversible if desired.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
THANK JEFRO! I was using SuperMP3Normalizer that was discontinued with Windows 7. When I went to Windows 10 it didn't work so I still have a Windows 7 system that I have been normalizing my MP3 files.

I am glad to see that this new MP3 normalizer works in Windows 10!

·
Vendor
22,067 Posts
Just be sure to save your original files if you use MP3 gain on them. If you bring the volume down too much you may find you can't get enough volume out of your device and may need to revert back to the original files. Unless it has changed, I think if the program gets deleted or moved on you computer they are no longer reversible.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just be sure to save your original files if you use MP3 gain on them. If you bring the volume down too much you may find you can't get enough volume out of your device and may need to revert back to the original files. Unless it has changed, I think if the program gets deleted or moved on you computer they are no longer reversible.
Yes I have a backup thumb drive which I am just now verifying before I try the program. Trust but Verify.

The only issue I have is I have a Mac (well I have a windows emulator on the Mac but...I want to try the Mac version.). So I will give it a try and see what happens. Maybe be a few hours or days (depending on when I get to ride the wing again) to verify the volume issue is resolved.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:

I downloaded the Mac version and ran the "analyze" part of the program. I only had about 200 songs and it took about a minute to do the analysis. Some songs had as much as a 10db difference in volume. With, as I remember, 3db being twice as much that makes 10db 2 cubed or 8 times as loud as other songs. No clipping was found so I am now running the software to change the volume. After that I will do the analyze function again to see what happened.

The funny part of that is that, in my audio setup, for normal or zero level songs I set the volume at 7 and for the loud ones I have to use 2 since if I use 1 its almost inaudible. I wonder if 7 is seven times the volume of 1?

·
Registered
471 Posts
MP3Gain uses 89 db as the "Target Normal Volume".
I find that this default value is a great normal volume for my mp3 player and all my other devices, including the new Wing USB player.

I have experimented in the past with raising the Target Value up to 95, but got a lot of clipping and overdrive, so I went back to the default 89 db.

The software will change and save the new 89 db levels, but you could change the default up to 92 or so if you wanted to experiment.

Also, there is NO DOWNSIDE to normalizing all your music, especially if you have music files from many different sources like CD burning and music streaming.
But, if you still use the Windows Media Player, you may have to re-import all your songs again after running them thru the MP3Gain Track Gain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts