GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, electronics experts!

I am not one, and in need of a little help to get started here.

Got a nice MP3 player for Christmas, it's a SanDisk made by Sansa, or vice-versa. We would like to connect it to our audio system so we can lister over the speakers or the headset, as desired.

We would probably prefer to locate it in the right fairing pocket.

So I'm guessing we need to make two connections, one to power, one to audio.

We thought the EC IPOD interface would be an easy solution, but apparently it is for IPODs only.

Any help, ideas, directions will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Jim in Franklin, TN

·
Registered
123 Posts
connection

There is a audio plug that should be coming through a hole in the left front fairing pocket that you can plug into and use the AUX feature on the radio. This runs the MP3 player through the radio, and I just leave my Ipod in the pocket. If the plug isn't in the pocket, pull the pocket out and search underneath for it. Sometimes they don't pull it through during setup.

·
Registered
687 Posts
The Aux cord may not be connected as most dealers do not install it. It may be with your Owners Manual in the saddlebag. If not, they are available. The correct connector for the cord is in or rather under the left pocket, not a problem to install. I use a 12 power supply for my Creative Zen mp3. Hard wired, it reduces the 12 volts to 5 I think. It is connected to a switched circuit so as not to drain the battery. Once connected to the aux cord, you can have the audio through the speakers or the headsets.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
The plug is under the left side fairing pocket. It's not installed by the dealer at set up but should of been given to you with the owners book. Plug it in and run it throught the hole in the pocket, connect the end to your MP3 player, and push the AUX button on the radio, and your set. my MP3 players uses a AAA battery for power. If yours can be plugged into a power outlet you can put one in the left pocket also, there is a plug for that under the pocket by the plug for the MP3 player. Here is the Honda one but there are after market ones for about 1/2 the price

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=887&str=4

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you use power source from the bike, install a ground loop isolator from E.C. inline with the audio jack. I don't recall any noise problems when I ran my mp3 on it's own battery.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I ran the audio plug from the left hand pocket, under the dash section (one with ingition) in it and to just under the key. I then put good velcro on sansa and the dash. This way it is easy to see and if it rains, its easy to remove and put in my pocket as if any water contacts the sansa, it will shut down. Let it dry and it will resume working. In fact I use the fm tuner on the sansa over the bike radio as the sound is much better.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have the same Sandisk Sansa. I just connect it to tha AUX in the left pocket. No need for a power connection. The internal battey last all day of riding 8-10 hrs. I just recharge it at night in the motel.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Noisey

I use the Sansa on the AUX in the left fairing pocket,however I added the EC 12v power outlet there and when I plug in my Sansa (to 12v power outlet ) it goes from music to all static,no music at all !!!!!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MP3 player install

Thanks, guys!

As usual, no biggie deal when the experience of others is shared.

Really appreciate all the help. Heck, I wasn't even aware the thing had an FM receiver, which I now know thanks to Wingnut1!

This board is the best!

Jim in Franklin, TN

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
My advice, before you start trying to re-invent the wheel, would be to just plug the player into the Honda audio connector, throw the thing in the left glove box, and try it out that way for awhile. Then you can decide what works for you and what doesn't.

You may find that you don't need to run it on bike power, and it isn't a big deal to pop it in the trunk if you are going to leave the bike for awhile.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The MP3 I have(Sansa) is powered by one AAA battery. I made what looks like a battery out of a plastic ink pen shell with a dab of solder on each end. there's a wire coming from each end and out the middle of the pen shell, and this goes to a two wire plug of choice. I whittled a notch in the back of the battery cover to allow the power wire to pass through. Next I ran a positive (with 15 amp fuse) wire from bike battery to left fairing pocket. Then a NEG wire. These two wires I ran to input side of a fog light relay I bought in a truck stop. From there I ran wires to a double cigarette lighter plug complete with rubber plugs. The relay I spoke of is activated by the (5 amp I believe) accessory lead that is also in the left pocket. I bought a 12V convertor that is adjustable to various DC voltages. I found this on ebay for around 12 bucks). I set this on 1.5V and ran a wire from the convertor to a plug I made to connect to my "makeshift MP3 battery". The convertor you can hook to either your relay output wires or the lighter plug wires. When every thing is connected, you can run your sound system plug into your MP3. It took me several hours to rig this up as I made sure I soldered each connection. When I began to run my GPS through the sound system, I had to install a Ground Loop Isolator (available from Radio Shack for less than 20 bucks) to prevent what sounded to me like alternator whine. In order to make it so I could switch back and forth on the sound system between GPS and MP3, I found an inexpensive speaker switch on the internet that switched between the two. In the process of putting this together, I probably spent two days trying out things and then correcting my mistakes, but it does work quite well. My dash area is a little cluttered also. I am not an electronics knowledgeable person, but have a fairly good "shade tree" knowledge of electricity. If needed, I can run heated clothing, gps, or cell phone from lighter plugs. The plugs turn off and on with the ignition or accessory position of ignition switch so I don't accidentally leave something on and run down battery. I have plans of cleaning up the look so it's not so cluttered, but at least I know it works for now. I'm living proof that it CAN be done by a shade tree electrician, but it was a lot of brain strain.....my wife thought she smelled wood burning several times during this little project. A person who is used to working with electronics and wiring on a regular basis would find this a simple procedure.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I have a Sansa too. I just plug it into the Aux audio connector, and put it on shuffle play, and let it play all day.......don't forget to push the AUX button on the radio console!!!!!

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Like, Marroblet, Steve and others above said. I too, have the Sansa 4 or 6 gig model. I just use the internal battery, put it on play and away I go !!!

Charge it up at night. I also have Satellite radio, and an FM Transmitter which I use to transmit MP3's to my radio on 3 USB Sticks I keep on the bike, and between those three + local stations; I have MORE than enough to keep my ears busy. :thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts