GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a used '02 which has been wired for a handheld CB in the left storage bin. Wanted to explore the notion of getting a MP3 player for those solo jaunts through the boondocks.

Would appreciate learning from someone who has already passed along this road? Like money was no object; ha, which unit would you purchase this time? Any reason to suspect one would benefit greatly from having a handlebar mounted remote for song surfing? Oh, principally this two wheeler is used for two up riding (your's truly in front, on the remote, etc), any problems there as long as mama gets her way?

Make it light on yourself, answer what you want. I'm proned to ramble!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Howdy Jake and welcome to the board!

I use the Archos Jukebox 20 gig MP3 player. Some have had luck putting it in the left fairing compartment, but others, including me, have had it skip.

I keep mine in my tank bag and it does just fine. With about 1800 songs or so, it'll play as long as I want to ride!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
IB Mike said:
Howdy Jake and welcome to the board!

I use the Archos Jukebox 20 gig MP3 player.
Mike I also have been looking at MP3 players, but I am intarested in the accessing of the music, can you set up your player to find an album and then a spacific song or can they only just play songs on play list one after another without spacific selection of songs? :?

Al

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Amaxx said:
Mike I also have been looking at MP3 players, but I am intarested in the accessing of the music, can you set up your player to find an album and then a spacific song or can they only just play songs on play list one after another without spacific selection of songs? :?

Al
Al,
You can set up playlists, or with a bit of effort, find an album, or specific song.

That is the downside to having such a large amount of space... it does take awhile to sort through 1800 songs!!

But if you take the time to organize your files, it isn't too difficult a process. Don't think you could do it while riding though!! :shock:

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
My son did a lot of research on this and opted to go with the Apple iPod (which I then surprised him with as a Christmas gift). I do know that Monster (no, not 'LaMonster') makes a device that not only charges an iPod from a cigarette lighter socket but also allows you to play it through your existing vehicle stereo system. There are ten different FM radio settings from which you can choose then simply set your FM radio to that setting and listen to your iPod. Pretty neat idea for something like seventy bucks as I recall.

If you have a college student in the family you can buy Apple stuff for 10% off through their website. Some companies have even better discount deals with Apple, too, so you might want to check around. Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Gary in Indiana said:
I do know that Monster (no, not 'LaMonster') makes a device that not only charges an iPod from a cigarette lighter socket but also allows you to play it through your existing vehicle stereo system. There are ten different FM radio settings from which you can choose then simply set your FM radio to that setting and listen to your iPod. Pretty neat idea for something like seventy bucks as I recall.
There are a lot of wireless FM transmitters for this use. I think most of them are a lot cheaper than $70!!

Works if you don't have anything better, but you'll only get "radio quality" music, not the digital sound you'd wanna get from MP3.

G

·
the Sony MZN510CK can be had for $130 plugs into the aux on the wing and comes with a remote in which you can access your 5 hours of music with.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Here is another option to consider
I started out with a Archos Jukebox 6gig MP3 player and it worked great but since I installed my Jensen Sirius Satellite Radio 6mo ago I no longer use the Jukebox. Satellite Radio either XM or Sirius offers so much more variety of music and you can listen to the same station all day.
IMHO Satellite is the only way to go.

:yw1:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks Mike, I will pay mor attention when I go to the electronics store, It's a shame that the sales persons have so litttle information to offer and I have to resort to getting my MP3 information off of a Motorcycle bulliten board! :wink:

Al

·
Registered
569 Posts
iPod

The iPod will plug into your Aux input with no problem. I use a Belkin auto adaptor, which also has a jack for the Honda Aux plug and it works fine. It has never skipped. There is also a company that makes a RF remote control. I have one and it works fine from the passenger seat.

·
Registered
816 Posts
ipod

You may find some other posts in the archives regarding MP3's. I have both the Sony mini disc and ipod. Both will do the job, but the Ipod is way cool with all of the features/function. I have almost 2000 songs loaded and that's several days of continual-no replay- worth of music.

You can search by album, song, artist, genre, and just shuffle them all. You can also create your own special playlists of favorites or whatever. I have some 150 songs in a "road music" list.

It looks like the hot new thing will be big "flash" memory. Very compact, and no moving parts.

So far, my only beef with ipod is that the battery is sealed. What the heck do you do if it fails? Too expensive to just toss.

Just my humble opinions.

·
Registered
69 Posts
iPod

The iPod has a hard drive if I remember corectly, does it skip at all or is the hard drive different then a conventional hard drive? :?

Al

G

·
Re: ipod

OzarksF6 said:
So far, my only beef with ipod is that the battery is sealed. What the heck do you do if it fails? Too expensive to just toss.

Just my humble opinions.
this was on CBS nightly news one night, lots of folks are complaing and Apples response was that the Ipods were made to be thrown away when the battery died, average 18 months of life

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
heres my humble opinion

i have satellite radio that goes between my two bikes and my car

so i have one monthly subscription for all three vehicles

its so easy

the tunes are very fresh

i had a cd changer for years

i always knew the next song

boreing

satellite radio now has no commercials

equipment is cheap

no messing with loading songs

plugs right into the aux jack

very easy

loren

G

·
loren said:
heres my humble opinion

i have satellite radio that goes between my two bikes and my car

so i have one monthly subscription for all three vehicles

loren

I will never pay for radio.....if you can't tune something in that you like on reg radio then thats where a cd or cassette comes in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts