GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using a Creative MicroPhoto MP3 player plugged into the aux port on my 05 wing. Everything works just fine except I have to turn the volume up to almost max on the MP3 player to have acceptable volume from the speakers. When I use the earphones, the volume has to be much lower. Too loud. Is this pretty much normal? Do other brands of MP3 players operate this same way?

thanks

·
Registered
9,132 Posts
That shouldn't be happening. I bet you have the "mute" button pressed on your left controls. Check to make sure that isn't the issue.

When I used my Nano, I only needed the volume up and 75% and controled the rest with the bikes volume controls.

Bartman

·
Registered
705 Posts
Contrary to all belief this depends on the quality of the MP3 file you are listening to and the volume it was recorded at and how much effect was recorded on the track.(Reverb etc etc.)

I went thru this and then started remastering songs to play on the bike.

I raised all my track levels to 96-97Db (Did a lot of other things to numerous to mention)

So far 1175 CD's re-edited to play on the bike.

You will also notice that some songs sound better when the ambience is turned on and some better with the ambience off. This is a direct result of 2 things

Like I said how the song was recorded and what attributes your player has.

Some players have variable settings for effect like.

Rock, Jazz, Trance, Pop etc. Each of this provide a different ambience off the player into the bike sound system.

I have 3 players they all handle the music a little different. I stay away from Apple (personal preference, it's an Itunes issue) but they have a quality product.

A lot of people blame the speakers the system etc etc. The biggest problem is the quality of the track you are putting into the system.

The 2001-05 Wings run a 35W system with 3 Ohm speakers. The 2006 run an 85W system, not sure of the Ohm speaker output.

So on 06's the music input is a lot less critical then previous.

After I did all of this stuff( I need serious medication) my average dialed in level at 70MPH runs 19-21 on the bike volume dial and I run OEM speakers in the front and big bike in the rear (The 2 additional speakers make a big difference)

Next year I will change the speakers in the front to J&M 100W @3 Ohm. I 've had 3 different sets of speakers on the front of the bike. I went back to the OEM (Long Story)

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Do you have a "line out" on the player, or jsut a earphone jack?

Line level signal is what you want if you can get it....line out.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a Creative Zin micro and have found it easier to just turn the MP3 all the way up then adjust the volume at the control pod on the bike.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Redwing03,

Basically that what I do. But depending on what audio level the track is set at you find yourself fiddeling with the volume control. All my tracks are set at a constant volume output, +/1 1.0 Db

·
Registered
378 Posts
Redwing03 said:
I have a Creative Zin micro and have found it easier to just turn the MP3 all the way up then adjust the volume at the control pod on the bike.
Same here.
I use the sansa c150 and m250 mp3 players.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, everyone. I found a program to set all mp3 volumes equal and that really helped. I'm new to this and just wanted to make sure everything was ok. I appreciate all the info.

gary

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MP3Gain is the program I found. Heard about it on this site. Since I've been visiting this site, I've really enjoyed it. Lots of good info.

thanks
gary

·
Registered
705 Posts
The nice thing about mp3 gain is you can bulk change or single trk change. In addition, you have choices of the level and the type of volume adjustment you can make from constant to track to album ver versatile program.
The best part is thats it's FREE

1 - 11 of 11 Posts