GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just purchased an 04 GL1800 and was wondering If anyone has used an mp3 player? I cain't justify the costs of the CD changer but still want to choose my own music. I'm not that familiar with the players and was wondering if they will plug into the optional power supply in the left hand faring pocket and if they will plug into the head phone plug in the pocket?

·
Registered
407 Posts
The IPOD seems to be very popular but I just bought a 20GB RIO. It is not much bigger than half a pack of cigarettes and will hold almost 5000 songs. It plugs in directly to the AUX jack of the sound system and works GREAT! I will be looking for a 5 volt adapter but the on board Litium Ion battery will run non-stop for over 15 hours before re-charging, so I am not in a rush to hook up power to the bike.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Yes and Yes. Under left pocket is the connector for the Aux imput - your Mp3 should have a mini jack output which will plug right in and play thru either the radio speakers or your headset. Power is available under the pocket also tho you will have to add the necessary end. Have you considered Satilite radio - cheaper than most Mp3's and more types of music than you would ever want to download. I installed a "Y" connector at the output plug and ran the sirius radio into one leg and have the extra leg should I ever use my mini disk again.Just a thought.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Since I installed my Sirius Satellite radio about a year ago I no longer use my Archos MP3 player.
You get un-ending music and can listen to the same music all day without changing the channel because the station faded out.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I use the Archos 20gig MP3.

For some it works great in the left pocket of the fairing. For others, it skipped. I am a skipper. I put it in my tank bag and it works fine.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I tried one and didn't like it. It wasn't loud enough, there was too much junk to haul around, and too many wires. I would rather have XM radio. I run off the speakers and do not use head sets.

·
Chard Member
13,051 Posts
I have a Sony 707 mini disc, which was last years model. I have enjoyed it for a year & a half! Never a problem. Simple to use and smaller than a pack of cigarettes. Mine has the remote with it which makes life better if you ask me. I have the remote run out with the headset female plug. With the remote you can do anything you can with the unit itself. The only thing I use the remote for is to change tracks and turn the unit off and on. If I am riding in the rain I have a notch cut in the bottom of the lid so I can tuck the remote inside the box.

I don't know what wires Curt is talking about. You have one line in and one line out. If you use battery power, you only have a single wire going to the unit. My volume is the same as the singing radio on the bike. Not a problem! When you stop and park the bike you don't need to remove anything to keep it secure because it is stored inside the left pocket.

Wal Mart has a complete Sony unit with car adapter and remote for less than $150. I've had the factory CD changer. If the mini and the factory changer were both $150, I would still buy the mini again! I can change the mini disc in just a minute or so.

·
Registered
107 Posts
MP3 Player

Get an iPod. I have a 30gig model with 5800 songs on it. Put it in the left pocket, set to random play by song and forget about it. Extremely easy(its automatic) to sync songs and playlists with iTunes on either Mac or PC. Doesn't skip like my Arkos Jukebox did, and hasn't ever locked up my computer while transfering songs like the archos always did.

dMac

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks

Thanks for all the replys and all the different ideals. Sounds like there are a lot of options out there other than the expense of the hondaline cd changer. If anyone else has comments or suggestions please keep them comming.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Old technology

Forget the CD player for sure. It takes up too much room, will skip some and holds a very limited amount of tunes.

I added an iPod early last spring and found it a delight. I passed on the XM radio option due to the size of the antenna, mounting requirements, and the need for a power plug and a power filter.

Now, that I have learned about a problem with the life of the iPod batteries, I hesitate to recommend one.

In fact, if I had to set something up today, it would definitely be the XM, they are smaller, have very small (mount anywhere) antennas and give you unlimited audio choices. I expect to mount one if and when the iPod gives up the ghost.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: MP3 Player

dMac said:
Get an iPod. I have a 30gig model with 5800 songs on it. Put it in the left pocket, set to random play by song and forget about it. Extremely easy(its automatic) to sync songs and playlists with iTunes on either Mac or PC. Doesn't skip like my Arkos Jukebox did, and hasn't ever locked up my computer while transfering songs like the archos always did.

dMac
dMac

Is there a car/bike power adapter available for the iPod?

GolfRob

·
Registered
533 Posts
Is there a car/bike power adapter available for the iPod?
Yes, but why bother. The iPod battery will keep putting out the tunes for 9 to 10 hours on a single charge. It does come with a really neat charger, so each evening you can plug it in, so it is ready for the next day.

The battery runs long, as you can see, but it looses its charge in a week or two when not in use. So, remember to charge it the night before you push off.

One other thing: be sure to get the model that will work with your computer, PC and iMac use different models. :?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Here's the option I went for. Was looking at mini disc players but a friend had one and it would skip on the bumps. He padded the fairing pocket and that seemed to take care of the problem. My Hi-Tech son-in law alerted me to the MP3 Players as they are digital solid state and will not skip. I went shopping at the local stores and then ebay and found the NEX IIe by Frontier Labs (http://www.frontierlabs.com/. I paid $130 and a 256mg Compact Flash Card and shipping were included. I have since bought another 256mg card for $55 less a $20 rebate at amazon. I can get about 4 hours of music on the 256mg card. That's enough for me. It will accept the 1g IBM Micro Drive. (My camera uses Compact Flash Cards, also) A on line dealer out of L.A.
(http://store.yahoo.com/insidecomputer/mp3player.html)
has them for about $5 more. Or he has the ia model which also has an fm receiver and a remote control and a 512mg card for about $239. I started out using it in the left faring pocket, but wanted access while riding so had to somehow install but didn't want to make any permanent changes to the MC plastic. Found a wide elastic strap and wraped around the pocket door. I could then slip the player case flap under the elastic strap and fasten. I pulled the accessory pigtail out of the pocket and routed it alongside the headset cord. There was enough space so the pigtail is not pinched. I use NMH batteries which last 10 to 12 hours and have a 1hr charger for recharging.

·
Registered
21 Posts
MP3 Player

I have a 60 GB Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra MP3 with 6,300 songs on it. It came outjust prior to Christmas 03. It has a replaceable LI battery should that become necessary. It works great via the AUX connector in the left pocket. I also have the Honda CD Changer that works fine as well. (Can't believe the Honda CD Changer will not play MP3s yet.) Both work fantastic but I can tell you, based on my experience, that I spent way too much money on my music needs. The other downside is that MP3 player does not hook up to the left bar controls used for the CD Changer. It's basically turn on and play. I think the XM radio would offer the best bang for the buck.

Honda needs to get caught up on 2004 audio technology and include XM radio capability on the bike and utilize standard thumb controls. Their CD Changer should also include MP3 capability and they should offer an MP3 player option that would also allow the use of left hand controls. This would be a great audio package for the world's best touring MC!

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i really like the sat radio route, but if you are particular about the music selection, a mp3 is got to be the easiest way to run.

aux input and a power supply in the left pocket makes an easy hookup.

i just read that my garmin gps will play mp3 files, its an ique 3600. perhaps a unit like that could solve both navigation and music source.

loren

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I have the Hondaline CD player. Just got done hooking
up a XM Delphi sat radio. Super simple to hook up - just
plug inthe power supply to the cigarette lighter, velcro the
antenna to the dash, plug in the Aux inputs in the left front
pocket, cough up ten buck a month, and good to go.

Since I put it in about a week ago, have decided the $1000
CD changer is excess baggage.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Loren,
the only problem with the iQue's mp3 capability is that it will only play tunes off a card, so you have to put your tunes on the card .... and using the mp3 card will mean you don't have the GPS map data card online .... one card at a time.
Also, when you're thinking of tunes on the road, the small storage capability (1/2gb card) dure doesn't compete with the 20-30-40-60 gb (hard drive beased) Nomads and Ipods and the like.

By the way, I just ordered a battery pack adapter for the iQue ... allows you to hook on a small battery pack with rechargeable (or alkaline) batteries ... fo rthose times when you decide you want to go hiking instead of riding ... LOL

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have an IPOD that I enjoy very much. I have the cig adapter but use it for rechargeing since I hear the alternator whine throught it.

I just saw this at WWW.tigerdirect.com. Do a search on this phrase "Classic 10GB Hard Drive MP3/WMA Player". Price was less than $120 for 10 gig. Don't know anything about it except its cheap.

For the people that think satellite radio is cheap don't you have to pay $10-$12 per month? Over 10 years doesn't that add up to about $1200-$1400. Or are you able to cancel it in the winter? I agree that then you don't have to worry about copying the music from cds or wherever.

Not looking for an argument just educate me please.

·
Registered
533 Posts
iPod for $120, WOW!

WV W,
I have the Classic iPod, but I bought it when it was $399, and felt good that I found a new one for only $325. :22yikes:

The main difference that I've noticed is that it doesn't have buttons like the new ones. However it has touch controls that do all the same thing. I like mine a lot, but would like it even better if it had cost less.

As to the XM radio subscription (from a non-owner). I believe that the substription is for 12 months, and I also think that they collect it on a one, two or more years basis.

Still, $10 a month is probably less than it will cost you to buy new CDs that you need to download more tunes.

Half my 10gigs is taken up by Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones and ZZTop, but even I have to add some new stuff once in a while. I figure that the subscription and the CD cost must even out in the end. :money1:

The other thing about the XM is that nothing stops you from using it in your car when you aren't on the bike.

$120, you say. :yes1:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts