GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got Itunes downloaded (didn't like vista) and bought a few songs.

But, they are MP4s and my Zumo 450 doesn't recognize them

Is there a feature in Itunes to change an MP4 to an MP3?

·
Registered
425 Posts
MP4's are a secured file type. There are a couple of programs that can digitally convert them, but I've not found a free rendition of them. The easiest way I know of to do what you're trying to do is to use Itunes to burn them to a CD. This must be a regular audio CD, not a data disc. Itunes will only allow you to burn this on a CD-R, not RW so it will cost you a disc each time.

Once you have an audio CD of the songs you want to convert, use Itunes to rip the CD you just created(itunes rip setting can be changed to MP3).

I know it's a hassle, but it's the best way that I know of. I run a Zumo 550 and battle the same problems.

·
Registered
9,107 Posts
Is there a feature in Itunes to change an MP4 to an MP3?
In iTunes, no. Do a Google search, "convert mp4 to mp3" and you find all kinds of information and free apps to do what you want.

Ditto what ddking suggested. Amazon music are mp3's and cheaper. You can still use iTunes to manage your songs and playlists.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Actually, the files from itunes have the extension "m4p". These are "protected" so we don't hurt ourselves with music files. They can be converted to "m4a" files (unprotected) with a bit of wizardry. The real issue is that your zumo will only play files with an "mp3" extension because the only codec in the zumo is for "mp3" files. "m4p/m4a" files require the AAC codec that's only available from apple.

You can burn an mp3 cd of songs from itunes and "convert" them that way.

I personally won't buy any music that has any form of drm on it, but that's just me. The simplest thing is to just buy music in the format you want and avoid all the hoop-jumping.

·
Registered
289 Posts
mp4 to mp3 conversion

Try the Free version of “Switch Sound File Converter”
I have it on my computer and just converted an *.mp4 to a *.mp3 with no problems.
It will do multiple conversions as well.

http://www.nch.com.au/switch/

·
Registered
19,891 Posts
There are a lot of people that are just beginning to explore the online music realm. Unfortunately, even though these companies make it very easy to buy their music, there are many things to think about before forking over your money.

I love the concept of buying music online. but in reality, it has a lot of pitfalls.

1. From a purely technical standpoint, mp3 is inferior in sound quality for a given file size. But unfortunately, it is the only format that just about every player and piece of computer software can play.

2. In light of how rapidly advancements in compression alogorithms appear on the market, it is a crapshoot trying to guess which formats will still be supported in 5 years.

3. The Digital Rights Management issues are only part of the problem. Apple, in their typical greedy fashion, has held their implementation of the mp4 format close to the vest, and refuses to release it to the open market, instead insisting on licensing royalties. That is why you don't see other companies supporting it. They have stuck their noses in the air at Apple, and rightfully so. Apple has never been interested in supporting the computer industry in general, just their own pocket. It is unfortunate. MP4 is a good format.

4. Copying a file makes a perfect clone of that file. But, when you start converting to other formats, converting to other bit rates, or otherwise modifying the original file, you degrade that file even further. It is like copying a cassette to another cassette. Each generation gets worse and worse.

5. Because of all these drawbacks, and more, I have resigned myself to sticking with good old fashioned CDs. In this way, I can rip to whatever format I want, and at any quality level I want, and later go back and rip to yet another format if my needs change. With online purchases, you are stuck with what you get. If I could get files in RAW lossless WMA format, I would consider buying online.

By the way, I had a free trial for Amazon, and found it to be lacking. Many of the most desirable songs are only available if you buy the complete album, and I found the quality to be very inconsistent. Some were top notch, and others were subpar. They are obviously getting their music from a number of sources.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all.

I tried AllMusicConverter, but its 29 bucks for the full version, and the demo will only convert a sample 90 seconds.

Now, I will try the Switch ... demo & check it out.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried Swith Sound File Converter. It downloaded quick, was free, but could only convert three of the seven MP4s. It did not recognize the newer MP4 songs.

But, I wil keep that program anyway!

Thanks.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Song conversion

Kena48

You might try Gold Wave http://www.goldwave.com/release.php
I have version 5.23 There may be newer versions.

I can open a mp4 file and resave it to mp3 format. Only one song at a time, but you can use the program to edit song files and clean them up as well as blending more than one song together.

The interface seems a bit complicated at first ( lots of icons ) but once you get used to doing the basics, it performs real good.

You could use the Switch Sound File Converter for most conversions and if you find a file or two that it can’t convert, you could use Gold Wave.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Kena48

I can open a mp4 file and resave it to mp3 format. Only one song at a time, but you can use the program to edit song files and clean them up as well as blending more than one song together.
Larry31, GoldWave has the option to do Batch Processing. Look in the File Menu. You can specify any number of files to be manipulated.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Gold Wave

Pingjockey

Thanks, I guess I forgot that. It's been a while sence I used Gold Wave.

I don't do much converting. Mostly I record directly to mp3 format.

Larry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts