GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is any differance in the output volume in any of the mp3 players. I have a cheap one that I use sometimes but at highway speeds it just isn't loud enough. I was wondering if better units play louder before I bought one.

·
Registered
141 Posts
mp3 volume..

Does anyone know if there is any differance in the output volume in any of the mp3 players. I have a cheap one that I use sometimes but at highway speeds it just isn't loud enough. I was wondering if better units play louder before I bought one.
I use an IPOD, and when I first hooked it up, it's volume was turned way down, and no matter how high I turned up the audio system's volume, I couldn't hear it. Once I turned up the player's volume, it's plenty loud. (But not quite as loud as the radio at the same volume setting.)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Radio Shack has a small volume booster for around $20.00. Works pretty good. Might be something to consider.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have a Creative Jukebox. I keep the volume on the player at the highest setting and control with the wing volume. Much louder and clearer than the AM or FM.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Check your MP3 settings. Normally there is a setting for "line" or "headphone" output. You need to set to "line". This disables the volume feature of the MP3 and all volume is then controlled by the stereo receiver. If set to "headphone", volume is adjusted on the MP3 and will be low when attached to a stereo.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have two cheap Nextar MP3 players. I get them at WalMart and Kmart on sale for about $15. I normally have my volume at 16 or 17 at 70 to 80 mph with my full face helmet on.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I think the key words are "I have a cheap one". I have a regular Apple Ipod and it works just fine. As a matter of fact, I have it adjusted so the tunes from the radio are the same volume as the Ipod. Mine holds 120 GB of stuff which is more that I'll ever need and cost about $300. I think it's battery is about 20 hours so I can ride all day and it will not stop playing. It has a hard drive, so I keep it wrapped in a soft towel and it hooks to the AUX chord in the left front pocket of the bike. For me it is one of those things that work as they are designed to work. For you, I suspect the cheap just got expensive to fix. Not to worry, we all have fallen into that trap many, many times.

·
Banned
2,620 Posts
I have a cheap Sandisk MP3 without a volume booster. Got it at Radio Shack. It works great with wing. Make sure you have your AVC activated for the ride.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I have a cheap Sandisk MP3 without a volume booster. Got it at Radio Shack. It works great with wing. Make sure you have your AVC activated for the ride.
Yes, I have to have the AVC activated to get the proper volume level at speed.

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
I have a cheap one that I use sometimes but at highway speeds it just isn't loud enough. I was wondering if better units play louder before I bought one.
I guess the answer is "depends".

I normally use an 8GB Sansa; volume is maxed out on it, but when switching to AUX, I do need to boost the volume just a bit to hear things at the same level.

Have also used my wife's Creative Zen with similar results.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have the 1gig sansa cheapie and turn its volume all the way to max then control sound with the bike control. Works just fine.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My cheap 19 dollar one can barely be heard via aux. But, my 150 dollar nanopod acts as a mini amp and the songs can be heard loud and clear.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I've seen this discussed on other threads, but when you need to turn the volume up to hear the music, you really need to protect your ears from road and wind noise to eliminate permanent hearing damage. If you have to turn the volume up very much, that's a pretty good sign that your ears are probably getting exposed to damaging intensity levels. JMO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts