GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just wondering with the MPA (Michelin Pilot Activ) how many of you had cupping with the stock fork springs or how many with Progressives and if it went away what did you do or change that possibly might have helped the issue. So far I have 12,000 on mine no cupping and Im running Progressives with stock Honda fork oil and my MPA at 38 PSI.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I was set up basically like you. Stock oil (Honda), Progressive springs with 41 and the tire mounted in normal rotation (it just worked out that way). I got just shy of 40K on the tire before I cut it lose. Still had life in it, but I had a few long trips coming up and did not want to push it. Towards the end, I did get some cupping. Not real bad, but it could be felt in the handlebars.

I am now running the BT 45 on the front in normal rotation and 41 in the tire. 17K on it and you would be hard pressed to tell if it just came out of the box. While I really enjoyed the MPA, I see myself going with another BT 45. No buzz at all, and sticks very well in the corners. Both are good. As mine wears on, I will try and share how it looks and is doing.

All the best and ride safe.

·
Registered
258 Posts
mpv tire

Wheel's This Harold from la. I just ordered a new [MPA] tire. I saw Where you had just got rid of one @ about 40k mil. was just worndering how you liked the [MPA] tire? Would you mont it backwards??? Or frontwards?? I've been running the Donlop -e's W/- not much success. thank's for your in help.. Harold :cool::cool:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Wheel's This Harold from la. I just ordered a new [MPA] tire. I saw Where you had just got rid of one @ about 40k mil. was just worndering how you liked the [MPA] tire? Would you mont it backwards??? Or frontwards?? I've been running the Donlop -e's W/- not much success. thank's for your in help.. Harold :cool::cool:
Harold, the MPA is/was a great tire. I certainly could not/can not complain about the mileage I got out of it. It served me very well. I happened to have mine mounted in the normal rotation but do not use my front breaks on the trike so there was no stress on it. The manufacturer suggests a reverse rotation given that it is a rear tire and it makes sense to me to do so when applying breaking on the front. The mounting issue has raised some debate, but all agree it is a great tire. I did have some cupping when I took it off, but not a great deal. Here are a few pics.

Hope this helps. Good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Jim,
That tire still has a good 15 K left on it :yes1: :doorag:

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I ran my MPA for 25K and installed a Metzler Lazertec. Also installed prograssive springs at the same time. No cupping on either. Triple tree needed tightening when I installed the Metzler. Some very minor buzzing on the Metzler for about 500 miles...now none. I went with Metzler because my friend sells them as well as CSC trikes. I am not sure I can tell the difference between the MPA and the Metz....I trade it out @ 25K because I could not believe I could get more out of it. I was wrong, it would have gone another 5-10K. Both reverse rotation @ 41#.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I have had one BT45 and two MPAs. The BT45 I had on my 1500 motortrike and removed it with , I think, 22,000 miles on it. It had at least 5,000 more miles on it but I had a trip coming up and had the MPA sitting here so I changed it. The 45 was mounted in normal rotation and had maybe a slight buzz but hardly noticable. When removed, it had very little signs of cupping.
The MPA I replaced the 45 with was also mounted in normal rotation and had the buzz from the get go. I put maybe 5,000 miles on it the best I can remember and it still had the buzz as well as an abnormal tire wear pattern when I sold the 1500.
The 1800 I now own had the MPA mounted in reverse rotation when I bought it and had about 4,000 miles on it. It had the low speed buzz when I bought it and still has it. It is however smooth at speeds over 40mph. Both tires are really good for the front of a trike but I will more then likely go back to the BT45 when it is time to replace the front tire. Just a personal choice.

·
Registered
154 Posts
This is all great info, as usual...

I've got to bite the big one and put a new front on mine this spring. Have a number of trips planned this year.

Mick, you're so good at research...who's got the deals on an MPA right now? My gal should be back out of the shop this weekend, and needs a new shoe...LOL

Thanks all.

·
Registered
258 Posts
mpa--reply

wheel's-- thanks for the reply. yes it did help. look's like it don't make difference whitch way you mount the tire..i think i'll mount mine backwards;; see what happens...BTW, I was running Donlop-3's & not donlop-e's sorry bot dat... :wrong::cool::cool: Harold from La.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mick, you're awesome as usual.:doorag: Thanks.

Will get one ordered so I won't have to use the new compressor I bought this week....LOL

Hate to be sittin on the roadside on the way to Litchfield...

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You should really be thanking all of these ladies and gentleman. A lot of everything Ive learned Ive learned from all of them on this board.Like everyone else Im glad to be of help to you. Hope to see you soon.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
IMO.... running the MPA on the front, at 38 psi.....
is resulting in a little more cupping than you would get at 41psi.
But, at 41, the front seems a little too stiff for my liking.
So, I run mine at 37-38 and have for about 12K now.
It's definitely showing some cupping. But unless the pattern of wear changes.....
it looks like the MPA will run at least 25-30K.
When Black Pirate and I did 13K in a 6 week trip....
we messed with his front pressure. All the way from 41 down to 34.
Getting to see several thousand miles of wear in 3-4 days made it
pretty obvious at what pressures the cupping was greatest.
Jerry said the front tire had better grip and smoother ride at the lower pressures.
But he also said the tire would lurch, or bounce, when the front started to break free on very hard turns.
He preferred the smoother control at a few more pounds of air and eventually went to 37-38 I believe.
It was interesting that when we put the pressure back to the 40 range....
the cupping that had started..... went away.
He didn't leave the tire at the lower pressures after the cupping became evident so.....
I don't know if cupping that has been growing for a long time....
would go away with a pressure increase.
If you don't mind the slightly stiffer ride of 41 psi.... that seems to be the pressure for best MPA tire life.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dream Catcher do you have stock springs in the front end ,and would you know if Blk Pirate has stock springs also? I can understand about the lurch. I dropped my pressure and it handled and rode nicer,but the lurch in the turn made for an interesting moment.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Yeah Mick..... that little stutter in the steering can get your attention!
I have the completed traxxion Dynamics front end with the 1.2kg/mm springs.
My CSC trike has the Champion EZ-steer modified trail triple trees with the fork tube extensions so it sits a little higher in the front end than it does with the CSC front end.
I don't know if Jerry has the Traxxion cartridges but he does have Traxxion springs. I believe his springs are the 1.0kg/mm.
With my 02 all my front tires cupped. I put the Traxxion on the 07 when it came out of the crate and for 30K as a two wheeler, there was no cupping at all. On the trike, the amount of cupping appears to be directly related to pressure.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is one of those things that it seems no matter what you do the cupping either comes or goes. You would think that maybe having a rake kit with Traxxion or Progressive would either cure or make the issue worse. The possibility being by raking it out further with suspension modifications that you would need a lighter oil in the forks to compensate for a more negative trail on the suspension. Ive had a dealer tell me its caused by weak Honda springs after triking the bike with a lot more load on the front end and the springs cant compensate. Ive also heard that the tires are basically hand made unlike car tires and that there is some leeway in each tire having its own personality. But no matter what it seems to be 6 of one a half dozen of another.I begin to wonder if when the cupping starts if it would be worth it to try Dyna beads to see if that direction would help?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Use the MPA...had it on for 20,000 miles now...cupped at about 7500 miles...have played with the pressure,...up and down from the 41 PSI, but to no avail. Not so bad I have to change it out...lots of tread left, too, so we will see how far we can go. Using Progressive springs...have since before I triked it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You're absolutely right Mick. There are some extremely knowledgeable folks in this forum. It wasn't my intention to slight anyone.

I've learned so much from everyone here, and can't think of any other forum group I'd rather associate with.

Hope to see you n the other half soon, also. Mark your calender for 4/19.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts