GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am at work again but a litte excited. i have a new 2010 wing and i filled it up and was waiting till the gas lite came on to fill it up to see what i got for mileage. it came on while i was pulling into work this am, it was at 219 and i am just a touch under a eighth of a tank. is this the norm?
i think the book says i have 1.6 gal left. it that is true i think i am getting pretty good mileage on it. this was all in town riding also.
what do you all think.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I am not sure what to expect for MPG. I just got back from Jackson Hole. I had one tank of gas that I got 287 miles out of and still had a 1/2 gallon left when I filled it up. That figured right around 50 mpg. Normally I get 35-42 mpg.

·
Registered
250 Posts
i am at work again but a litte excited. i have a new 2010 wing and i filled it up and was waiting till the gas lite came on to fill it up to see what i got for mileage. it came on while i was pulling into work this am, it was at 219 and i am just a touch under a eighth of a tank. is this the norm?
i think the book says i have 1.6 gal left. it that is true i think i am getting pretty good mileage on it. this was all in town riding also.
what do you all think.
The MPG difference between whether you have 1.4 or 1.8 left is large, however 219 with the needle still well above E is very good. You really can only tell MPG when you fill up, though.

If you want to compare tank-to-tank, then when you fill up, try to get to the same level each time. Some people go up to the bottom of the filler neck. Going that high can cause a little backwash if you're not careful, so go slow at the end, but that's as close to a "mark" as there is.

Enjoy the new ride!

·
Registered
275 Posts
what do you all think.
42 to 45 mpg religiously. 230 miles before light comes on.

Tim

·
Registered
297 Posts
cash outlay..

I get a very consistent 40-41 combined mileage. I do have a tendency to twist the throttle more than necessary..:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
42-46 if I am behaving, 36 if I'm not.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Are all these MPG numbers HondaMPG or CorrectedMPG?

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Mine are according to my gps mileage.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
It seems to make a difference what grade gas you use. Reciently, I switched to mid grade and I find I get almost a gallon's worth of millage MORE than I did using low grade.

34-36 mpg with low grade
39-42 mpg with mid grade

So for $.60+/- more I get more miles out of a tank. This is commuting millage doing 60 miles a day in traffic where I average 60mph with top speeds at 72 and few times I'm stopped.

·
Registered
686 Posts
39 - 41, typically. She's getting "blended" gas.

On the road out of WA state (iow, ethanol-free), when not going TOO crazy on the throttle, I've gotten as high as 44-45 mpg. A tad more in some instances.

my 0.02, ymmv

·
Registered
335 Posts
I get 44-47 if I stay at 3100 RPMs, that roughly 70 mph. That is what my speedo shows in 5th gear. I think the true speed is 65 mph per GPS.

·
Banned
3,197 Posts
MPG is a variable based on engine RPM, wind resistance (based on your speed) and to a degree the terrain (climbing altitude or descending altitude).

At 55mph and level terrain the wind resistance is minimal and engine RPM is well below 3000. You're likely to see mileage between 45-50 mpg.

At 85mph with much higher wind resistance and engine RPM above 3500 you're likely to see mileage in the 30-35 mpg area.

The moral to this story isn't whether the MPG numbers I list above are accurate... but in the factual relationship between engine RPM and Wind Resistance impacting MPG results.

________

If you ever find yourself in a position where your low fuel light is on and you need to get as far as possible on the 1.6 gallons you have left in the tank; slow down. At 2000 rpm and 45-50 mph you're probably getting 50+ mpg.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I just got back from a 3000 mile trip to Utah... mileage was around 40 mpg... a lot of Interstate riding at 75 mph. My Harley riding buddy always gets a little bit more in mpg but he also pays more for his gas (91 octane vs. my 85-87). My light doesn't come on until about 200 miles on a tank... but I usually stop before that to stretch my legs! I also have a non-stock, slightly larger windshield which I assume reduces my mpg somewhat (but not much).

·
Registered
557 Posts
At 55mph and level terrain the wind resistance is minimal and engine RPM is well below 3000. You're likely to see mileage between 45-50 mpg.

At 85mph with much higher wind resistance and engine RPM above 3500 you're likely to see mileage in the 30-35 mpg area.
I did not know you could drive a Goldwing at 55mph I thought it fell over I thought you had to be closer to the 85 which probably explains my MPG :lol:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Average for the year

I keep track of mileage on all my vehicles, based on the vehicle's odometer. So far this year the Wing averages 38 mpg...most of the riding is done two-up, and often pulling a trailer.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I bought a new 2010 Wing in March and have about 1950 miles on it. I have consistently gotten 45 mpg. I fill the tank to the bottom of the neck.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I don't have a clue what my mileage is. :oops: I just ride till it gets near the empty, then fill her up. I also don't look at the price. I need my fix. :shock:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
what do you all think.
In my riding I have found this to be normal. Sometimes I hit 219, 225, or 230 miles when the lite comes on.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have gotten a pretty consistent 45 mpg +/-1. There are no interstates around here :) That's riding single.

The trike riding 2up gets around 34.

Ken

1 - 20 of 25 Posts