GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the bikeMP3 player. I am sick of the problems with it.
I NEVER listen to the radio.
I don't want the CD player.

I HATE/DESPISE speakers in my ears.
I know almost nothing about MP players.

I would like an MP3 player mounted where I can reach it to change songs or volume , or turn it off.
I want it to be wired into the Goldwing speakers, NOT through the radio , but directly to the speakers.

Can this be done?......2007 GL 1800

Amy suggestions on what to get and or how to do it will be greatly appreciated..........THANKS!!!!

I like bass , I don't want, can't stand tinny treble sound.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
You can run one thru the aux input in the LH pocket.
It WILL run the aux of the bikes audio system, so bike volume controls will be operational -- but the bikeMP3 won't be in the loop, and can be removed.

Lots have done this with an mp3 player or iPod or using a smart phone with an audio out jack.

Some GPS units have built-in mp3 players and can also be connected up this way.

Set tone controls to suit your preference.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Sure, it can be done. The question is: do you really want to do what it takes?

Farmguy gave the best option. In my opinion.

An MP3 player wouldn't have enough power to drive the speakers - they're meant for driving little earbuds. So you'd need an amp in the mix. That's what the onboard audio system would do for you using the Auxiliary jack. You could run an audio extension (and power) up the left handlebar so you could mount the player there instead of the left cubby.

I have a J&M MP3 player in my trunk - I think it's the first version - and it works fine for me. I also use a Garmin Zumo 590 and I have the wiring harness for that connected to that AUX jack under the left cubby for music and that works fine too.

·
Registered
869 Posts
You can run one thru the aux input in the LH pocket.
It WILL run the aux of the bikes audio system, so bike volume controls will be operational -- but the bikeMP3 won't be in the loop, and can be removed.

Lots have done this with an mp3 player or iPod or using a smart phone with an audio out jack.

Some GPS units have built-in mp3 players and can also be connected up this way.

Set tone controls to suit your preference.
Farmguy has the best solution above...

·
Registered
608 Posts
I just installed a product from J&M, JMDM-GL18E, that is a digital music player with USB/AUX/Bluetooth inputs, and so far I like it. I replaced the Soundgate system with this one. You could mount your music player, ie ipod, on the handlebars and plug it in with the supplied cord and also Bluetooth your phone or any other Bluetooth capable device.

·
Registered
427 Posts

Just get one of these that plugs into you CD connector under the seat. It is stored in your trunk and your handle bar controls allows for operation of it. As for additional volume booster, aftermarket amplifier and better/more speakers are needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
608 Posts

Just get one of these that plugs into you CD connector under the seat. It is stored in your trunk and your handle bar controls allows for operation of it. As for additional volume booster, aftermarket amplifier and better/more speakers are needed.

That's the one I got, a lot cheaper from Sierra though.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
There any any number of solutions to getting an MP3 player into the bike audio system, where you can play it through a headset or through the speakers.. Though, on my '05, the speakers were a waste of time much above 45 MPG, even after upgrading them. The simplest is just plugging your phone or mp3 player into your AUX jack and using the bike to control the volume. Doesn't let you make phone calls, though you'd probably hear it if someone called you, but we;re talking strictly music. (I've tried 'em all.... ) :)

What I ran for a LONG time was an iPod shuffle (most any iPod would do, but the shuffle held thousands of songs and was the size of a large postage stamp.) I bought the Electrical Connection iPod connector kit, which gave it power from the bike for long rides and a connection into the AUX jack for sound output. Then I bought an iJet remote control for the ipod, which went between the EC cable and the iPod, and let me control the songs from the remote, which I velcroed to the top of the CB controls. If you don't need the bike power, the 6' AUX cable I bought for a few bucks would hook a phone or MP3 or iPod direct to the bike, but them you have to worry about battery life.

Seems like I tried a J&M MP3 player, but it didn't work out.. I futzed with various earbud, finally made my own form-fit earbugs with a kit from Lowes, and got an Edsets BlueStreak, and after getting the requisite mike splitter, and power filters to get the alternator noise down, I could listen to my phone through the earbuds that connected to the headset plug via a 5-pin to 3.5mm adapter.

And then, a year after I got all this sorted out, I had to go buy a 2016, which had a native MP3 player... Of course, I can't use that and the GPS on the phone at the same time, so I moved the Bluestreak setup over to the new bike. Oh, and I also found out I was going deaf and need hearing aids, which may account for the lousy sound quality I'd been perceiving all those year.. :)

Reactions: Ken A. H.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts